Hunting in grizzly territory

NE FLORIDA in a small town called Palatka
I'm looking at two units in Wyoming for bow hunting next year that have high grizzly #'s and i have zero experience with them. Are they more active during the archery season vs gun season or generally all the time? I've read lots and lots of info on how/ what to do with my camp, food, and meat if I harvest a elk. I will have bear spray and a sidearm. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Will they come it to your calling?. Some of the units have wilderness area in them and i don't know any residents in Wyoming and won't have $ for a guide. What would be a good plan? What has been yalls experience if you've hunted around grizzlies

Last edited:

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
As a non-resident, you cannot hunt Wyoming wilderness area without a guide or a Wyoming resident. So you may need to rethink your plans.

From my reading (I have no personal experience) grizzly are active all through hunting season and are opportunistic for the most part and can be unpredictable. Most say to keep a clean camp, don’t hike in/out in the dark, don’t call when you cannot see what could be coming… Otherwise, you just have to go at it as normal and keep your head on a swivel.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
People could write novel length responses to this type of question. Obviously yes you want to keep a clean camp, hang food/toiletries, have a sidearm and bear spray yada yada yada. I think something a lot of people need to think about more than bear protection is understand bear activity. Say it's early season archery it a unit full of grizz and it's 80-90 degrees out, grizz are covered in fur they are gonna be hot, so probably want to avoid the thick dark timber where its cooler and you cant see or move well in. If you see fresh tracks/poop they likely are close by be thoughtful about hitting your cow call and maybe just clear out of that area unless you have great visibility. The majority of times people have run ins with bears its just as big of a surprise to the bear as it is for you, but when they get surprised they attack unlike many other animals (usually). People will be walking through thick timber/brush in the middle of the day or at night with the wind in their face and then be surprised when they stumbled across a grizz who then proceeds to rag doll them. If you understand how animals will likely behave and act accordingly you can save yourself a lot potential problems. You'll always have bears that will be an exception to the rule though that's just life, but for the most part if a bear can see or smell you from far enough away and isn't trying to claim your kill it'll likely run off.

There has been a lot written on this subject and I bet you find a load of good info with some savvy searching. Generally, my take is that the grizzly units tend to have better hunting for the point spend than non-grizzly units, because people are scared to hunt around gbears. Also generally, people who follow the safety precautions don't have issues with bears, and on the whole very very few people are ever hurt or killed by gbears. You'll probably be fine!

OP
Andrewlonghi
There has been a lot written on this subject and I bet you find a load of good info with some savvy searching. Generally, my take is that the grizzly units tend to have better hunting for the point spend than non-grizzly units, because people are scared to hunt around gbears. Also generally, people who follow the safety precautions don't have issues with bears, and on the whole very very few people are ever hurt or killed by gbears. You'll probably be fine!
I've been reading old thread and looking up good info, but I figured there would be some guys on here that could enlighten me a little bit more with there experiences and knowledge. All mine is with black bears in Florida lol

if you harvest a elk , you better be proficient at breaking down a animal and better be quick about it, you are on the clock to get it cut up and hung high enough to keep them out of it and away from the gut pile,, they are coming, and get it packed out, if I were you and looking at some of the areas up near Cody I would reach out to someone that can help pack out the meat. that would be my biggest concern in that country, as far as sleeping with them like others stated, use the rules everyone knows, dont eat where you sleep, hang your food and other smelly stuff, you should be good as far as that goes, its when you harvest one that it will get interesting.

I've been reading old thread and looking up good info, but I figured there would be some guys on here that could enlighten me a little bit more with there experiences and knowledge. All mine is with black bears in Florida lol

I meant there has been a lot written on Rokslide already. I do see the grizzly wrestling thread is clogging up the search feature, so that sucks.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Statistically speaking- driving to your hunting place is probably infinitely more dangerous than the possibility of being attacked by a bear. That said, I am always aware of the possibility of encountering a bear. My close scary encounters have been with wild hogs and a bull moose-and a random confused beef cow.

I’m confident that I have had bears around me and they smelled me or saw me or heard me and left.

It’s a matter of being honest with yourself, and your comfort level of hunting where they exist. There is no shame in simply not going where bears are. The idea is to enjoy the hunt which is difficult to do if bears are a constant concern.

wyosteve

WKR
I've probably mentioned this before, but the one thing that initially surprised me dealing with grizzlies is that a sow with cubs is not like on TV where the cubs are by her side or close to her. I've seen cubs up to 75 yards away from the sow so you can understand why it's easy to unknowingly get between them. Personally, if I'm going through thick stuff, I have my bear spray in one hand, ready to use, not in its holster.

KHNC

WKR
Statisticall speaking- driving to your hunting place is probably infinitely more dangerous than the possibility of being attacked by a bear. That said, I am always aware of the possibility of encountering a bear. My close scary encounters have been with wild hogs and a bull moose-and a random confused beef cow.

I’m confident that I have had beers around me and they smelled me or saw me or heard me and left.

It’s a matter of being honest with yourself, and your comfort level of hunting where they exist. There is no shame in simply not going where bears are. The idea is to enjoy the hunt which is difficult to do if bears are a constant concern.
Best thing to do is keep your beer , or beers, in your hands at all times. Sometimes if you dont watch them while you are taking a piss, they will runnoft. Otherwise, this is great advice you posted.

kpk

WKR
if you harvest a elk , you better be proficient at breaking down a animal and better be quick about it, you are on the clock to get it cut up and hung high enough to keep them out of it and away from the gut pile,, they are coming, and get it packed out, if I were you and looking at some of the areas up near Cody I would reach out to someone that can help pack out the meat. that would be my biggest concern in that country, as far as sleeping with them like others stated, use the rules everyone knows, dont eat where you sleep, hang your food and other smelly stuff, you should be good as far as that goes, its when you harvest one that it will get interesting.

Good advice. Coming back to a carcass that's been claimed is my biggest worry.

finner

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting a couple of grizzly-thick HDs in Montana, what seems very important is shuttling meat and quarters away from the gut pile at least a few hundred yards before starting the pack out. Preferably somewhere visible so you can glass them before you head in on the next trip. This saved a buddy of mine whose bull got claimed outside Yellowstone a few years ago from what likely would have been a nasty encounter

KHNC

WKR
Most of those areas near cody, yellowstone and Jackson hole are slam full of Grizz. Not sure how bad the winter was on the elk.

yeti14

Lil-Rokslider
All good advise so far. You didn't mention if you were solo or not. I always hunt with a reliable partner that knows what the hell they're doing. Having a second set of eyes while your field dressing is a good idea.
With that said, I hunt in an area with some of the highest brown bear densities in the world. I've had only one scary encounter in all that time. Your odds are pretty low to have any issues if your smart about it and it seems like you are since your asking questions.

OP
Andrewlonghi
All good advise so far. You didn't mention if you were solo or not. I always hunt with a reliable partner that knows what the hell they're doing. Having a second set of eyes while your field dressing is a good idea.
With that said, I hunt in an area with some of the highest brown bear densities in the world. I've had only one scary encounter in all that time. Your odds are pretty low to have any issues if your smart about it and it seems like you are since your asking questions.
Thanks, definitely know nothing about grizzlies other then what I have read and help from you guys. It will be me and my two brothers. Are trip will be next year but we are trying to find out as much as possible.

Fetty Wapiti

Lil-Rokslider
Basically what yeti14 stated. Be smart. Recovering an animal or meat after dark is something I personally wouldn't feel comfortable doing. That or leaving an animal overnight. We only hunt in high grizzly density areas. We see bears up close almost as often as we have shots on elk. There is a point every afternoon we call no shots fired. At that point you go back to camp or scout for the following morning. If a bear gets to your kill before you... leave it be. Attempting to push a bear off a kill can end up really bad for you or more likely the bear. I feel obligated to avoid putting myself, friends, and bears in a bad situation.

ROKnROAL

FNG
If a grizz has claimed the carcass, there’s really no good way to go about getting it back. It belongs to the bear now, and they’ll have no problem showing you that in a violent way, especially in hunting season when they’re in hyperphagia. Getting a kill away from the gut pile, quartered and hung quickly is key.

Here in Canada, can’t carry a sidearm for bear protection unfortunately but I get around that by having a short barrel 12ga with slugs strapped onto my pack. Also carry bear spray. Be careful in thick vegetation, that’s where I’ve had my two encounters.