How much Backsrtrap do you get from a decent buck?

I had a butcher go to town on a set of back straps. He trimmed every bit of silver skin and other stuff. What ended up in the package was sashimi grade, ruby red strips of meat, but the volume was a bit disappointing. I think butchers around here get paid by the animal not by the weight of finished meat. Their priorities are to move fast and trim to the point where What comes out of the freezer package is good looking and ready to cook.

.experiences like it sent me down the path to process my own when possible. It isn't for everyone or every time but I find I have a generally higher up yield by doing my on work.

OP
W

work765

WKR
Okay.. thanks everyone who chimed in! as long as its not grossly off, i'm fine with it. I guess it boils down to I could have done it my self, but chose not to. Next time i'll do it on my own.

OP
W

work765

WKR
I had a butcher go to town on a set of back straps. He trimmed every bit of silver skin and other stuff. What ended up in the package was sashimi grade, ruby red strips of meat, but the volume was a bit disappointing. I think butchers around here get paid by the animal not by the weight of finished meat. Their priorities are to move fast and trim to the point where What comes out of the freezer package is good looking and ready to cook.

.experiences like it sent me down the path to process my own when possible. It isn't for everyone or every time but I find I have a generally higher up yield by doing my on work.

I'm pretty sure this is my scenario as well.. I was hoping for giant back strap steaks and a lot of them.. I guess i was wrong..

RCB

WKR
He might have trimmed them very aggressively, focusing more on getting a nice-looking, squared-off steak, and not worrying about meat loss. Hard to say, though.

Here is an experience I had with a game processor you may find interesting...

I killed a nice bull, my biggest ever. I spent 5 hours breaking it down and de-boning the meat. I had a nice 5' x 5' piece of Tyvek to work on and kept the meat very clean. I also did a great deal of trimming while I worked, removing all the obvious fat and such. I had time and didn't want to pack out any unnecessary weight.

I brought 253 lbs of meat to the processor, weighed on their scale.

I received just over 170 lbs of wrapped meat.

And I was told when I brought the matter to the attention of the owner that "her boys just did an excellent job of butchering my meat".

So I am expected to believe 80 lbs of elk meat ended up in the trash.

And right next to the forms detailing how you want your animal processed is the price sheet for the deer, elk and antelope meat that they sell.... (I wonder where they get that meat?)

Needless to say, that will be the last processor I ever use, barring some very unfortunate circumstances. I have since acquired a dedicated refrigerator for game meat and do all of my own butchering now.

I killed a nice bull, my biggest ever. I spent 5 hours breaking it down and de-boning the meat. I had a nice 5' x 5' piece of Tyvek to work on and kept the meat very clean. I also did a great deal of trimming while I worked, removing all the obvious fat and such. I had time and didn't want to pack out any unnecessary weight.

And I was told when I brought the matter to the attention of the owner that "her boys just did an excellent job of butchering my meat".

And right next to the forms detailing how you want your animal processed is the price sheet for the deer, elk and antelope meat that they sell.... (I wonder where they get that meat?)

Needless to say, that will be the last processor I ever use, barring some very unfortunate circumstances. I have since acquired a dedicated refrigerator for game meat and do all of my own butchering now.
I had a similar experience on a large whitetail I shot. The buck weighed 247lbs, biggest deer I have ever killed. I took him to a processor and got back 39 lbs of meat. That was in 2011. I have processed all my own deer since.

The buck I shot last week may have weighed 150. I put 46lbs of meat in the freezer.

DavePwns

WKR
I always butcher and process my own meat, it takes a lot of time but I like saving every dang piece I can.

That's just ridiculous, especially if you carefully boned it out. I'd have a hard time walking away from that like a gentleman.

Huntin wv

Lil-Rokslider

Pretty sure it’s illegal to sell wild game meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rlmmarine

WKR
I'd say your way light each side is 24 to 30 inches long cut in 6 in slabs you should have 10 packages with a couple more in tenderloin form. Use this as a learning lesson cut and package your own loins and always vacume pack them let the Butcher take care of the rest or due it yourself

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I process my own, so that seams light to me.

But when you send to a processor they are trying to get it done as quick as possible. When you speed things up they are likely to trim off bigger chunks that make it to the grinder.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

I’m sure there are a few butchers who “borrow” some meat but I always laugh when everyone says the butchers steal their meat.

I agree with you on this, time is money for these guys. Some probably aren’t as careful as one might hope.

That's just ridiculous, especially if you carefully boned it out. I'd have a hard time walking away from that like a gentleman.
I couldn't let it slide. After a rather terse conversation with the owner I made it clear that the charges to my credit card would either be refunded in full or I would be initiating a charge-back through my bank. Told the owner I would relish the chance to explain my side of this transaction to a judge, in court. I got my refund.

Rich M

WKR
Depends on how much he trimmed em. Sometimes it seems like there is always something to trim off.

I'll chase the backstrap clear up the neck. Some folks only do between the shoulder and the hip. Makes a diff.

LostArra

WKR
On deer I tell the processor to cut each backstrap/loin in half and leave it untrimmed. I get 4 packages.
On an elk I have the backstrap cut in thirds or quarters, also untrimmed. I get 6 or 8 packages.

I never have the backstrap cut into steaks. I like cooking larger pieces reverse sear then slicing. Easier to keep it all medium rare.

16Bore

WKR
Yet guys want to argue about DIY’ers. I still can’t figure out why guys put so much effort into hunting only to leave the final results in the hands of someone who doesn’t give a shit.

Typical whitetail I’ll have 6 pieces. The rear of each strap is “C”, the middle is “A”, front is “B”. If you’re eating “A”, I must really like you.

Jethro

WKR
If you had a 4th pack, then looks like the right amount to me. Did you open one to see how they look? I do my own and even though I start with a cutting board full of backstrap steaks, they never look as impressive once vac sealed.