How many rounds do you pack in with you on a hunt?

JHL

FNG
3 in my rifle and the rest of the box in my pack. My buddy shoots the same ammo and it's also nice to have extra. Never needed them though.

sambo3006

FNG
Usually 10-15 rounds for me. Not enough extra weight to worry about but enough extra rounds to give me peace of mind. Accidental unnoticed floor plate drop, hard fall with need to verify or re-zero, wounded animal etc.

Macintosh

WKR
So after reading all the replies, ranging from I think a low of 1 magazine (3-5 total rounds), and I think a high of 50 rounds for a backcountry hunt…who is going to CHANGE how many they bring as a result of reading this?

My original answer was 9 for a backcountry hunt, assuming 1 tag—thats 3 full mags for me. Based on replies I guess I’ll think about a few more, maybe up that to 15 or so. Maybe. But I cant say I’m at all tempted to lug around more than that.

Last edited:

SmotPoker

FNG
I fill the rifle, and carry an extra 5 or so. I'm not planning on getting in a shootout with a feral goat, so bring enough to shoot a few times, then top off the rifle again.

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
I bring Two boxes with me on every hunt. 10 rounds to Zero the rifle at camp. 5 rounds in the gun, 5 rounds in a back up mag and a spare box in the truck or tent.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I bring Two boxes with me on every hunt. 10 rounds to Zero the rifle at camp. 5 rounds in the gun, 5 rounds in a back up mag and a spare box in the truck or tent.
Why do you zero the rifle at camp? Would you expect it to lose zero from your house to the camp? Or are you coming from a low elevation to a high one? Just curious

highwall

FNG
I used to carry just 3-4 but then one year things did get “western” as someone mentioned before - so now I carry extra.

Superx3

FNG
Always lived by the old saying “better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it”. Usually around 10-15. A full gun and a couple in pant pockets and a couple in jacket or coat that way I have a few extras close by.

Never given it much thought. Usually 7 or 8 i suppose but might do more now after reading some of these stories.

I’m in the 15-20 camp. It’s not uncommon to have a heard of pigs show up here in Texas and you can be taking 5-10 shots at those suckers, depending on how much real estate you have to work with.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Two full magazines usually (3+1 and 3). Depending on how close to camp/vehicle I’ll carry a sleeve of 10 in an outside pack pouch. Otherwise there’s always plenty in the vehicle.

One emergency round in ziplock bag in both med kit and kill kit.

Typically 1 full mag (3-4 depending on cartridge) plus (2) on the rifle in an SAP sleeve and an ammo wallet with 10 additional rounds in my pack.

If I’m a long way from home I’ll usually take 50 rounds with me overall in an ammo box in the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

JGood

Lil-Rokslider
Why do you zero the rifle at camp? Would you expect it to lose zero from your house to the camp? Or are you coming from a low elevation to a high one? Just curious
I live in Florida and most of my hunts are out of state where I fly. So first off yes, I usually have different temps/altitude/density than where I’m hunting. Additionally I’ve seen what the guys at the airport do to rifle cases and it’s not pretty.

Jbuck

FNG
Usually a full rifle, 4, plus a 10rd ammo wallet for day hunting. If I'm traveling I'll pack my larger wallet as well that holds 25rds. If im traveling far enough I also pack a spare rifle and a box or two of ammo for it as well.

171farm

Lil-Rokslider
When I carry my encore, 1 in the barrel and 3-4 in my bino pack or bag. If I’m going a long distance I might take more. Not because I “need them” but just encase I do. Would hate to get deep in and run out of ammo. Haha

madcalfe

WKR
around town hunting i just take 3 in the mag and the 6 on my buttstock,
sheep hunting 1 in the tube, 3 in the mag, 6 on my buttstock, and a sleeve of 5 in the backpack.
ill also leave a few in the jetboat.