How to learn how to sew on a machine?

GPATTI

WKR
I'd like to be able to start doing my own alternations on my gear. Obviously just minor stuff to start, since I have NO IDEA how to use a machine. Can anyone suggest a way to learn? Know of any online classes, etc? Maybe I do some youtube searches?

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Setting the thread tension correctly is the hardest thing to do. Once that's done slow and steady will prevail. I had someone show me once or twice than I just did trial and error

Jmock97

Lil-Rokslider
There is a lot videos on youtube. You could also look for a sewing shop the sells and repairs machines and they may now of place that will give you instructions

For me one on one instruction really helped. My mom helped me but if you could find someone willing to teach it would help a ton. Then just working through stuff on your own. The local fabric shop should do classes as well.

i did the colonel pockets and it worked out ok but as i say be ready to laugh at yourself, my kids total lack of enthusiasm was entertaining!
thanks colonel

LBFowler

WKR
my advice (based on the problems I had) is
1) use good thread
2) use good needles
C) don't skimp on seam allowance

I used whatever thread I could buy locally and it was way to wimpy for serious projects. I also used to sew close to the edge of the fabric to save fabric, but that leads to seam blowouts in a hurry, especially on lightly or non-coated fabrics.

cordura is actually one of the easier fabrics to learn on, not too much stretch and the coating keeps it from falling apart and helps the layers grip each other. whenever I try to help my wife sew something I wonder how anyone has the patience to sew all those thin, slippery, delicate lady-fabrics.

Stid2677

WKR
The thread needs to match the needle, don't forget to adjust bobbin tension too. A good rule is to adjust until the thread will only come out when you hold the thread and let the bobbin hang, when you kind of yo yo it. If it falls tighten until it only comes out when you yo yo it. Sil-nylon can be tough so start with something else. The thread, needle and material all need to be a match. Upholstery thread and denim needles are about the best match for sewing cordura on a household machine.

WoodBow

WKR
If you are on any local facebook trading post type groups, you might just post looking for lessons. Local people who sew will know what classes might be available in your area. Best bet would be hiring someone to come to your house and teach you on your machine. Sewing is not complicated. A sewing machine is just a tool. You just need someone to show you how to use it. One session of an hour or two and you should be ready to rock.

It's not that hard. ... upholstery thread and size 16 jeans needle and some scrap cordura/canvas and start playing.

Like said, Youtube is a wealth of info.... I have a bookmark folder just for sewing links. Search it for help setting thread tensions. If I want to learn a new seam or variation on a seam, I just search Youtube and watch a few videos.

Early on in my learning curve, I found the gals at the sewing machine shops extremely helpful. I just told them what I'm trying to do and they pointed me toward appropriate thread and needle sizes. I pretty much run all polyester or nylon thread now.

Tip: sew stuff inside out.
Hunt'nFish

GKPrice

Banned
something I may have missed in the comments but I'll say it now, WATCH WHERE YOUR FINGERS ARE !! I've seen a couple of younger girls sew their fingers in classes and it's not a "little deal" ....

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's some good advice on here. Just buy cheap material and jump in. Colonel's thread on pullouts is a great starting point. It's loads of fun once you get going. Good luck.