How does one become a poacher?

We see people like this too often. How long before this kid starts killing people instead of animals? Im pretty sure this wasn’t about filling his freezer.

KHNC

WKR
Wow, They only seized a muzzleloader? No rifles? must be a quick reloader.

Wow, They only seized a muzzleloader? No rifles? must be a quick reloader.

"He also was ordered to pay $12,500 in restitution, had his hunting privileges revoked for life, and forfeited a spotlight, muzzleloader, a rifle, a compound bow, deer meat, turkey parts, and 14 deer racks."

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'll tell you......every day these local deer destroy another tree, bush, garden, fence, etc.......the closer I get. We literally had one peeing on our covered back patio last week just outside our sliding glass doors. My daughter said "Make sure you don't leave the door open, or they're be inside soon too".

I asked CPW several years ago if I could hunt these deer. They said "Oh ya, you can hunt them all you want........you just can't legally discharge a weapon in the city limits". SMH

OP
isItFallYet
Says 6 months for each big game violation. Wonder if that includes the 15 deer from 2020 too?

TSAMP

WKR
I think alot of it starts as rural teenagers with a lack of respect for mostly everything and long leashes from their parents.

I know as a kid growing up it was a known hobby for some at my school. A kid a few years older who was heavy into church activities even got caught and lost a rifle and hunting privileges, nearly lost his vehicle.

I think most grow out of it, the ones that don't turn Into the people we read about today.

Amos Keeto

Lil-Rokslider
"poacher" - one who cracks eggs into boiling water

"poacher" - one who breaks game laws, intentionally (?)

I've known just about all types "poacher".
Night hunter, out of season, antlered in antlerless, exceed bag limit, etc, etc....

Though it was still illegal, knew one guy who poached the occasional deer, but it was always to feed his family.

Easy to understand how poor influences from family or friends or both lead this kid to become a poacher. And easy to see why what he did is so wrong.

It is surprising how many people can become poachers through greed and justification though. And generally for those people the justification gets easier the bigger the antlers get. They might be a very small percentage of hunters, but they end up making the rest of us look bad just because they wanted the prestige of having a bigger trophy than their neighbor.