Hunting setup critique

philcox

WKR
Wanted to get any advice on anything that seems completely "out of line" with my current hunting setup. First time Archery hunting for Mule Deer and Blacktail.
  • Hoyt Powermax topped out and measured at 69# at the shop, 27" draw length
  • FastEddie Single pin adjustable
  • 8" Bee Stinger stabilizer
  • QAD Ultra-rest HDX
  • Arrows
    • Gold Tip Hunter (I have Hunter, Hunter XT, and the Cabela's X1 Pros, and they all seem to shoot relatively the same for me) - 300 spine on all
    • 3 2" Blazer vanes
    • NAP Thunderheads (weigh roughly 111gr)
    • Total arrow are right around 426gr, with approx 10.3 FOC
  • Tight Spot 7 Arrow Quiver
I think the only "adjustable" thing is my arrow setup, but that seems to be in the "range" that I have read about.

Input is appreciated.

Phil

Last edited:
I’m a fan of a multi pin sight over a single pin, but that’s just a personal preference.

That being said, your set up will kill anything in North America provided you do your part.

Last edited:
You don't have your spine or arrow length listed. I don't see anything to critique in your choice of equipment. But if asking for input on your setup you need to give a little more information.

I’m a multi-pin guy too. Arrow spine?

You might find shorter more compact fixed heads. NAP nitron if you like 3-blade fixed NAPs.

Are you comfortable with your stabilizer setup?

Fall away rest?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
You don't have your spine or arrow length listed. I don't see anything to critique in your choice of equipment. But if asking for input on your setup you need to give a little more information.
I added some details I forgot: Rest, Spine, Stabilizer

NYSKIER

WKR
Looks decent enough to me I say if it's shooting straight and you're confident in it don't change a thing

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Get a better Broadhead. Other than that your setup is fine
Any suggestions? These were the ones a buddy of mine has shot for a while. I also like that I can replace the blades after practicing for a while, and not change the dynamics of the setup. Since I am, new, open to suggestions.

OR Archer

WKR
QAD Exodus if you want a replacement blade head. It’s tougher, tunes better, and much better blade retention.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
QAD Exodus if you want a replacement blade head. It’s tougher, tunes better, and much better blade retention.
Where would I be able to find out if they are legal in CA, NV, and ID? Read something about the "sweep over" being considered a Barb, and illegal in some states.

Thunder heads aren't a terrible bh. But yes there are better out there.

If you get the full blade Exodus it isn't considered a barbed head. They are some of the tougher replaceable bh's out there. But they aren't as easy to tune as some of the more compact heads in my experience.

With your arrows at 29" you could go to a 125 grain head and still be good on spine if you wanted to. Also if you wanted to go lighter you could get by with a 28" or possibly 27.5 and use a 340 spine. Just a couple of options if you wanted to go heavier or lighter on your arrows.

Last edited:
OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
Thunder heads aren't a terrible bh. But yes there are better out there.

If you get the full blade Exodus it isn't considered a barbed head. They are some of the tougher replaceable bh's out there. But they aren't as easy to tune as some of the more compact heads in my experience.

With your arrows at 29" you could go to a 125 grain head and still be good on spine if you wanted to. Also if you wanted to go lighter you could get by with a 28" or possibly 27.5 and use a 340 spine. Just a couple of options if you wanted to go heavier or lighter on your arrows.

When I went to my local Pro Shop, they told me that the 29 was about as short as I should go. I am guessing it is because of the 31" ATA on the Powermax and my DL, anything under 29" might be a bit too tight

I have a pretty similar setup as you:
-Elite Impulse 31, 65#, 27" draw length
-Bee Stinger
-QAD rest
-Tight Spot
-Gold Tip Hunter XT's (340/7595 spine), 27.5" cut, 30gr weight added, 100gr VPA 3-blade, total weight 420 gr
-about 273 fps

I don't have a huge sample size, but I have taken four elk with this setup. Your's should work just fine on muleys assuming your arrows are tuned right.

Like others have said, if you are starting from scratch there are other broadheads I would look at before your Thunderheads, including Slick Trick, VPA, Wac'em and Exodus. If your bow tunes well with the Thunderheads and you have already bought them, then you should be fine using them.

I prefer a multi-pin sight over single pin for western hunting, but know guys that hunt with a single pin as well.

I don't understand why your shop would tell you that you can't cut your arrow shorter than 29". Your draw length is only 27", so you have some room to play with there. It will stiffen the spine a bit, and you could bump up to 125 gr heads if you were concerned with weight being too light.

When I went to my local Pro Shop, they told me that the 29 was about as short as I should go. I am guessing it is because of the 31" ATA on the Powermax and my DL, anything under 29" might be a bit too tight

I'm not certain I'm following. I thought your draw length was 27"? That should have your Berger hole around 25.5" give or take. Or 27" +- to the front of the riser depending on the bow geometry. I would think you have 2 extra inches to play with. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
I'm not certain I'm following. I thought your draw length was 27"? That should have your Berger hole around 25.5" give or take. Or 27" +- to the front of the riser depending on the bow geometry. I would think you have 2 extra inches to play with. Maybe I'm misunderstanding something.
Might be the way I am explaining it.

OP
philcox

philcox

WKR
So this is about what it looks like (estimates based on looking in a mirror). I am not sure how close I would want a broadhead to my grip.