How does one become a poacher?

199p

FNG
I'll tell you......every day these local deer destroy another tree, bush, garden, fence, etc.......the closer I get. We literally had one peeing on our covered back patio last week just outside our sliding glass doors. My daughter said "Make sure you don't leave the door open, or they're be inside soon too".

I asked CPW several years ago if I could hunt these deer. They said "Oh ya, you can hunt them all you want........you just can't legally discharge a weapon in the city limits". SMH
if ones comes in side then wouldn't that turn to self defence? semi serious but all so thinking south park hunting skit

leachguy

FNG
My grandfather poached deer and fish for food to feed his family. My dad mostly plays by the rules but doesn't take much issue with poaching. He grew up with it, but also grew up with more money than my grandpa did. My brother's first deer was shot out of the truck window, before legal light, on someone else's land. My dad was driving. My second deer may have been a similar situation. My brother and I play by the rules now.

Rjk300

FNG
How does one become a poacher? He or she gets caught! IMO most people don’t think what they are doing is all that bad, until they get caught. I would bet most people are guilty of speeding down a road or highway, you’re breaking the law but if you don’t get caught you still do it. If you get caught you probably slow down for a while before you relax from the ticket then eventually start speeding again. I think this is the same with poaching and other activities that break the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
isItFallYet
Some of you didn’t read the story. Dude admitted to killing deer and leaving them where they died—he didn’t eat them. Additionally when he was confronted, he threatened to kill the guy who confronted him. He deserves to be put in a cage.

TSAMP

WKR
Some of you didn’t read the story. Dude admitted to killing deer and leaving them where they died—he didn’t eat them. Additionally when he was confronted, he threatened to kill the guy who confronted him. He deserves to be put in a cage.
People are discussing the title of the thread, with generalizations. Not necessarily this particular offender. I find that subject far more interesting than some dumb violent kid who got caught shooting a 7 pointer.

But hey, we could always start a pot to get this kid some swaros.

How does one become a poacher? He or she gets caught! IMO most people don’t think what they are doing is all that bad, until they get caught. I would bet most people are guilty of speeding down a road or highway, you’re breaking the law but if you don’t get caught you still do it. If you get caught you probably slow down for a while before you relax from the ticket then eventually start speeding again. I think this is the same with poaching and other activities that break the law.
Eh. There’s a huge moral gap between setting the cruise control a few over the limit and committing felonies. For example, I really doubt someone taking home an extra crappie over the bag limit every once in a while gets so comfortable that they start driving around at night killing big bucks for fun. It’s a completely different mindset.

Rjk300

FNG
Eh. There’s a huge moral gap between setting the cruise control a few over the limit and committing felonies. For example, I really doubt someone taking home an extra crappie over the bag limit every once in a while gets so comfortable that they start driving around at night killing big bucks for fun. It’s a completely different mindset.

I agree that the severity is much different but I still feel a person can get comfortable doing bad things negating the severity of their actions in their own mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunting is an endeaver of huge " self governance " most of the time its just you and God watching , but sometimes the Game warden!

I have one friend that grew up so poor that her Dad poached deer for food. Her Dad is a friendly, hardworking, standup guy as far as I’m concerned. He was never caught and I met him a couple decades after those days.

Sad to say I know two guys that got busted poaching this year. Both archery hunters, both were actually friends with each other, and they hunted in very close proximity on separate trips. Person A had a large bull walk by near dark on the day he flew out. Fight or flight kicked in and he shot it. He felt immediate remorse and turned himself in the next day. I can understand a plea deal in that instance.

Person B flew in a couple days after season closed in that area and hunted for 3 days and shot a bull. No way he didn’t know it was closed and went as far as telling others he hunted in an open area. He was eventually busted several months later. In that instance, I see no room for a plea deal. It’s premeditated and there were months where it could’ve been made “right.”

You think you know a guy…….

TSAMP

WKR
I have one friend that grew up so poor that her Dad poached deer for food. Her Dad is a friendly, hardworking, standup guy as far as I’m concerned. He was never caught and I met him a couple decades after those days.

Sad to say I know two guys that got busted poaching this year. Both archery hunters, both were actually friends with each other, and they hunted in very close proximity on separate trips. Person A had a large bull walk by near dark on the day he flew out. Fight or flight kicked in and he shot it. He felt immediate remorse and turned himself in the next day. I can understand a plea deal in that instance.

Person B flew in a couple days after season closed in that area and hunted for 3 days and shot a bull. No way he didn’t know it was closed and went as far as telling others he hunted in an open area. He was eventually busted several months later. In that instance, I see no room for a plea deal. It’s premeditated and there were months where it could’ve been made “right.”

You think you know a guy…….
Story A needs some clarity, he shot minutes after end of legal light?

CorbLand

WKR
My mom grew up dirt poor, like the only running water in the house until she was in school was to the kitchen sink. Pretty sure it was just a hose to to a water faucet too. My grandpa poached a couple elk and deer to feed the family. If it’s honestly the difference between your kids eating and not, shoot away as far as I am concerned.

Someone correct me but they generally do plea deals to guarantee a conviction without having to present evidence. If so, it removes the chance of going to court and someone getting off on a technicality or something going wrong in court. Think the OJ case.

They also help streamline cases and speed it up in a very bogged down judicial system.

I do think that some plea deals are too lenient.

Story A needs some clarity, he shot minutes after end of legal light?
Cannot hunt same day as flying into the field in most instances. That’s the law that was broke. AK doesn’t have shooting hours.

To clarify, I did say a plea deal should be given here. That’s probably the wrong word. A person in this instance should be prosecuted appropriately. With maybe slight leniency.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
You guys need to buy into a COLGS! (COLGS - Conservation Ordered Light Goose Season)

Snow geese have reproduced to a point to where they have become a nuisance. Literally destroying agricultural crops!

In a COLGS hunt, you can use electronic calls, unplugged shotguns and no bag limit!

TSAMP

WKR
Cannot hunt same day as flying into the field in most instances. That’s the law that was broke. AK doesn’t have shooting hours.

To clarify, I did say a plea deal should be given here. That’s probably the wrong word. A person in this instance should be prosecuted appropriately. With maybe slight leniency.
I was aware of flying INTO the field losing a hunt day. The thought of the departure never occurred to me at all. I actually recall sombody killing a caribou and being told their flight was on the way and they would be left if they didn't pack it back in time.

I bet a lot of these people poach because hunting by the rules is "too hard" for them.

They arent willing to put in the effort to learn to hunt legally.

IDVortex

WKR
In my 24 year career I had exactly one poaching incident that involved killing for eating. Large family and poor.

All of our confiscated game went to meat processor (they ground everything into burger) then it was doled out via the food bank, local rest home etc. We were also able to transfer confiscated game to individuals (with just a short form to fill out). I told them I would get the deer they needed, just quit poaching them. Never had trouble with them again.

The vast majority of poaching basically boiled down to ego, sad but true.
Thanks for sharing, always have wondered how many actually needed it, it's always used yo justify but never seen numbers or first account witness to how often it does or doesn't happen.

Regarding thread title, give MF a call and ask him?