How often are you replacing leukotape in your kit?

Went on a hike with the wife and she started to get a hotspot. Pulled out my little kit where I had leukotape wrapped around a lighter. After peeling it off it was obvious that none of the adhesive still worked on the tape. When I got home I checked the tape on the original roll. Still good. I probably put it on the lighter 2 years ago. Obviously that's too long to keep it there. How often should I be replacing the leukotape? I've been lucky enough to not need it.

Reactions: DWD

summs

Lil-Rokslider
For the <$10 it cost, every year, throw in a couple fresh band aids, advil, tums, consumables etc. It also probably melted from heat and not time, if your med kit bag sits in your truck for the summer, I wouldn't be surprised if all of your adhesives have gone bad.

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
I try to keep about a half roll in my pack. I keep it in the medicine cabinet outside of hunting trips and haven’t had a problem with losing adhesion. I just replace when running low. Some of the rolls might be 3 years old. Sort of unrelated to the question, I also tape my feet the first morning of the hunt and it stays on for several days.

Dschwan

WKR
I keep some alcohol wipes with my tape to get any oil off of my skin before applying luko tape. I do not like the tape that doesnt have a paper backing. For me it doesnt stick as well. I pre cut 1.5" long strips for my heals and big toe . I have tape that is well over two years old.

WBrim

WKR
I have one roll that stays in my truck and a second that goes all over, between packs, in the house, on trips, where ever. The one in the truck stays a lot cleaner, but they are both still good, and at least 3 years old now. I leave them on the original roll until being used.

Kurts86

WKR
I’ve definitely found out halfway up a mountain I had a roll that no longer had good adhesive. It’s good for 2 years at most in my hunting kit.

Holmes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm guessing it all gets used up within 3 or 4 years. I've had some be "not great" anymore, but never had any be so old as to be useless.

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
Just ran into this myself, except it left half its adhesive on the layer below causing it to stick inside to the inside of your socks. Still worked okay enough to stop any spots from getting worse. Had it wrapped on a piece of a pen for probably 2 years now. Going to start replacing every year now.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Mine seems to go bad every year. Must have to do with the heat. I have the same problem. Seems all the glue sticks to the back of the other tape, then it sticks to my sock and not my skin.

JNDEER

WKR
For blisters I moved to hyrdo seal blister heal bandaids. Lasts forever, waterproof and I never have to worry about what you experienced.

I still keep Leuko tape in a pad form uncut and unpeeled.

Mosby

WKR
If I plan on doing a lot of walking and hiking....I invest in a new roll of tape to take with me.

JohnB

WKR
Stick the leukotape to a piece of parchment paper. It holds up way better than wrapping it over itself on a pen or similar.

DWD

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to the OP, good reminder so I bought a new roll. Think the current one is about 7-8 years old.