Hoyt REDWRX Carbon RX-5 review

It seems you hunt a variety of terrain and species (backcountry mulies to Kansas whitetail). Is this bow a generalist for all of your types of hunts, or is it made to excel at one thing over the other? Guessing it's probably made more for spot-and-stalk style hunts, or does it matter?

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
It seems you hunt a variety of terrain and species (backcountry mulies to Kansas whitetail). Is this bow a generalist for all of your types of hunts, or is it made to excel at one thing over the other? Guessing it's probably made more for spot-and-stalk style hunts, or does it matter?
I don't really think any one bow is more suited for any one type of hunting with the exception that shorter axle to axle bows excel in tree stands and ground blinds where space is limited.
Any bow can be set up in a way that would be sufficient for different types of hunting.

It's my belief that you should shoot and test out as many different bows as you can get your hands on to see what you like best. They will all have little differences and you might find that one of those differences really makes the bow feel/work for you better than the rest.

I have already spent time with the RX-5 even though mine is not yet in my hands and I have no question that it can work for a variety of different hunt types. How well? That is what I hope to find out and share.

ia bhtr

FNG
After shooting one , got an ultra on order , hopefully your review is positive so I don't regret my order :)

In all seriousness tho , bow balances well , next to zero hand shock , aims like crazy , smooth drawing , lots of good about this bow , glad Hoyt finally got on the Binary band wagon

Jburr

FNG
So today I went and shot Ventum 33 and the RX5 Ultra. Super impressed with both bows but the ultra just felt better in the hand to me. I had really expected to like the Ventum 33 better but in the end I ordered a ultra

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
So today I went and shot Ventum 33 and the RX5 Ultra. Super impressed with both bows but the ultra just felt better in the hand to me. I had really expected to like the Ventum 33 better but in the end I ordered a ultra
Shooting them all before spending the $ is the best way to go IMO. Glad to hear the Ultra shot well for you.

bsnedeker

WKR
I agree, it feels really good in the hand, the grip is really nice. For me the ventum has less vibration in the shot which is more important for me so I went with the ventum. It was a really tough choice though, the Ultra is an incredible bow, you can't go wrong either way I think.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ziggy-73

FNG
i ordered a rx5 ultra and was told it would be 10-16 weeks before i would see it. this about the same for you guys?

bsnedeker

WKR
i ordered a rx5 ultra and was told it would be 10-16 weeks before i would see it. this about the same for you guys?

Yep. Sounds like this issue isn't limited to Hoyt either...Matthews is having the same issues. When I bought my Ventum the pro shop had already ordered one a few weeks earlier that met my specs, it still took about 1.5 months for me to get my hands on it.

The same shop has had my old Defiant Turbo since January. It exploded so they are repairing under warranty. They are still waiting on new cams and a string almost 4 months later.

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I made the mistake of looking at the RX5 Ultra, I literally just got my RX4 dialed in and of course they had one RX5 left in stock! Its night and day between the two, the 5 is much smoother on the draw and quieter than I expected with zero vibration. I am glad I made the switch, but its going to take me a while to get out of the dog house with my wife.....

DOMMA

FNG
I'm a big Hoyt fan and have owned most of the Hoyt Carbon bows, all but the RX-1. I will not be purchasing an RX-5. $1,600 for a heavy carbon bow, 4.6#, does not make sense to me. It is .1 lb. less than the Ventum.

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm a big Hoyt fan and have owned most of the Hoyt Carbon bows, all but the RX-1. I will not be purchasing an RX-5. $1,600 for a heavy carbon bow, 4.6#, does not make sense to me. It is .1 lb. less than the Ventum.
Hasn't that been the case with all of their carbon bows? At least since the carbon defiant? Very minimal weight savings on all of them from my recollection... could be wrong.

DOMMA

FNG
Hasn't that been the case with all of their carbon bows? At least since the carbon defiant? Very minimal weight savings on all of them from my recollection... could be wrong.

The RX-3 and RX-4 Ultra came in at 4.1 lbs., so they were still slightly lighter than many of the competitors flagship bows. The new RX-5 is heavier than Mathews' V-3 31, Bowtech's Solution, both aluminum bows.

I know that weight is not everything, but when I buy a carbon bow, I do not expect it to be heavier than the competitors aluminum bow.

ziggy-73

FNG
The RX-3 and RX-4 Ultra came in at 4.1 lbs., so they were still slightly lighter than many of the competitors flagship bows. The new RX-5 is heavier than Mathews' V-3 31, Bowtech's Solution, both aluminum bows.

I know that weight is not everything, but when I buy a carbon bow, I do not expect it to be heavier than the competitors aluminum bow.
do you know if they weigh the rx5 with that stabilizer that it comes with? or is that without. cause that stabilizer has 4 ounces of weight plus the weight of the stabilizer its self.

i also have to say that it is sad that its almost identical weight from the carbon to the aluminum.