How long does this stuff last?? - Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, Skre, Asio, etc question.

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
I recently made a post in the classifieds looking for a well used “full system” of premium camo clothing (sz L, 33 or 34 waist). I’m not currently in a position to buy a full system new or lightly used and I figured there must be someone out there with 3, 4, 5+ year old gear that they’re planning on selling and upgrading this year (ripped, torn, stained - all fine).

I received an underwhelming response to that post so far which has left me wondering - how long does this stuff last??

Just looking on input on how you’ve justified the investment for premium gear and how much use/many years you’ve gotten out of it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianrossman1

Lil-Rokslider
I think to start, instead of looking for a full kit you should piece one together. Personally I have never ran a full kit, I target the items that work best and pair them together.

I don’t particularly care about camp or solids, I look for gear that works and tailor to my hunts.

OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
I think to start, instead of looking for a full kit you should piece one together. Personally I have never ran a full kit, I target the items that work best and pair them together.

I don’t particularly care about camp or solids, I look for gear that works and tailor to my hunts.

I appreciate the advice - I guess my thought/hope was to get a well used kit and cycle in new pieces as I figured out what worked for me. I’m also just looking for a strictly hunting kit, not too concerned with what I wear around camp.

I don't own any Sitka, Kuiu, First Lite, Skre, Asio.
My Dana Designs backpack is from 1993...still my go-to pack today.
My commercial fishing rain gear is from 1989....still on my boat for windy/rainy days.
My MSR whisperlite stove is from the 1980s...still use it for most hunts.
My Leki trekking poles are from the 1990s and I use them year round.
Reliable gear can last many decades.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Barring an encounter with something sharp or hot, most stuff lasts several hundred days of use. It seems like most folks either tweak their system often and sell stuff that is barely broken in or they keep stuff forever.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
this is a photo from 2011 first year of kuiu jacket still in use and the sitka pants have been bomb proof...not much of my kuiu has worn out other than gaiters some has some abuse and wear spots but it has been money well spent on the clothing side🤙

Attachments

• 33E7FC24-6224-48CB-AD9C-2EF3710495CD.jpeg
    33E7FC24-6224-48CB-AD9C-2EF3710495CD.jpeg
    447.5 KB · Views: 85
OP
ChurchAl

ChurchAl

Lil-Rokslider
this is a photo from 2011 first year of kuiu jacket still in use and the sitka pants have been bomb proof...not much of my kuiu has worn out other than gaiters some has some abuse and wear spots but it has been money well spent on the clothing side

Now this is awfully convincing!

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
It will all last a long while. I agree with Brian about piecing it all together. We have a long time till the seasons open up, for the most part. I would start with an outerlayer, that will be the most expensive and critical piece in bad weather. Base layers are extremely important, but for $40 you can have new underarmour 2.0s, so you can go cheap for baselayers to start with.

rclouse79

WKR
Unless I got a bad pair, I wouldn't count on more than a couple seasons from kuiu attack pants. Mine pile up something terrible, have come unsewn in multiple places and seem to get holes easier than cheaper pants. I have had good luck with the heavy weight kuIu peleton. I wouldn't spend the money for a camo puffy. I only wear one when I am glassing in the cold or at night.

Most of my stuff lasts several years before it gets worn thin in the crotch and torn and tattered from brush and briars. I also have a teen son that gets my hand downs.

I wouldn’t buy a “kit” from an outfit. You should just buy stuff piece at a time and build what works for you.

I’d start with the Pants. They seem the most important and not offered by non-hunting outfits. (Yeah, folks recommend different golf pants and such, every one I’ve tried sucked)
Kuiu attack pants, or First lite, or Sitka.
You can get a base layer from Costco, under armor, ect....
Get a fleece jacket from Cabelas, REI, ect....
Then spend $250 or more on a good set of boots.
Then gaitors, Kuiu
Then consider quality rain wear from Under armor, Kuiu, or Sitka. That stuff is $500+ a set.
Then you can go back and start upgrading base layers, soft shell, mid layer long sleeve shirts/hoodies, gloves, ect....

Its fairly often I hop out of the rig wearing $1000 worth of clothing. And carrying 5x that amount. You don’t want to buy all that in one season, though I do know folks who have.

Last edited:

WKR
Synthetic can last nearly forever. I have a Patagonia r1 fleece that can vote... It's still good to go.

Merino layers seem to wear out faster. I got 5 years, out of a kuiu merino base layer and it started to develop holes. Still usable, but I like my backcountry gear to get tip top shape plus I really like base layers with hoods,, so it was replaced.

A lot has to do with intensity of use, and days in the field. Heavy pack staps soaked with sweat/salt are what finally killed the base layer.

Wearing out gear is a wonderful feeling.

I have a 7 year old pair of coyote brown Kuiu Attack pants. I wear them hunting, hiking, fishing, camping, lounging, out in town and to work. I live in these pants and they show wear but have not failed. They have been torn by barbed wire, covered in blood, and abused. They are my favorite pants and did not expect them to last this long. I do mend them as needed.
As posted by 307 above I also have Patagonia R1 fleece that is over a decade old and still looks new. It gets worn +/- 4 months every fall and winter.

I do not trust a man in all matching camo. Unless he’s on duty in BDU’s. I popped for a Sitka kelvin lite hoodie last year, it’s pretty awesome. It’s so comfy I slept in it one night when we bivouacked. Inside my sleeping bag.

Catchfish

WKR
What you need is really dependent on where you live. What I use in Alaska is different from what somebody uses in Oregon, Arizona or Georgia. Where are you planning on hunting at?

Carlin59

WKR
You’ll get a lot of individual options on this topic, so I’ll throw mine in the ring. Skip looking for a full set initially, particularly a camo set. Opening your options to non-camo introduces a lot of non-hunting brands that offer great deals on solids (think STP), as well as hunting brands offering solids at a discount (used or new). Consider when a full set of camo would be really useful. If it’s pouring bad enough for a set of waterproof hard shell, I’d argue camo is irrelevant and individual pieces from whatever major brand (hunting vs. hiking, camo vs non camo) is cheapest. Same with a puffy. Even for pants, I’d open my option for earth tone ~$50 Eddie Bauer Guide Pro/Prana Zion/Marmot/Patagonia discount pants vs a hunting-specific camo pant at ~ $100. If anything, I’d find a mid weight camo mid/base layer top for archery as a starting point from the primary hunting brands. After that, fill in baselayers/pants/shells/puffies however/wherever you can find them cheap. Good luck , and if you are considering a specific piece and are unsure, throw it out to this forum and you will more than likely get direct experience feedback .
Good luck!

ppwack02

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a Kuiu guy and have been piecing a collection together the last 4 or 5 years. I've been pretty impressed with about everything except the gaiters. They work great but I feel like I have to replace them every year. Some of my gear has holes in it, but patching it up seems to work fine. I tend to beat the shit out of my stuff. I will say though I feel like the quality has gone down a little bit since Jason pasted. I've never had any problems with their customer service, but have seen rants about them lately.

I would agree with the others with piecing together a set. Find out what works for you. I started with a Sitka Jacket that I found at Costco for $80 bucks. Which was used until I lost around 100lbs and was way to big. It was great for my first few moose and caribou seasons. I won a few items from SCI up here in AK also.

My first Kuiu purchase was a pair of brown attack pants on sale. I wear them damn near everyday and they still have plenty of life in them after 3 years. Since then I have expanded the collection but I don't ever buy anything unless it's on sale so it takes awhile. Usually every sale they run I find a piece or two I'd like to try. The sales this last year have been pretty lame though.

Mt Al

WKR
Lasts a long time as long as it doesn't suffer catastrophic failure like gets cut, burned, etc.. I've had to replace a zipper on a Sitka jacket that's almost as old as the company and gets used a ton. Now it works like new. The zipper is black, doesn't have the cammo tape on either side of the coil but the animals don't seem to care. One patagonia jacket from 30+ years ago is on its second zipper replacement. I've also fixed a few pieces that had cuts with iron-on patches. The patches are black, not cammo, and it doesn't matter one bit. I had the butt crack seam of some light weight Sitka bird hunting pants fixed by an alternation place - was getting windy back there. My Dana packs refuse to fail and taunt me when I take out a Mystery Ranch, I can feel it, though my wife thinks it's not true and I just need professional help.

archp625

WKR
I appreciate the advice - I guess my thought/hope was to get a well used kit and cycle in new pieces as I figured out what worked for me. I’m also just looking for a strictly hunting kit, not too concerned with what I wear around camp.

I am sure you already have used stuff you hunt in right now. I am with others. Buy piece by piece on sale. Right now is a good time to find sales. More than likely you will end up trying a bunch and realizing you don't wear it enough and sell or trade for some of piece of clothing. Eventually you will get the system that works for you.

The other guys I hunt with do not have the same system as me. we do have some that are the same but everyone is different in how they stay warm or how active they are.

The clothing deal to me is a trial run until you get exactly what you want.

Welcome. I think the answer to your question is use. Specifically use days. I know rangers, guides, park personnel and a few lucky souls that spend 150 to 250 days a year in the back country. One guy told he favors Norwegian welted soled boots because he wears them slick 2x per year.

with that level of use, I could see tearing up bear pretty fast. For me, apiece of clothing might get used 2-5 days per year for something specialized or maybe 20-30 days a year for something I pack all the time. With that level of use, I have some gear that is decades old. I was wearing a pair of 1995 danner winter boots just this moning thinking they may be due for another resole (2nd). granted, they probably spent 10 years in a box when I lived in warm climates, it They are still going strong.

interestingly old gear can present some problems. Hydrolyzed or pealing waterproofing. Deteriorated goretex membranes. Crumbling midsoles on Asolo boots that aren’t all that damn old!!!

...anyway. good stuff should last if you take care of it. For many, they will get bored and upgrade or update long before they wear something out.