Hunter Fatally Shot Near Kremmling CO

OXN939

WKR
I've known of a few cases of people here in Virginia getting shot and/or killed because they were mistaken for turkeys. No excuse and completely unacceptable.

Got any articles on these? I'd never heard of a Turkey related incident in VA. Pretty reliably, the ones that I've heard of killing each other here are dog hunters. "I saw movement and shot." Happens a few times every year. One from several years ago.

Finch

WKR
Got any articles on these? I'd never heard of a Turkey related incident in VA. Pretty reliably, the ones that I've heard of killing each other here are dog hunters. "I saw movement and shot." Happens a few times every year. One from several years ago.
This link below is not the fatality I was alluding to but one of the first that popped up. The one I was talking about was before the internet was common. It ran in my local paper and I don't think anyone ever owned up to killing the man.

This is a crazy story I remember reading about.

OXN939

WKR
This link below is not the fatality I was alluding to but one of the first that popped up. The one I was talking about was before the internet was common. It ran in my local paper and I don't think anyone ever owned up to killing the man.

This is a crazy story I remember reading about.

Oh yikes. Neither of those looks fun. Truly, thinking about it, I can't come up with anything I'd be interested in hunting on VA public land during general firearms. Unsafe and unlikely to go well. Speaking of which, hope tomorrow bucks the 2020 trend...

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hunter densities are nuts in these units around Kremmling...dont really understand how CPW justifies that many hunters.
This!!!!! Not to mention the herds are dwindling by the year. 27/181 is like a pumpkin patch in downtown Denver. It’s ridiculous.

I always wonder if any of these incidents are actually murders made to look like an accident. Good way to bump off your buddy/relative due to a love triangle, insurance, etc. I know that no details were really provided in this case as the investigation is still active, and in all likelihood it is just a tragic situation, but being a retired CA detective I am always a little skeptical.

Last edited:
This is why I am hesitant to rifle hunt on public land....blaze orange or not. Sad for all involve

Negligence is negligence no matter where you’re hunting. I’m sure plenty of accidents have happened in low pressure units and it sounds like this instance involved members of the same party. Sad for everyone involved...

...Having said that my wife and I were driving through grand county on monday and I was astounded at what a mess it was. 20-30 rigs at some of the more popular trailheads. Par for the course in that country I suppose but nevertheless it did not look like fun to me. I’ve been peppered in the woods a few times and it is an unnerving experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I hunted the 3rd rifle opener last Saturday on public lands in Larimer county and it looked like a Broncos game. I felt relatively safe because I was on high ground, glassing, but walking out was very sketchy...

def90

WKR
Sad situation, the wildfires have pushed people in that area in to an even smaller parcel of land. If I was a betting man I would guess that this likely a mishandling/negligent discharge event. Be careful out there.

def90

WKR

"A hunter has been charged with criminally negligent homicide after allegedly shooting and killing another man in his hunting group in Grand County.

On Nov. 18, 52-year-old Harry Watkins was charged in connection with the shooting death. The charge is a Class 5 felony.

Simon Jacob Howell, 26, of Ridgeley, West Virginia, died after the shooting on Nov. 9."

fwafwow

WKR
Couple weeks ago in Nebraska- https://journalstar.com/news/local/...cle_badbcd82-c714-5fa6-b378-cd4e1bfbd3b4.html

I post this as another reminder to be safe and use good judgement at all times.
My buddy and I heard this shot (https://www.newsweek.com/nebraska-man-accidentally-kills-father-hunting-trip-1211240) when he picked me up after I climbed down from a tree stand. We both thought it was unusual because it was dark at the time.

I think that sometimes people feel hesitant to speak up about someone else's lack of care, and/or to state something as simple as "I've just unloaded my firearm - please confirm" as they get into an ATV or vehicle. May not have been an issue here, but it never hurts to be Captain Obvious when it comes to safety.

Finch

WKR
My buddy and I heard this shot (https://www.newsweek.com/nebraska-man-accidentally-kills-father-hunting-trip-1211240) when he picked me up after I climbed down from a tree stand. We both thought it was unusual because it was dark at the time.

I think that sometimes people feel hesitant to speak up about someone else's lack of care, and/or to state something as simple as "I've just unloaded my firearm - please confirm" as they get into an ATV or vehicle. May not have been an issue here, but it never hurts to be Captain Obvious when it comes to safety.

That's terrible! Couldn't imagine.

AZmark

WKR
I hunt AZ and NM extensively. Both states dont have a hunter orange requirement. (Except NM has the requirement in a couple of units with military installations. I wish they did!

I always wear at least a red/orange cap and tie a red bandanna to the back of my backpack.

LandYacht

WKR
I hunt AZ and NM extensively. Both states dont have a hunter orange requirement. (Except NM has the requirement in a couple of units with military installations. I wish they did!

I always wear at least a red/orange cap and tie a red bandanna to the back of my backpack.

Then wear orange. Crazy that you want someone to tell you to wear orange instead of choosing for yourself to do so.

What would change for you if others were wearing orange too?

AZmark

WKR
Then wear orange. Crazy that you want someone to tell you to wear orange instead of choosing for yourself to do so.

What would change for you if others were wearing orange too?

Welllll, I guess youve got a good point. I dont need someone to tell me to do it, I wear some red/orange because I want to and I dont trust everybody to be safe, so nothing would change for me. I

I put orange on any antlers I am carrying whether there is an orange requirement or not.

I remember my dad came out hunting killed a buck and I put orange on his the antlers. He said why do you do that people should know better. I said yeah, they should.

Last edited:

wyosam

WKR
I can believe most shooting cases were from accidental discharge.

I stopped rifle hunting 35 years ago...due to seeing other hunters watching me through their scopes.

My buddy I used to guide hogs with had a cousin shot in the head with a shotgun at close range....blew the kids head in half by his best friend, died instantly.

They were Duck hunting those sunken barrel blinds in muddy shallows and when the friend went to sit down he slipped with his gun aimed at his Best friends head and finger on the trigger.

That was in the 1980's...only fatal hunting accident that year as I recall.

_____

No such thing as accidental discharge. Thats a negligent discharge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk