How much cooler?

Never having actually shot an elk, I have wondered for a few years now just how much cooler capacity one would need to handle a full-grown critter. I finally got my answer this year. My buddy and I had two 120-quart coolers that handled his mature bull like a champ. One hind quarter and shoulder plus scraps (backstrap, loins, neck meat) in one cooler, and one hind quarter and shoulder plus cape in the other, with plenty of room for ice.

I'm sure plenty of you know this already but I thought I'd share for those who wondered if they had enough cooler - like I did.

For reference, I suppose four cow quarters and scraps, without the cape might have fit in a single 120 qt. cooler, but I don't think there would have been room for ice.

Incidentally, I really like my Coleman Xtreme (6 day?) 120 quart cooler. It wasn't exactly tested during one of the coldest 1st rifle seasons in a while, but on the trip home it did very well, I thought. Enough that I plan to buy another instead of a more expensive rotomolded job.

I'd be curious to hear what others think.

Phil4

Lil-Rokslider
Never having actually shot an elk, I have wondered for a few years now just how much cooler capacity one would need to handle a full-grown critter. I finally got my answer this year. My buddy and I had two 120-quart coolers that handled his mature bull like a champ. One hind quarter and shoulder plus scraps (backstrap, loins, neck meat) in one cooler, and one hind quarter and shoulder plus cape in the other, with plenty of room for ice.

I'm sure plenty of you know this already but I thought I'd share for those who wondered if they had enough cooler - like I did.

For reference, I suppose four cow quarters and scraps, without the cape might have fit in a single 120 qt. cooler, but I don't think there would have been room for ice.

Incidentally, I really like my Coleman Xtreme (6 day?) 120 quart cooler. It wasn't exactly tested during one of the coldest 1st rifle seasons in a while, but on the trip home it did very well, I thought. Enough that I plan to buy another instead of a more expensive rotomolded job.

Thanks for posting. I’m going to roll with 3 150 qt Extremes and 1 Yeti 65 for 2 Bull tags. Sounds like we’ll be ok for room if we’re successful. I was doubtful we had enough room so I appreciate the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
Thanks for posting. I’m going to roll with 3 150 qt Extremes and 1 Yeti 65 for 2 Bull tags. Sounds like we’ll be ok for room if we’re successful. I was doubtful we had enough room so I appreciate the post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good luck! That's why I posted. This was really a question for me and my buddy right up until we finished filling the two coolers.

davsco

WKR
i bought a 120 (coleman marine 5 day) for my elk trip and was going to use my BIL's 150, but it was too tall to fit under the tonneau cover on my pickup, so got another 120 (coleman 6 day). good to know these will do when i DO get an elk next year!

funny, walmarts near me (virginia) had nothing close to a 120 so had to order one. when i got out to rifle, colo the walmart there had the 120's stacked to the ceiling!

I filled 2 120 quart Coleman coolers with the one shot last week. Mine was processed and vacuum wrapped. Just enough room for 10 lb of dry ice in each.

OP
Newtosavage
For elk, I like to use 2-80 qts. Makes loading and unloading easier.

I can see that. I may add an 80 to my 120 for that reason. Should be enough and it would hold ice longer by itself. It's not often I take that 120 anywhere but elk hunting. The good news is my Kodiak canvas tent will fit in it, saving me space in the truck! LOL

I picked up two 150 qt Rubbermaid coolers this year for $60 each. That is the plenty of room with ice. I usually use one for my dry food good on the trip.

rbljack

WKR
This is great info. We didn't fill the tag, but I had a Yeti 105, a Yeti 65, and a coleman 120. I figured it would be enough space, but wasn't sure. I packed the 105 and the 65 full of frozen ice jugs and water bottles. After 8 days a good part of the jugs were still frozen. My plan was if we got one to debone the quarters and add them to the coolers with the 1 gallon ice jugs to keep everthing cold, but not have excessive amounts of water from melting ice.

vanish

WKR
I'm always confused when, in late August, I see a truck park at the same access as me with a single 45qt cooler in the back.

efnm

WKR
Man, that's such a no brainier on the Kodiak tent that I'm pissed I haven't done that yet! Thanks for the info.

I use the Coleman's as well (120 and 150). They get your meat home in good shape and you can avoid the anxiety of leaving $1k of coolers in your pickup at the trailhead.