How to Add Weight to Your Pack?

Big D

FNG
40# bag of softener salt ,maybe 2 bags occasionally.

Sent from my E7110 using Tapatalk

I take a bunch of gear just in case and then slip 5 and 10 lbs dumbell plates in between until I get to the weight I want.

+1 I walk solo in the woods, so I take primarily gear. I have this nightmare of being lost/injured and only having a lump of steel or a bag of sand for my drink, shelter, food, etc. :) IF I can't get to the weight I want, I slip 5 and 10 lbs. dumbbell plates in the hydration pouch, etc. until I get there. I am sure most folks on here are also bringing what they need in addition to ballast.

(2x) bags of water softener salt. Wrap one in duct tape so that the bag doesn't wear through. The second one gets split into walmart dry bags to make 5lb, 10lb and 20lb weights.

Only costs around $20 including dry bags. My pack with water is about 5lbs so I can now make any weight from 5lbs to 80lbs in 5lb increments.

MattB

WKR
I made a frame shaped like an 8 out of 2” PVC and filled it with sand to fit the interior dimensions of my pack. Weighs 24# and provides some structure to the load. I’ve duct taped loads (gallon ziplock bags filled with sand and fully duct taped to prevent leakage) to the top of it to add weight and keep it high.

$4 per bag for 48 lbs at Home Depot
Place inside a black contractor plastic bag.

This is what I do then wrap in gorilla tape— cheap, easy, and super effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LionHead

WKR
When the Covaids closed all the gyms I got a couple REP fitness sandbags for circuit workouts.

I've got their Small, med and large bags loaded with 30#,60# and 90#. I used pea gravel instead of sand so rock dust doesn't puff out between the seams into my face.

They stuff well into a pack, keep their shape for loaded rucks and the added advantage of being a cheap durable workout tool if you want to add some cleans, presses and lunges at intervals during a ruck march.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Chaser96

FNG
I’ve just been putting a jacket and then a dumbbell in mine and it works fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t heard anyone mention this(could have easily missed it) but aside from loading up the pack I also carry a lighter sized dumbbell in each hand. 1: it stimulates weapon weight, and the action of moving through country with that weight in hand. 2: when I’m not being worked as hard( going down hill or a flat section) I can increase intensity by throwing in some lateral raises or other lifts while walking. Lat raises with light dumbbells and a heavy pack putting tension on your shoulders will light you up quick. I get some funny looks from other hikers I pass but who cares. Gotta get the most outta my time.

Hey Guys, how are you adding weight to your hunting pack to simulate the hunt? I just stuffed some misc. things at the bottom of my pack (a few light kettlebells.). Not sure if having the weight at the bottom of my pack is an issue. Maybe that ain't a thing to worry about.

I aim to do some ruck type of work outs (i.e., hiking around with a heavy pack) until the Fall

Thanks!
I add water bottles.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
I took sand from a leaking sand bag and put them in 1 gallon zip locks. Then took the legs out of an old pair of pants, sewed the bottom end shut, slipped in a sand bag, cut the pant leg to the right length and stitched the top closed. Repeat 3 times for each pant leg until I had 6 one gallon sand bags.

Yoder

WKR
What's the reasoning for keeping the weight high in the pack? I'm new to this so I was curious.