HPG Shepherd Stove

Caleb1986

FNG
I wonder how a damper would affect the burn in this stove: it’s not an airtight and I would be worried about smoke blowing out those cracks. Maybe a damper with a hole in it so it can still bypass smoke but still slow it down…

When we are talking about 2lbs and 5 ounces… I don’t think that’s heavy at all. A 50% weight savings is negligible.

I would love to try one myself.

BBob

WKR
You generally can’t manufacture and sell things here (and many forums) without paying for and becoming a sponsor. If you’ve got some materials and can put together a few things to sell and it stops there you’d likely be okay but a business enterprise to sell many is probably not.

It’ll be for to the OP and the management to figure out but have seen it come up before.

Looks like just the small lip at the top of the door to open it? If that's the case it looks like the door will be impossible to open while hot without pliers or something. Might want to address that unless I'm not seeing it correctly.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
I wonder how a damper would affect the burn in this stove: it’s not an airtight and I would be worried about smoke blowing out those cracks. Maybe a damper with a hole in it so it can still bypass smoke but still slow it down…

When we are talking about 2lbs and 5 ounces… I don’t think that’s heavy at all. A 50% weight savings is negligible.

I would love to try one myself.
The top of the stove is bowed up a little due to me forming the legs a little on the small side. In order for it to fit, it bowed a little. The final version should sit flat across the top. It might not be as air tight as say Seek Outsides stove but it's every bit as much as a Lite Outdoors or Kifaru. On the first burn, I did have some smoke coming through the cracks but I was not running a stove pipe. The stove pipe will act as a "vacuum" of sorts and should pull all that smoke up.

The intake on this is very small as there is not air control on the front. So far I haven't seen a need for a air control dampener on the front. If I need more air, I can run without the door to get it started. Once the fire is going good and I close the door, it burns very slowly. The dampener on top by the stove pipe should only help with that so I don't think that will force more smoke down.

Looks like just the small lip at the top of the door to open it? If that's the case it looks like the door will be impossible to open while hot without pliers or something. Might want to address that unless I'm not seeing it correctly.
The door design was made this way for simplicity. Cheaper, no hinges, more durable and I always found a door on hinges in the way when loading wood. I do however plan to add two wire loops to the top of the door to aid in removal. However, as is, you just need to lift up just a bit and it falls towards you. So if it's super hot, a small bump up with a stick will pop it right off. By the time the stove is reloaded, the door has cooled enough and it drops right in.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Any updates on if the commoners like us could buy one of these any time soon? Still cold and wet up here
Working on some updates, wasn't happy with the way the fasteners were reacting with extended heat. Going to a bolt instead of rivets on the hinges. Trying to make the door easier to remove and replace etc.

Working on some updates, wasn't happy with the way the fasteners were reacting with extended heat. Going to a bolt instead of rivets on the hinges. Trying to make the door easier to remove and replace etc.
Any updates?

Is the depth of it front to back only 10 inches?

Guys, I bought one of the beta test models.

Works great. Easy setup and takedown.

No spark or smoking issues.

Belly design held up very well. Whole design seemed very stout.

Door pops right off with an upward tap from a stick. Used a doubled up glove to reset the door after hot loading by just grabbing the upper lip.

I would say it a medium size and worked fine in my 8 man. Definitely made it quite toasty even when it was in the upper twenty degree range.

By the way, his shipping was fast.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. In fact when he eventually makes a larger size I will buy it.

Ice-kub

Lil-Rokslider
Guys, I bought one of the beta test models.

Works great. Easy setup and takedown.

No spark or smoking issues.

Belly design held up very well. Whole design seemed very stout.

Door pops right off with an upward tap from a stick. Used a doubled up glove to reset the door after hot loading by just grabbing the upper lip.

I would say it a medium size and worked fine in my 8 man. Definitely made it quite toasty even when it was in the upper twenty degree range.

By the way, his shipping was fast.

I would buy it again in a heartbeat. In fact when he eventually makes a larger size I will buy it.
I can second this, it's a slick setup. If he comes out with an 18 inch long version I'll be purchasing that as well.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Looks awesome. How do I get one with bolt hinges? Thank you.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Looks awesome. How do I get one with bolt hinges? Thank you.
Probably won't be making one with a hinge. Trying to keep it as light and simple as possible. Also I find it much easier to light a fire and load wood if you can take the door completely off.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Probably won't be making one with a hinge. Trying to keep it as light and simple as possible. Also I find it much easier to light a fire and load wood if you can take the door completely off.
My apologies. I didn't mean hinged door. I interpreted your post #70 as meaning you were going to use bolts instead of rivets for the stove body hinges.

Post #70:
"Working on some updates, wasn't happy with the way the fasteners were reacting with extended heat. Going to a bolt instead of rivets on the hinges. Trying to make the door easier to remove and replace etc."

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
My apologies. I didn't mean hinged door. I interpreted your post #70 as meaning you were going to use bolts instead of rivets for the stove body hinges.

Post #70:
"Working on some updates, wasn't happy with the way the fasteners were reacting with extended heat. Going to a bolt instead of rivets on the hinges. Trying to make the door easier to remove and replace etc."
Gotcha, yeah originally i tried rivets where the front and back panel hinge. I wasn't happy with how they were working so I switched to a bolt and lock nut.

Ashman71

FNG
I also got one of these stoves.
Really impressed. Very nice work.
Its small but heats very well. Easiest stove to asseble ever. No bolts and stupid fasteners. This is very well done. The removeable door is weird at first but works well. The damper is a nice addition and you can control the flame well.
So happy to finally have one of these designs.