How many inches to justify a shoulder mount for you?

Curious what kind of elk would you justify shoulder mounting vs horn/European mount. I know this will vary person to person and based on what they have already taken down.

about to go on my first guided hunt. I have no idea what is “worth” mounting. The experience will be fantastic whether I bring home a 350 bull or not but this in all likelihood will not be the only hunt I ever go on.

my first mule deer and antelope hunt I shoulder mounted both animals which were fair adult representatives of the species. My second hunt money was much tighter and despite killing much better animals I only had the money to shoulder mount the deer. Wishing I had done euro mounts for both of my first animals. Between all 4 whitetail, 2 muleys, a goat I’m running out of room short term until we upgrade the house and an elk takes up A LOT of real estate

Broomd

WKR
This may not be the consensus answer here, but for me a mount isn't predicated on 'inches,' it's about memories and reliving that experience.
Some of the more modest animals on our walls are the most special.

A 380" bull shot off the side of the trail ten minutes into the hunt may hold very little special memories.

Geewhiz

WKR
For me I think it would have to be a real dandy bull to warrant a shoulder mount. Like 340+

Besides I don't have room for the thing anyway so it would have to hang at the folks till I get my mansion built. 😜

slick

WKR
Elk- likely all euro mounts...but 340+ would likely get the nod
Antelope- 80+ just something about a low-mid 70s buck that doesn't look as impressive to me.
Mule Deer- 190+
Sheep- Likely euros
Mountain Goats- 50

That being said, I have exactly one of those mounted.

I had my first bull mounted. It was only a 5 x 5, but I worked my butt off for it, and it holds plenty of fond memories. Shot it in 1990, and got it from the Taxidermist in Sept 1991. I hung it up in the living room, and just had to sit and admire it for hours, smiling from ear to ear. I'm so happy I had it mounted.

I have had two more mounted since then, both 6X6.

OP
A
Obviously a special story, or unique characteristics might trump inches, certainly with white tail that has been the case before for me. Being my first time I have no idea what I should even pass on much less consider shoulder mounting

wife is the other issue. She’s only gonna tolerate so many . Wouldn’t want to put something less than marginal on the wall if I’m lucky enough to come home with something then turn into an all out war in 2-3 years if I kill a 400 incher

I’ve already said anything over 420 gets full body mount 😝

I don't have room in my new house. I have a 360" euro next to my bed because I don't have anywhere else to put it.

I'd cape out smaller critters for practice and such. But I would have to be really stoked on it to shoulder mount anything.
Money I could put into more hunting.

Bump79

WKR
I'm gonna say.... 380+ for an Elk

Deer, antelope, most elk I'd just euro. I prefer it and takes less space.

OP
A
Last guided deer hunt I went on, a guy in camp killed a bull that probably went over 200 typical on one side and had a drop club thing that looked like a Louisville slugger dropping off its head on the other with a nasty long tine kicking off.

outfitter has been trying to get someone to shoot it for 2 years and people kept passing because it was a freak . When it rolled into camp I definitely decided that I wouldn’t have been one of those people that let it walk. Thing was massive

For me, ~350" or so. At that size its a great representative of the species. I mostly hunt idaho, so those really huge bulls (380+) are more rare than the other western states because of how they're managed by the state.

I think just having one elk shoulder in a house is enough. From now on I would likely do euros. I have one shoulder right now (wifes) and mines on the way. I honestly don't know where I can put it at this point but I'm sure in one of my future homes I will figure it out.

Deer is a little different because of the space required. If you like it and it means something to you, mount it.

hflier

WKR
Not related to inches for me. Its the memory. I mounted a tiny Coues deer because it was my first and the experience was awesome. Wife mounted a small Pronghorn because it was her first big game animal. I have some big whitetails mounted, not primarily because of their size, but because I chased each for at least 3 years before I was successful. I remember each situation vividly.

TX_Diver

WKR
My wife wants everything shoulder mounted because she's not a fan of the euro mounts...

But an elk takes up A LOT of space so it'd need to be a big one for me to actually shoulder mount. My only elk is euro mounted and I got a cool mounting plate for it from my neighbor... Will post a pic later. I love it.

WCB

WKR
A solid 320 5x5 or even 6x6 is a damn nice elk. Very Very few hunters actually kill bulls much over 300". I think that is where I would draw the line.

Well I must be the odd man out here...I just got all 3 deer I shot last year mounted and 1 from the year before. I have a bunch Euros and am going to do more of those. Plus I have a bunch of other mounts and my wife's. We have 25ish mounts in our house from full body Tahr to ducks. 12 are shoulder mounts. Add on another 8 or 9 euros.

TheTone

WKR
I may never get one mounted. It’s really hard for me to justify the cost and the room they take up. I’ve got a mule deer and pronghorn mounted already and sometimes I wish I just had them as euros so I could actually hold them and move them around the house. It would take a very special elk and hunt for me to do a shoulder mount

Gerbdog

WKR
Euro for me and i do a bit of wood working so i get some enjoyment from finding a badass piece of wood to fix up and mount it on. That said : no inches required, memories as people have said, i have a mule deer that aint impressing anyone mounted in my house as it was the first archery kill for me.