Howa Superlite 308win Field Evaluation

SloppyJ

WKR
You have a real gift for getting horrible examples of these products that need work out of the box. I was excited until the problems started.

ElPollo

WKR
Form I must say this is a happy day for me when I read this thread.
I have owned five howa minis over the last several years and all but one had the trigger issue when racking briskly and it drove me nuts!

I scoured the internet thinking it was some kind of anomaly and could only find a tiny blurb about the issue in some obscure post on a New Zealand hunting forum.
I asked other owners I knew but no one would ever give me a straight answer.
I feel vindicated!
A wart on an otherwise cool little rifle, I wonder if the aftermarket triggers fix the issue?
This made me pull my 1500 short action out of the safe to try to replicate this. I ran the bolt as hard as I could 40 times and did not get a single case where the trigger malfunctioned. Can’t say that I ran it that near hard during break-in, but it’s not something I’ve ever noticed with a normal length Howa. Is this a mini or superlite specific issue?

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
How much of an improvement is the Timney over the factory 2 stage (when not malfunctioning.)

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I preferred the OEM trigger after cutting a coil from spring to reduce pull weight. It was a very good factory trigger. I think the Timney is acceptable, but nothing to rave about. However, I had to modify the safety lever as it was shaped for a short action footprint and wouldn't lock the bolt correctly or seat into the stock correctly. File fixed that, but a pain to do for a $120+ trigger. The safety itself is a more nicely made alloy part, instead of stamped steel from Howa.

huntnful

WKR
At any point do you think this type of stuff on products like this is a waste of your time? Of course we all love in depth reviews, but that rifle, in that platform seems about unnecessary and all but useless compared to LOTS of other platforms.

Just from my view point, even if they provided the product, it wouldn't even be worth my time and components to do a legit review on something like that without actually getting paid a decent amount money, on top of the free product to review.

Curious if that crosses your mind at all when starting these things hahaha.

Mike 338

WKR
Nice to see two things...
1. Howa sending out a non-ringer for review.
2. A true review.

Other guys just contact the manufacturer, tell them their rifle ain't right and send it back and nobody's the wiser. The manufacturer keeps that guy in mind for more goodies later on.

I say let the chips fall were they may.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Just from my view point, even if they provided the product, it wouldn't even be worth my time and components to do a legit review on something like that without actually getting paid a decent amount money, on top of the free product to review.
If someone sent you free guns to shoot and scopes to try out, you’d make the time. You aren’t too busy to have some fun and enjoy a hobby/provide insight to folks. Nobody on this forum who posts semi regularly is that busy.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
At any point do you think this type of stuff on products like this is a waste of your time?
Of course we all love in depth reviews, but that rifle, in that platform seems about unnecessary and all but useless compared to LOTS of other platforms.

Curious if that crosses your mind at all when starting these things hahaha.

It’s nearly a total waste of my time. But, this isn’t for me. I do not ask to do this, I am asked to do it. The industry, gun writers, “reviewers”, etc are near totally full of shit. Almost never is there any actual use on products, and only glowing reviews are done… got to keep the advertisers happy and get that free swag again.

The industry sucks and products don’t work because no one calls out the BS.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
If someone sent you free guns to shoot and scopes to try out, you’d make the time. You aren’t too busy to have some fun and enjoy a hobby/provide insight to folks. Nobody on this forum who posts semi regularly is that busy.

I can only speak for myself- but I give two flips about free guns or scopes. The vast majority of guns suck and don’t work, almost all scopes are junk and fail. In any case, I get more good guns and scopes that actually work than I can use. I shoot “X” amount of rounds a day/week/month/year- a bunch of sub par guns and scopes just adds time, headache and BS to my life.

The only reason I am doing these Evals is because no one else is.

First range trip.

Took 9 rounds after boresighting to get a round on an IPSC- that’s a first. Took 13 or 14 to get the second round to hit paper.

Why didn’t you ‘do your part?’ 😂

I’m interested to see how a second rifle does, and how this one does after being looked over. Seems like a rad lightweight rifle if it would function.

Then again… there’s no guesswork with the rifles I shoot. They just work. And are accurate.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Why didn’t you ‘do your part?’ 😂

I’m interested to see how a second rifle does, and how this one does after being looked over. Seems like a rad lightweight rifle if it would function.

Then again… there’s no guesswork with the rifles I shoot. They just work. And are accurate.

Me too. Howa’s aren’t perfect, but in general shoot and function decently. A 4.5lb rifle that works would be slick.

What sort of shitshow company would send out a product for testing without running a QC test, it just shows that they regard customers as imbeciles

180ls1

WKR
What sort of shitshow company would send out a product for testing without running a QC test, it just shows that they regard customers as imbeciles

I hear you. At least they are not cherry-picking rifles to send out for testing.

My dad's superlite has none of these issues for whatever that's worth.

huntnful

WKR
I absolutely would not lol. It's a lot of work. I load for several rifles of my own and some close buddy's. Legitimately proofing data and problem solving issues is a headache and very time consuming. I try to only use the best, most reliable components, and there is still always some issues to work through or monitor for a long duration in order to get legit info.

I turned down a companies like flagship custom rifle last year that was offered for a sponsorship type thing. I told him I would pass because I didn't believe it was comprised of the best components, and I wouldn't waiver just for a sponsorship. He said he just appreciated me not wasting his time. Which I appreciated that reply as well.

It’s nearly a total waste of my time. But, this isn’t for me. I do not ask to do this, I am asked to do it. The industry, gun writers, “reviewers”, etc are near totally full of shit. Almost never is there any actual use on products, and only glowing reviews are done… got to keep the advertisers happy and get that free swag again.

The industry sucks and products don’t work because no one calls out the BS.
Okay, so we are viewing these reviews the same way haha. Thank you for time at least!!