Howa Superlite

d500lnn

Lil-Rokslider
This question may have been asked and I apologize if this is redundant. Is the rail on this little rifle removable?

amassi

WKR
we appreciate the feedback, thank you for posting that with little info (especially firsthand) around(y)

i do think you are pretty much paying for the lightweight aspect, so i'm not surprised on the lack of fit and finish, but that is crazy light, and to have a nice rifle with quality components with nice fit and finish will cost money.... for crazy light/affordable, i do think kimber has really done a great job.... not much else in the sub 5lb that are anywhere close on cost..... i will admit, i was pretty interigued by howa's recent offerings, including your rifle, and i'm not in the market for a super lightweight rifle..... the price/weight was/is tempting.... at least tempting to my impulsive side ;)

i hope it shoots well for you, if so, i'm sure you can look past some of the other things. i bought my wife a savage lightweight storm in 6.5 creed a couple years ago, and it's similar to what you describe, it looks cheap, feels cheap, and is ugly, but it's a shooter.... we have lost the need for that rifle, and if it was a nice, quality feeling rifle, i would keep it just because, but as it is, i just am not inclined to keep it. i bought one of the savage ultralites a couple years ago (also in creed) and ordered an xlr chassis for it, and braked it, and have decided that will be my wife and daughter's rifle and i'm going a different route.... the howas piqued my interest, but i have decided to not chase lightweight too much with this next rifle, but i'm still interested in the future

if they make a carbon fast twist .223, that could push me over the edge (or a super lite) something light and handy for calling lions/coyotes, or take deer hunting in certain scenarios.

keep us posted how it shoots, i'm very curious, and i hope you have a good report! thanks again for the feedback on a rifle that has very little info available.
Their offering a carbon stock mini action in 6mm arc. That's 4.5#
Should be a great coyote/lion rifle

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
Their offering a carbon stock mini action in 6mm arc. That's 4.5#
Should be a great coyote/lion rifle

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Expectation management the mini Grendel came in a tad over 5lbs (see page 2). Weight should be close to same for arc.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
Yes the rail is detachable and will be tossed on the bench when Talley produces mounts for it. It is 5#10oz right now with VX3HD 2.5-8 and Vortex rings on the rail. Should be able to drop a couple ounces with the Talley Lightweights. Have only broke in the barrel with a box of factory Winchester 180 gr, but the last 2 shots were touching. I will be working up loads with AR-Comp and 130TTSX. Should be fun to pack and shoot.

Buck Shot

FNG
I just opened mine up, superlight in 308. Wow, it doesn't feel real its so light. The stock is as light as Styrofoam, but is quite strong and ridged. The recoil lug and bedding area are very hard and solid. The trigger guard and magazine well seem to be plastic. I think ill get some metal washers to go on the bedding screws as not to crush the plastic trigger guard. All i need to do now is get some glass and mounts.

BTW, I did call Legacy and asked if a 2 piece Model 1500 mount would fit, and they said no. So, I will need some extra low 30mm rings for rail mount. Extra extra low. I wish the rail wasn't so high.

I also went and shot it in the yard with a 110G varmint load and recoil was light.

More to follow.

Buck Shot

FNG
I just opened mine up, superlight in 308. Wow, it doesn't feel real its so light. The stock is as light as Styrofoam, but is quite strong and ridged. The recoil lug and bedding area are very hard and solid. The trigger guard and magazine well seem to be plastic. I think ill get some metal washers to go on the bedding screws as not to crush the plastic trigger guard. All i need to do now is get some glass and mounts.

BTW, I did call Legacy and asked if a 2 piece Model 1500 mount would fit, and they said no. So, I will need some extra low 30mm rings for rail mount. Extra extra low. I wish the rail wasn't so high.

I also went and shot it in the yard with a 110G varmint load and recoil was light.

More to follow.
So I was able to mount the scope and sighted in. The extra low TPS rings made up for the overly tall rail. I had to get another turn on the Leupold DCS elevation dial to get on paper at 100 yds. This rifle is defiantly MOA with some 150gr Ballistic tips. I shot 2 three shot groups under an inch. The barrel gets very hot after 3 rounds and Ill need to wait till later in the day to shoot more as its hot in SC.

ElPollo

WKR
Curious about updates on this gun. We were hearing people dealing with a wide range of expectations for it. I’m wondering how that ended up once the shooting started.

Buck Shot

FNG
Well I've got about 130 rounds down range and I'm very pleased. I have worked on light bullet loads with 110,125,130 and 10 with150 gn bullets. All shoot MOA or better. One thing for sure, 3 rounds and 5 minutes to cool as the light barrel gets quite hot! First groups were vertical strings, I tightened up the action screws pretty dang tight and now they land with 2 touching and one an inch away at 100yds. The carbon fiber bedding block is rock solid. The trigger guard is polymer and I don't want it to crack by over to torqueing. This isn't a rifle I would ever shoot more than 3 times quickly in the field.

I haven't put it on the scale, but it is incredibly light and handy for for such performance. I figure a 130gr TTSX from Barns and 54gr of CFE223 would stop all I would encounter in the Carolinas and be a breeze to carry.

AkRyan

WKR
I would be all in if it weren't for that 2-stage trigger. I hate them. I have never understood how adding reliable creep to a trigger became a good thing.
Funny I love 2 stage and don't like single.....what are the odds

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
Me too, im thinking about diving into a mini action 223 project but unsure to go this route or something like a tikka or cz

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Me too, im thinking about diving into a mini action 223 project but unsure to go this route or something like a tikka or cz

Other than weight if you go with the new superlight Howa minis, the Tikka T3x with 8” twist is better on every measurable factor.

J Batt

WKR
I just got one in 6.5. Its measuring 4lbs 10oz on my scale after removing the rail.
Im going to sue Howa. Those 3 unadvertised ounces might break my back on a pack-out.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
Still interested guys any other reviews
Thanks
I just picked one up in 6.5. My experience may be unique but too many corners are cut on these and they are really best suited to someone who is prepared for that.
Many say the buttpad looks “glued on” and it is… mine must have been glued poorly as the pad was hanging free when it came from the distributor. The screws had pulled through the carbon fiber holes because they are not reinforced. No big deal as I slipped some fiber reinforcements in and was good to go.
I also bedded the recoil lug, opened the barrel channel a bit and ground a bit more room for the bolt handle as it was contacting the stock and made a significant hollow sound if you worked the bolt hard.
I only have one box of Hornady American Whitetail 129gr through mine but it shoots MOA easily with a 2-8x36 Weaver Grand Slam. Just bumped it to a 3-12x44 Conquest V4 and it still hits the scale at 5.95#.
I plan to use it as a handier and lighter replacement to my 6.5 Grendel AR for general use here in the SE. I have an Anarchy Titanium brake on it and Recoil is super mild given the weight and it seems to have acceptable accuracy.
I would not pay retail but they are not hard to find for around $800 and it is worth that to me. It is a game of compromises and some fit and finish is definitely compromised to get to this weight.

Reviving this old thread for updates from this season. Still seems like an awesome lightweight option.

Anyone have problems with the bottom plastic or magazine? I had issues on my minis with the plastic cracking in sub zero temps and solved that with the JO bottom metal. I am wondering if any aftermarket bottom metal options are in the works…