How do you keep from sliding off your sleep pad?

Stid2677

WKR
I keep my sleeping bag and pad in a TI goat bivy, that way the pad stays put. I'm a rodeo sleeper and without doing that I always wake up cold and sleeping on the ground.

The other trick I have done, is to take a tube of silicone and poke a small hole in it and squeeze out several rows on tiny dots. This will keep the sleeping bag from slipping off the pad.

Lawnboi

WKR
What pad?

A lot of guys including myself put silicon dots or lines on the sleeping pad so it grips the bag a bit.

A bicycle helps as well

Bivy ^

Last edited:
The bivy solution is one way. I ditched all of my other bags for Big Agnes pads with the built-in sleeve to accomodate a pad. Haven't spent a night in the woods or mountains with it yet, but my trials at home seem like it's gonna do the trick.

Stid2677

WKR
The bivy solution is one way. I ditched all of my other bags for Big Agnes pads with the built-in sleeve to accomodate a pad. Haven't spent a night in the woods or mountains with it yet, but my trials at home seem like it's gonna do the trick.

Been using the Zirkel and Insulated aircore for years, love the combo.

My ThermaRest ProLite 4 fits nicely inside my Wiggys bag. Can't slide off. Having it inside also keeps the bag from wrapping around me when I twist & turn. Not sure what I will do with the BA Insulated AirCore I have on the way...

AndyB

WKR
Clear silicon zig zagging on both side of my Prolite plus, stops movement on the groundsheet when the ground isn't level and bag slip.

Snyd

WKR
BA IAC and Zirkel. Great combo. Before that I put the IAC and TNF Cat's Meow in an ultralight bag cover. Not really a bivy that one would expose to the weather. But, the combo was a little snug. The other nice thing about the IAC pad is that it's stiff enough that you can "shim" under it and the tent to level it out. I've used everything from moss to rocks.

OP
oct71

oct71

Lil-Rokslider
Just don't move! =P

That one made me laugh! I'll get some silicon. I have a thermarest blow up pad and a ridge rest pad. Both are slick and I never find a level place to pitch my

Tent. Thanks guys for the tips.

bard

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone try sewing some elastic straps to there bag on the underside to strap there pad in? Might give that a go. My neoair xlite and cats meow are a very slippery combo.

MattB

WKR
As far as silicone is concerned, I have found the smear works better than the dots. I make some big dots and smear them across the middle ~3/5ths of the pad (~3/4" wide) at roughly shoulder and hip height. The smear seems to work better and be more durable than the dots (I had a number of dots peel off).

Anyone try sewing some elastic straps to there bag on the underside to strap there pad in? Might give that a go. My neoair xlite and cats meow are a very slippery combo.
If I were to do this, I'd probably sew on loops of 1" webbing and use G-hooks on my straps. Easy on & easy off & UL.

I use a Oware bivy bag & 40F bag for summer, and then switch to a 15F Big Agnes bag & pad when it gets colder.
Hunt'nFish