How does one become a poacher?

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
I bet a lot of these people poach because hunting by the rules is "too hard" for them.

They arent willing to put in the effort to learn to hunt legally.
The ones I knew, just didn't care. Just kill something. They even bought all the appropriate tags and license.
One of them even bragged about his exploits. Sadly, everytime he went afield, it was if he was attempting to break game laws.

mtluckydan

Lil-Rokslider
In Montana and Idaho a large number of local hunters road hunt - shoot animals from the vehicle - with their kids, wives, friends...and it's a perfectly acceptable social hunting method, but illegal as far as I know unless you have a handicap permit. Is that poaching? I'm betting the majority of guys poaching to feed their families are smart enough not to get caught as opposed to the trophy poacher who doesn't necessarily think ahead and acts in the moment. You either follow the rules...all the rules including the speed limit or you don't...judging people for one type of rule breaking vs another must have something to do with looking in the mirror every morning and trying to justify to yourself you're not as bad as that other guy.

You either follow the rules...all the rules including the speed limit or you don't...judging people for one type of rule breaking vs another must have something to do with looking in the mirror every morning and trying to justify to yourself you're not as bad as that other guy.
?????
The entire justice system is based on levels of severity and intent.

MTtrout

WKR
I'll tell you......every day these local deer destroy another tree, bush, garden, fence, etc.......the closer I get. We literally had one peeing on our covered back patio last week just outside our sliding glass doors. My daughter said "Make sure you don't leave the door open, or they're be inside soon too".
I get it and experience it everyday in my yard. But I also fence in what I don’t want the deer to get to. Have you tried that?

MTtrout

WKR
How does someone become a poacher? Product of their environment, out cast, trying to live up to the success they perceive, want to be proud of themselves or others to respect them, find something they can focus on,… The list goes on an on.

Poachers are not hunters and we should view them the same as anti hunters.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
The difference?

One paid the government and got a tag, the other didn't. And/or follows the rules or doesn't.

Is one more morally or ethically correct? I argue it depends.

Devil's Advocate...There are people out there hunting to just put meat on the table for their family. You won't hear these people brag or boast about hunting or what they killed. Lots of locals can't even get tags for areas their families have lived and hunted for decades to over a century. So guess what they do?

I feel like this website caters to middle to upper middle class older guys that don't understand what its like to be poor. So potentially can't see that perspective.

Last edited:
One paid the government and got a tag, the other didn't.

Is one more morally or ethically correct? I argue it depends.
One sided with the universally accepted idea that wild game would be decimated without regulations and buys a tag to fund that concept...

Let's hear your argument for the other.

Devil's Advocate...There are people out there hunting to just put meat on the table for their family. You won't hear these people brag or boast about hunting or what they killed. Lots of locals can't even get tags for areas their families have lived and hunted for decades to over a century. So guess what they do?

I feel like this website caters to middle to upper middle class older guys that don't understand what it’s like to be poor. So potentially can't see that perspective.
This is your edit since being quoted.

Since you’re from CO, do you really think the majority of people on this forum who are legally paying $800 for an elk tag would pity a local poacher skipping their $60 fee to put hundreds of lbs of meat on the table by stealing from everyone else playing by the rules? There are food stamps, food banks, and other resources (including hunters) available for those who are really in need and seeking help. Your argument is more about entitlement than desperation.

I have jokingly said in the past after not getting any tags that I wonder how long a guy would get away with just going hunting without one.
The way things are shaping up with tag availability and prices, I wouldn’t be surprised to start seeing this happen more in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenLee

WKR
In Montana and Idaho a large number of local hunters road hunt - shoot animals from the vehicle - with their kids, wives, friends...and it's a perfectly acceptable social hunting method, but illegal as far as I know unless you have a handicap permit. Is that poaching? I'm betting the majority of guys poaching to feed their families are smart enough not to get caught as opposed to the trophy poacher who doesn't necessarily think ahead and acts in the moment. You either follow the rules...all the rules including the speed limit or you don't...judging people for one type of rule breaking vs another must have something to do with looking in the mirror every morning and trying to justify to yourself you're not as bad as that other guy.
Most food hunters/poachers know how to not take pics and brag about their kills.

OP
isItFallYet
If I was on a jury to convict someone for subsistence consumption of say a wt, Im not sure I would vote to convict.

The more I think about it, the cloudier it gets. Originally, the money from tags was supposed to be used for conservation management. Im not sure that’s completely accurate nowadays. Especially when antis are using Pittman Robertson funds to reintroduce predators while also removing predator management by means of hunting.

Most of the poachers I have met just seemed to enjoy ”The Game“. Beating the system and feeling like they got away with something. A few have a semi valid complaint about being totally priced out of their local game by visitors from afar. Breeds a sense of resentment.
The rural guy with the hungry family these days eats lots of wild pork. It’s the new Food Bank open year round.