HPG Shepherd Stove

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Would you make them in Ti or stainless? If you want any input on comercialization or developemnet for intl production I can help. I just want to buy one of these stoves but it could be a product with profit potentially if scaled properly. I know time is the maim factor, but if i can help, let me know. I work in design, manufactureing and development both domestically and in asia, not in metal stoves but in the outdoor industry. Thanks.
Good to know, I'll keep it in mind. At this point, the plan is to make one out of 24ga galvanized as a prototype as that's cheap. If that works out, I'll make one out of 28ga stainless, just to try to get it as thin as possible while keeping the strength as high as possible. Once i know what thickness i can get away with, I'll buy some titanium and cut it out of that.

Ashman71

FNG
Or, you could take what you got and have it developed in asia. They can cut these dev times buy multiple fold if given decent drawings and measurements. As well as make it viable for larger production. I understand how hard it is to carve out time to do this type of proto work for yourself. Partenering with an intl. manf. from the onset can help make it happen faster. Do you have a project goal for when you have time to do what you want? 4 months and the asian factory could be into proto 3 and ready for a short run for comercialization. It just depends if you want to bring it to market or keep it small and break even. Perhaps you already know this. Allot of times these asian factories have access to materials Ti gauges etc. in sample qty we don't without buying moqs.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Or, you could take what you got and have it developed in asia. They can cut these dev times buy multiple fold if given decent drawings and measurements. As well as make it viable for larger production. I understand how hard it is to carve out time to do this type of proto work for yourself. Partenering with an intl. manf. from the onset can help make it happen faster. Do you have a project goal for when you have time to do what you want? 4 months and the asian factory could be into proto 3 and ready for a short run for comercialization. It just depends if you want to bring it to market or keep it small and break even. Perhaps you already know this. Allot of times these asian factories have access to materials Ti gauges etc. in sample qty we don't without buying moqs.
Not taking anything overseas. I'd rather not make it than give them any money. I can finish the drawings and cut it tomorrow if I just make it a priority. I manage a laser fab shop, I have 8 lasers and 4 brake presses at my disposal and pretty much any material in stock.

Ashman71

FNG
Okey dokey. Let me know when I can buy one. Been holding off on a hot tent for myself since I saw this design after useing several already on the market with frozen hands and curseing them everytime. Prolly buy a few to get my freinds to replace the fricken seeks and kifarus.

FLH

Lil-Rokslider
Not taking anything overseas. I'd rather not make it than give them any money. I can finish the drawings and cut it tomorrow if I just make it a priority. I manage a laser fab shop, I have 8 lasers and 4 brake presses at my disposal and pretty much any material in stock.
"Not taking anything overseas. I'd rather not make it than give them any money."
------------------
1,000% in agreement.

That's a LOT of laser machines. Trumpf, by any chance?

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
image.jpg

Here’s the drawing I have as of now. 12” deep, 12” high, 8” wide. Model says 2.3lbs using .024 titanium. I think I can get away with .020, especially in the belly part so should be able to get it a little lighter yet.

Ashman71

FNG
Sweeet. Maybe a pre order situation? Damper control on the front option? Maybe its not needed.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Sweeet. Maybe a pre order situation? Damper control on the front option? Maybe its not needed.
Yeah, might have to do a crowdfund or something to finance a couple sheets of titanium lol.

I copied the HPG design and they didn’t have one. I wanted to give it a shot without a dampener control to see how it burned. It’s a simpler design obviously so that part would be nice but if it needs a dampener I can easily modify it to fit.

AkRyan

WKR
Out of curiosity what have you made improvements to? I never saw the original.

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
Out of curiosity what have you made improvements to? I never saw the original.
Really no improvements at all. The original design is unique in that it takes very little assembly. No hardware to fumble with and it has a naturally more sturdy design. The plan was to copy the original, test it and make improvements from there if necessary.

sneaky

"DADDY"
A lot of people don't want an Asian made stove. Simple as that. Enough of our damn production has gone to Asia, no need to send them anymore of it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
View attachment 495389

Here’s the drawing I have as of now. 12” deep, 12” high, 8” wide. Model says 2.3lbs using .024 titanium. I think I can get away with .020, especially in the belly part so should be able to get it a little lighter yet.
I had never heard of an HPG stove years ago when I mocked up one out of poster board that looks just like that lol. Still didn't ring a bell til you posted this drawing. Mine was longer though, 16-18" range.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
renagde

renagde

WKR
How's the testing?
Cut and assembled the first prototype a few weeks ago. I wasn't happy with the design and fitment so I'm working on redesigned some of it. Just found a source for .020 titanium so I need to get some on order. Next step is cutting another prototype from .020 stainless. Once I have the fit and function perfect, I'll start doing burn tests and then cutting the final design from titanium. Also working on designing a stove dampener/spark arrestor similar to the Seek design.

So far pretty happy. When packed down, it'll measure about 8x12x1.5" and weigh less than 2lbs. It will only consist of 3 pieces and won't have any loose hardware. It'll also be sturdy enough to hold a good sized pot/pan to cook on if that's your thing.