How long will the ammo shortage last?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alternative in the meantime is to buy something that shoots the ammo on the shelf. At Cabelas today you had a choice of 6.5-300 wby, 375H&H, or slugs

z987k

WKR
Alternative in the meantime is to buy something that shoots the ammo on the shelf. At Cabelas today you had a choice of 6.5-300 wby, 375H&H, or slugs
I've noticed there's no shortage of shotgun shells. Everything from .410 to 10ga to include the oddballs like 28, 24, 32ga. Any shotsize or slugs you want, lead, steel and bismuth.

MattB

WKR
I do like to remind people that Obama signed the bill that made suppressors somewhat easier to get, removing the CLEO notification and also signed the bill that allowed us to carry in national parks. Both of which were really big for me.

Trump banned bump stocks, passed no pro-gun legislation at all and in 2018 said "Take the guns first, go through due process second."

Based on actual action taken, rather than words, I'm not sure why there would be a worry about a Democrat in office.
I am not someone who thinks they sky is falling with Biden, but legitimately he does have a much more developed anti-gun platform than Obama did.

An article I read recently suggested Obama was a bit hamstrung in his first term on anti-gun measures as that was not central to his platform. Not much got passed during his second term despite Sandy Hook, but that was more due to the composition of the congress than what he would have signed had the legislation made it to his desk.

Rokbar

WKR
I do like to remind people that Obama signed the bill that made suppressors somewhat easier to get, removing the CLEO notification and also signed the bill that allowed us to carry in national parks. Both of which were really big for me.

Trump banned bump stocks, passed no pro-gun legislation at all and in 2018 said "Take the guns first, go through due process second."

Based on actual action taken, rather than words, I'm not sure why there would be a worry about a Democrat in office.
Obama Defends Bush Rule on Permitting Guns in National ...www.foxnews.com › politics › obama-defends-bush-rule-...
Bush EO'd allowing firearms in national parks, Obama just did not rescind the order.

Fatcamp

WKR
I am not someone who thinks they sky is falling with Biden, but legitimately he does have a much more developed anti-gun platform than Obama did.

An article I read recently suggested Obama was a bit hamstrung in his first term on anti-gun measures as that was not central to his platform. Not much got passed during his second term despite Sandy Hook, but that was more due to the composition of the congress than what he would have signed had the legislation made it to his desk.

The Democrats spent all their political capital passing Obamacare. If they had held the Senate you can bet they would have pushed through gun control measures much like NY and CA. They will this time if they gain control of the Senate.

People will stick their heads in the sand and ignore clear signs of pending legislation from the leftists. Oh, well.

I firmly believe a country gets the government it deserves, and America is seeing that in real time.

I’m gonna say six months to a year.
I picked poor time to have my .243 switched over to a 6.5 Creedmoor.
I know a older gentleman who is an ammo hoarder. I got to know him and he showed me his collection of ammo which if the zombies come that will wind up being a poor decision on his part because his ammo will become my ammo Lol. At the time he showed me around I would guess he probably had 70-75,000 rounds of 22lr, 50-60,000 rounds of assorted .223, by his count over 100,000 rounds of 30-06, and tens of thousands of assorted cartridges some that he didn’t even have guns for. It was really something to see. What’s weird is I bet he didn’t shoot a box of shells through any of his guns in a year.

It's not true, like all of it.

Obama is listed at gun shows as the sales person of the year every year he was in office. When you say "executive action" and "gun control" in a single sentence, no laws are necessary. People freak out as they should.
That's the worst counter argument I've seen...maybe ever.
The man listed several proveable points. You claim none of it's true and refute with "sales person of the year" nonsense. Hahaha.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

z987k

WKR
I’m gonna say six months to a year.
I picked poor time to have my .243 switched over to a 6.5 Creedmoor.
I know a older gentleman who is an ammo hoarder. I got to know him and he showed me his collection of ammo which if the zombies come that will wind up being a poor decision on his part because his ammo will become my ammo Lol. At the time he showed me around I would guess he probably had 70-75,000 rounds of 22lr, 50-60,000 rounds of assorted .223, by his count over 100,000 rounds of 30-06, and tens of thousands of assorted cartridges some that he didn’t even have guns for. It was really something to see. What’s weird is I bet he didn’t shoot a box of shells through any of his guns in a year.
What covid has taught me is that if there's a zombie virus, the gun/ammo hoarders are going to be the zombies.

z987k

WKR
A law that was attached to another massive bill. It is disingenuous to make it appear it was a stand alone action. It was not.
Are there other types of bills that actually pass?

Single issue bills are all but non-existent.

I was just comparing and contrasting actions actually taken by the last 2 presidents. And IMO, those actions do not support the sky is falling narrative.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Let’s hear it. Who has ungodly piles of primers stocked up.
Thats the issue. There are not enough primers. CCI is 2 BILLION primers behind in production and so are the others that make them.....remington, federal and winchester.

Randy

wildcat33

WKR
I've been through this a few times now, so I should have learned my lesson but I was just cycling through the last of my 9mm and 40sw when this all hit. Put off restocking cuz i didn't want to drop 500 bucks on a few thousand rounds. So larder is empty at present. Plenty of rifle supplies and 22, but no pistol ammo. So just have to wait it out.

If you take emotion or identity out of it and treat it like guessing the odds on the stock market, obama didnt do anything on guns for 8yrs, so my money is that neither will biden. But as pointed out above, I have to be optimistic.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
21Oct

Why Is There a Primer Supply Shortage?​

If you’ve tried to purchase ammo or reloading supplies lately, you’ve probably noticed a lot of products are out of stock. Of all the components needed to reload ammo, it seems primers are the toughest to find, prompting many reloaders to refer to the current crisis as “The Great Primer Shortage of 2020.” The primer supply shortage doesn’t just affect reloaders, though. It’s also limiting the production of many popular types of ammunition. This can be frustrating for shooters and hunters looking to keep their edge on the range, and can be concerning for preppers, survivalists, and others who are concerned about their safety.
We are in the midst of the greatest primer shortage of all time, and we don’t see things getting better anytime soon. Read on as the experts from Powder Valley delve deeper into the primer shortage of 2020.

A Massive Increase in Demand​

Like any other product in a market economy, primers are subject to the whims of supply and demand. As far as demand is concerned, a perfect storm of factors has caused a run on the ammo market like we’ve never quite seen before. A mix of the Covid-19 pandemic, civil unrest, and the possibility of an anti-2nd amendment President and Senate has caused demand to skyrocket. The pandemic specifically has incentivized shooters to learn how to reload their own ammo.
We have an extremely large number of new reloaders who have entered the market. The NSSF estimates that first time gun owners has increased to 6.2 million people over the past few months. Unfortunately, many of those reloaders entered the market anticipating that it would be easier to make their own ammo since readily available ammunition was so difficult to find. With shortages of bullets, powder, brass and primers, that has simply not been the case
Since so many people have lost a chunk, or all of their income, it makes sense that reloading, which saves on the cost of ammo at the expense of time, would become more popular than ever. Even if you’re financially stable, reloading and shooting are great socially distant activities you can do while the movie theaters, bowling alleys, and bars are shut down. With little answers on the virus, it’s hard to see when these closures and limitations will end. This is why we believe this could end up being the greatest primer shortage of all time.

Hoarding​

When there is a primer shortage the first thing people normally point to is consumer hoarding. We believe this is having an impact on availability, but probably not to the extreme that many think. There are definitely some profiteers who buy primers and then sell them on auction sites or other multi list sites. This is why many online retailers have now chosen to limit the purchase quantities to an extreme low level in an effort to reduce this.

Disruptions in the Supply Chain​

Demand, however, is just one part of the story. Disruptions in the supply chain have also made a big impact on the availability of primers. When it comes to ammunition supplies, bullets are easy to manufacture, brass can be re-used, and powder is generally stockpiled by companies (though perhaps not the kind you’re looking for). This leaves primers, which are relatively difficult to make, as the component that causes the bulk of ammo shortages.
In the U.S., only four companies (Winchester, Remington, Federal, and CCI) manufacture primers for civilian use, law enforcement, and the military. Even under perfect circumstances, there’s only so much they can produce at once, and needless to say, circumstances have not been perfect during the pandemic. People getting sick, missing work to take care of their kids, and self-quarantining – from factory workers to delivery drivers, and all throughout the supply chain – caused a lull in manufacturing this spring.
The Remington bankruptcy has had a large impact on the shortage of ammo and primers. With Remington in a state of financial insolvency for the past two years, suppliers were demanding payment upon delivery for products. Remington simply did not have the financial capabilities to have an abundance of raw materials on hand and had to shutter some of their production capacity. Barnes bullets and primers were hit particularly hard in the reloading market. With the recent purchase of Remington by Vista, there is a good chance that Vista will be diverting CCI and Federal primers that would typically go to reloaders to Remington ammunition production. Remington primer production capacity has never been great. The hope would be that Vista will place more emphasis on getting the Remington primer production capacity increased substantially and quickly. The best news coming out of this is for Barnes fans. With Sierra’s purchase of Barnes we anticipate the availability of Barnes bullets to increase substantially in a very short period of time.
In 2008 we saw a huge influx of Russian primers. We are not seeing that this time as the Murom Apparatus Producing plant is only producing at partial capacity due to the COVID-19 restrictions. On top of that, there have been changes in upper management at Murom which have caused further disruptions. But, we are very hopeful that these changes will have a positive effect on production and distribution in the long run.
With import restrictions out of Russia, we do not anticipate seeing the help we had from them in 2008-2012. We had also seen S&B, Unis Ginex and other foreign brands of primers enter the market during the shortages to relieve some of the pressure, but aren’t seeing that influx of primers this time around. The lack of foreign primers on the market is a major reason we believe this shortage is going to last for quite some time. We may see some help from foreign primers, but we don’t anticipate the large volumes we’ve seen previously.

What Should You Do?​

As an individual, as of right now, there’s little you can do in the face of the reloading equipment supplies shortage. Keep checking your trusted online distributor Powder Valley for new arrivals of primers from all four manufacturers.
We have created some very stringent limitations on the purchase of primers in an effort to help as many people as possible work through this extremely tough time. Normally, we would say “stock up.” But that time has passed, and I would encourage everyone to learn from this. Stock up in times of plentiful supply so that you are not affected as greatly during these times of extreme shortage.
In the meantime I would encourage everyone to pray for our country and our leaders as we navigate this perilous situation.
FacebookTwitterShare

Squincher

WKR

Also, it didn't hurt anything that Operation Gunrunner blew up in his face. He was politically astute enough to stay away from the issue that might require he explain the murder of BP Agent Terry.

FLAK

WKR
I think its gonna be a while (couple years), but I'm good. Saw this coming long time ago.
However, my newly created back yard range wont get much activity till things
get back to normal.
And if you keep your eyes open you will find a few morsels from time to time.

Fatcamp

WKR
Are there other types of bills that actually pass?

Single issue bills are all but non-existent.

I was just comparing and contrasting actions actually taken by the last 2 presidents. And IMO, those actions do not support the sky is falling narrative.

I don't know your intention but this narrative is pushed all the time:

Obama=CCW in National Parks
Good guy alert!

Trump=Banned bumpstocks
Republicans bad!

I'm done trying to educate people, and maybe you know all about it, but our course is set at this point. The Left is not 2A friendly regardless of how people cherry pick their words and actions.

From an ABC article:
"In her presidential plan, Warren echoed Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., in pledging to act on gun control within her first 100 days through executive action. Harris, too, has since ended her presidential bid.

Harris, who announced her plan in April, said she would also require near-universal background checks to be run by people selling more than five guns in a year and revoke the licenses of gun manufacturers and dealers that break the law. She has also talked about renewing the 1994 law that banned assault weapons but expired in 2004 -- an idea with near universal support among Democratic candidates."

This took less than a minute to find and share. There are mountains of it and it is going to happen.

sndmn11

WKR
I'd imagine on some sort of liberal forum four years ago the sky was falling; "he's going to end healthcare!", "He's going to deport children!", Etc. Then someone was smart enough to remind folks that executive orders can, and regularly do, get challenged in court. Poopy ones get reversed before going into effect, and others get revoked by the next executive.

Fatcamp

WKR
I'd imagine on some sort of liberal forum four years ago the sky was falling; "he's going to end healthcare!", "He's going to deport children!", Etc. Then someone was smart enough to remind folks that executive orders can, and regularly do, get challenged in court. Poopy ones get reversed before going into effect, and others get revoked by the next executive.

Four years ago? That was the Democrat debates. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.