How Do You Judge on the Hoof?

Outwest

WKR
I drew my first archery antelope tag this year, I have killed antelope with a rifle and a muzzleloader, but this will be my first time with the stick and string. I haven't hunted antelope extensively, so I usually find it pretty hard to size up an antelope unless I can look at it for a while from a few different angles.

I read Travis Bertrand's article in the tips and tactics section on here about field judging (some good info there), but I wanted some input from you guys as well. What do you look for when you are judging antelope on the hoof?

Heres a few pics I snagged of a buck in my archery unit last weekend. Thoughts? Shooter?

ssliger

WKR
It's real early to try and judge an Pronghorn. They grow their tops and cutters from late winter to early spring. Then they will grow length below the cutters thru June. He has good length above the cutter, but has poor cutters. If you get a bunch of moisture he could get real decent length and mass, but he would still have poor cutters. I wait till July to judge Antelope, then my criteria is as follows:
Does his cutters branch above the ears,
How is his mass below and above his cutters,
Does his horns have a good curl,
Then what is his total height.

sdr

FNG
I would recommend "Size Matters" 1 & 2 DVD by Pronghorn Guide Service. There is real good information of judging pronghorns. If this antelope was this big during your season I would say it wasn't a shooter and look for something better. Short prong, prong below the ear and lacking in mass. On horned animals, mass is king. Good luck on your tag.

OP
Outwest

Outwest

WKR
It's real early to try and judge an Pronghorn. They grow their tops and cutters from late winter to early spring. Then they will grow length below the cutters thru June. He has good length above the cutter, but has poor cutters. If you get a bunch of moisture he could get real decent length and mass, but he would still have poor cutters. I wait till July to judge Antelope, then my criteria is as follows:
Does his cutters branch above the ears,
How is his mass below and above his cutters,
Does his horns have a good curl,
Then what is his total height.

I would recommend "Size Matters" 1 & 2 DVD by Pronghorn Guide Service. There is real good information of judging pronghorns. If this antelope was this big during your season I would say it wasn't a shooter and look for something better. Short prong, prong below the ear and lacking in mass. On horned animals, mass is king. Good luck on your tag.

Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know that they continue to grow through June. Moisture is an issue, that part of the state hasn't seen rain in awhile as far as I know. We have a pretty good population of antelope so Im not worried about finding other options.

Just out of curiosity, how tall would you say that buck is?

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Antelope have a long time to go before they are done growing, as has been stated. That is a pretty "little" buck in your picture with his heart shaped curl , but that's about all I would say about him. If it was near the hunting season, I wouldn't even look twice at him as even with the nice curl I doubt he'll break 13" in length. With just average mass and cutters IMHO he needs at least another year or two to get to trophy quality.

mcseal2

WKR
Eastman's book on antelope has a real good field judging section also. I'd agree with the other guys on him. First thing I look for is cutter size and height above the ear. Then mass, finally length.

Greenhorn

FNG
antelope are done growing, and have been for a while, at least by any noticeable amount. Id guess that one's about 12.5" tall.

Greenhorn

FNG
antelope are done growing, and have been for a while, at least by any noticeable amount. Id guess that one's about 12.5" tall.

I'd pass that buck with a NM tag, there is likely a few whoppers in the area. What part of NM are you in?

2rocky

WKR
Anyone feel like a photo judging thread? I ran a tape on last years buck so I could put up photos with known measurements...