How to prevent false triggers on trail cam?

Question for all you serious trail camera guys, how do you go about preventing false triggers on your cams? I pulled a camera today that filled a card with 20k+ pics in about a month, and i haven’t sifted through all of the pics yet but it seems all I have are pictures of nothing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The previously mentioned steps are 2 of the bigger things. Some cameras fail as well, I’ve got 2-3 brownings out of 30 that once triggered will continue taking pictures as long as they feel like it.

I take a battery powered weed eater to trim down the grass if it is not that thick. It also works to make a trail to direct the deer to where you want them.

I also have a battery powered hedge trimmer that works great for thick grass and small branches. You can knock down alot of area in a short amount of time with the hedge trimmer.

I set my cameras, have it take a test picture, then view on a sd card reader. I then knock down anything that is close to the center of that picture as that is where most cameras detection ranges are.

WCB

WKR
Also if you are setting directly on a trail or bait site turn down your camera sensitivity. It will help from the camera triggering on branches or grass behind where you expect the animal to be. But, all the above recommendations should be standard practice. The sun is one I have over looked before.

Remove small branches and other vegetation that moves in the wind.
Don't point your camera east or west, the rising/setting sun will trigger a lot of nothing photos.

JNDEER

WKR
Everyone has mentioned the causes and fixes already. Remember cams function via heat and movement.

If the cam is up in an area that can get hot (90+).. it is important to have the cam face North and if on a bare tree put brush or sticks around it so it won’t get the midday and evening sun hitting the cam- that will heat it up and can cause malfunction.

Putting cam on small trees that move in the wind effect it as well.

If I am putting a cam out in a burnt area or area with little canopy I will find bark and branches to create a shade canopy over the cam to keep it cooler and avoid light glare and heating the cam up from the sun.

MattB

WKR
Point it north and have a clear path so wind doesn’t cause false triggers. Make sure there are no items birds like to land on in front of the camera too. Had a cam on a tree with an old fence post a couple of feet in front of it, took hundreds of pictures of birds.

Finn16

WKR
Point it north and have a clear path so wind doesn’t cause false triggers. Make sure there are no items birds like to land on in front of the camera too. Had a cam on a tree with an old fence post a couple of feet in front of it, took hundreds of pictures of birds.
Pointing north is really important - south is second best.

OP
Andrew12gauge
I take a battery powered weed eater to trim down the grass if it is not that thick. It also works to make a trail to direct the deer to where you want them.

I also have a battery powered hedge trimmer that works great for thick grass and small branches. You can knock down alot of area in a short amount of time with the hedge trimmer.

I set my cameras, have it take a test picture, then view on a sd card reader. I then knock down anything that is close to the center of that picture as that is where most cameras detection ranges are.

I’m curious as to the legality of trimming grass and trees on public land? I honestly don’t know how that would work for me

Decker9

WKR
Is this the new animal identification triggering?

As far as I’m told that’s basically what it is. The one I’ll be testing I believe is a little different, more geared toward research, but same idea. I believe the known name cameras will be heading the same direction in the near future.

I’m curious as to the legality of trimming grass and trees on public land? I honestly don’t know how that would work for me

Some areas you can, some you can’t. It depends on the state and what agency is in charge of the public you are hunting.

I’d call whoever is in charge of the public you are hunting and ask.