Hoyt REDWRX Carbon RX-5 review

bsnedeker

WKR
That weight listed is with everything stripped off the bow. It's over 5 lbs with everything attached. Ventum is the same... listed weight is just the riser and limbs.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DOMMA

FNG
do you know if they weigh the rx5 with that stabilizer that it comes with? or is that without. cause that stabilizer has 4 ounces of weight plus the weight of the stabilizer its self.

i also have to say that it is sad that its almost identical weight from the carbon to the aluminum.
I just saw a review that the RX-5 Ultra actually came it at 5.2#. The Alpha came in at 5#. Hard to believe that every competitor's flagship hunting bow weighs less than Hoyts carbon bows. This is coming from a big Hoyt fan.

bsnedeker

WKR
I just saw a review that the RX-5 Ultra actually came it at 5.2#. The Alpha came in at 5#. Hard to believe that every competitor's flagship hunting bow weighs less than Hoyts carbon bows. This is coming from a big Hoyt fan.
Probably just focused on marketing to guys like me who like a heavier bow and let the other guys fight over light weight stuff.. who knows?

My weapon is the one area I am happy to carry a little extra weight whether it's archery or rifle. I tend to shoot a lot better with a heavier platform in both cases.

ziggy-73

FNG
has anyone tried the picatinny rail set up for the sight or rest yet on these? im looking into the axcel sight and wondering if its worth getting over the normal side mount axcel sight i already use.

has anyone tried the picatinny rail set up for the sight or rest yet on these? im looking into the axcel sight and wondering if its worth getting over the normal side mount axcel sight i already use.

I shot one a few days ago that had an hha mounted on the pic rail. It seemed pretty silly to me. I don't like the idea of not being able to move the sight in and out, takes away the easier part of torque tuning. It also mounts the sight to a thin part of the riser. As you get a sight further out on the bow it has more leverage on its connection, when it's mounted in the normal fashion the bolts are holding a plate down, but that plate has a large surface bearing on the riser of the bow. Strength comes from the screws holding that plate tight, not the shear strength of those screws. When you go to a much thinner plate, the strength of the fasteners becomes a lot more important.

Trying to explain this best I can, but I'm not great at explaining things.

I don't like the integrate rests for the same reason of not moving in and out, I would maybe use one, but not both.

DOMMA

FNG
Probably just focused on marketing to guys like me who like a heavier bow and let the other guys fight over light weight stuff.. who knows?

My weapon is the one area I am happy to carry a little extra weight whether it's archery or rifle. I tend to shoot a lot better with a heavier platform in both cases.

I understand that some guys like a heavier bow, that is fine, that is what the aluminum bows are for; the Ventum should be the offering for you. Generally, potential buyers will expect the carbon bow to be a bit lighter. I held one at the shop last week and did not even want to try it, it was simply to heavy. I went with another mfg. for 2021.

bsnedeker

WKR
I understand that some guys like a heavier bow, that is fine, that is what the aluminum bows are for; the Ventum should be the offering for you. Generally, potential buyers will expect the carbon bow to be a bit lighter. I held one at the shop last week and did not even want to try it, it was simply to heavy. I went with another mfg. for 2021.
The carbon RX-5 is a bit lighter than the aluminum Ventum 33 which is the equivalent aluminum bow in their lineup so it sounds like they hit the mark you are looking for in a carbon bow.

Your issue really seems to be that you think Hoyt should be focusing on matching the weight specs of other manufacturers. I respectfully disagree. Every manufacturer gets to decide what customers they want to target. Hoyt is sending a clear message that they aren't chasing the dollars of guys looking for light weight bows, at least not for the last few years as far as I can tell. They might change course in the future but it seems like they are doing pretty well from a sales perspective considering how it's nearly impossible to find one of these bows right now and it takes months for them to get one out if you special order it.

I'm glad you found a bow that meets your requirements from another manufacturer. Having so many great choices across a wide-array of manufacturers is a great thing!

Josh Boyd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just mounted one on my Ventum 33 test bow this weekend. I have barely used it but so far I haven't found any glaring issues. More time with it will hopefully expose any issues. It does adjust a little fore and aft for those who want that feature in a sight. There are pics on the Ventum 33 review thread.
-Josh

eltaco

WKR
I’ve been shooting with the picatinny mount and really love it. It’s not until you mount a quiver that you realize the major benefit. With a pic mount sight and integrated rest, there’s nothing on the right side of the bow, so you can move your quiver as close to the riser as possible. Major difference for balance with a fully rigged setup.

I’ve been shooting with the picatinny mount and really love it. It’s not until you mount a quiver that you realize the major benefit. With a pic mount sight and integrated rest, there’s nothing on the right side of the bow, so you can move your quiver as close to the riser as possible. Major difference for balance with a fully rigged setup.

Honestly the limiting factor for me on a few bows has been limb contact with the hood, sight and rest were clear from contact.

If it works for you tho that's great.

Copen1822

Lil-Rokslider
Just picked up my Ultra last night. I had "dibs'd" one from the initial order my shop had put in back in early Feb.

I shot both the 33 and the ultra a bunch before ordering and really liked the 33 too. I can't really say why but for some reason the ultra just felt a little better.

Shooting it in last night has me very happy with my decision! Thing is dead quiet and super smooth Had it shooting bullet holes on shot #3 without any change to the shims. The shop says they have been tuning up very easily.

I'm going to play with some back and side bars a little but it feels really good with just the little stubby in the lower position. Coming from a Nitrum Turbo with a 10" front stab and 6" back stab for reference.

Excited to get it sighted in this weekend and shoot it through the chrono.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 90% sure that is the weight without the stabilizer. I get it weight matters (to a point) but if a few ounces are your determining factor for your choice you could miss out....

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
8e97b70ef44de4547eb9d9b3caaa37ba.jpg

8cba14830ec42e2e287b26f89edd9479.jpg

834f774c199182193e31d7ecd1f06b2e.jpg

She arrived but during the cold bow challenge

It’ll get put together and be ready to break in as soon as the challenge is over.
Fit and finish are great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both the RX-5 and Ventum seem like great bows. I like their improvements to the cam system, but wish they had stayed with a yoke system. Also, the integrated rest and front sight mount are deal killers to me. I’ve never had an issue getting my tight spot quiver tight enough to the bow and dislike having to switch to an entirely new system with the sight and rest. It’s akin to Apple’s contemptible attitude toward consumers.

Also—the carbon bows keep increasing in weight every year. I like a heavy bow, but I get that with a 7 arrow quiver, Black Gold Pure 75 sight, and 10” stabilizer. Having a lower starting weight makes it the perfect weight with accessories mounted.

Also, I wish they still made the Turbo model. As a short guy, I try to get every ounce of performance out of my bow because I shoot 500+ grain arrows. I’ll stick with my RX-1 Turbo for now, but might upgrade to an RX-3 or RX-4 in the next couple years.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Both the RX-5 and Ventum seem like great bows. I like their improvements to the cam system, but wish they had stayed with a yoke system. Also, the integrated rest and front sight mount are deal killers to me. I’ve never had an issue getting my tight spot quiver tight enough to the bow and dislike having to switch to an entirely new system with the sight and rest. It’s akin to Apple’s contemptible attitude toward consumers.

Also—the carbon bows keep increasing in weight every year. I like a heavy bow, but I get that with a 7 arrow quiver, Black Gold Pure 75 sight, and 10” stabilizer. Having a lower starting weight makes it the perfect weight with accessories mounted.

Also, I wish they still made the Turbo model. As a short guy, I try to get every ounce of performance out of my bow because I shoot 500+ grain arrows. I’ll stick with my RX-1 Turbo for now, but might upgrade to an RX-3 or RX-4 in the next couple years.
I hear you on the yokes, I miss the simple tunability. Maybe the shim tuning will prove to be better in the long run.
Not sure why the option of a different sight and rest mounting option would be a deal killer, you can still mount the sight as you did in the past.
The weight is something I would like to stay low as well but the slight gain in weight seems to have allowed them to quiet the bow down considerably.

Overall I am liking what I am seeing, will know more soon.

bsnedeker

WKR
I hear you on the yokes, I miss the simple tunability. Maybe the shim tuning will prove to be better in the long run.
Not sure why the option of a different sight and rest mounting option would be a deal killer, you can still mount the sight as you did in the past.
The weight is something I would like to stay low as well but the slight gain in weight seems to have allowed them to quiet the bow down considerably.

Overall I am liking what I am seeing, will know more soon.
The comment about having additional mounting options is puzzling to me as well.

The yoke system is simple no doubt but shimming cams is basically an industry standard at this point. Not having the cables split seems more durable to me in the long run... I've always kind of worried about them when I'm busting brush (not that I ever had an issue in reality).