Hunting with Migraines

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Hi All,

I read the feature post about hunting with diabetes, and although I don't have to deal with that, I am a migraine sufferer. I get classic migraines that start with aura, I lose my vision or tunnel vision for about 30 minutes, and then a crushing headache hits and occasionally it's accompanied by vomiting. I have to go into a dark room and can do nothing but lay there for 3-5 hours, and then I'm kind of slow for the next two days or so. This likely sounds familiar to anyone that gets true, classic migraines.

I take Advil and sumatriptan at the onset, but usually all that does is slightly lessen the pain, not get rid of the headache or the episode. One of my greatest fears is being in the backcountry and having a migraine hit. For those that also suffer, have you gotten migraines in the backcountry? If so, what have you done, or what do you do to try and prevent them so you can keep doing what you love?

ryanbauman23

Lil-Rokslider
I suffer from the exact same thing as you describe. They are completely debilitating. I have found nothing that works unless I get some sleep. So I will take a Tylenol PM and head back to tent and try to get some sleep. The next day I am pretty useless, so I just take it easy.

OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
I suffer from the exact same thing as you describe. They are completely debilitating. I have found nothing that works unless I get some sleep. So I will take a Tylenol PM and head back to tent and try to get some sleep. The next day I am pretty useless, so I just take it easy.
yep, debilitating and useless are pretty apt terms.

Broomd

WKR
I also suffer but mine are short-lived, thankfully. A dark room or area fixes me up pretty quickly, and normally they don't return in the same day. That refuge doesn't exist out there hunting though.
The aura is always wicked though--a blinding tunnel--particularly in snowy and bright conditions.
As a former Alaskan and hard core sheep and goat hunter it was a reality hiking on the edge of aura most of the time I spent in the high country.

I feel for you guys that get so hard hit by this, most don't even know that this condition exists. I didn't know the formal name until fairly recently when I explained my 25 year condition to my eye doctor.
Frankly I was shocked by this thread! I've known of no one else who suffers.

My recommendations based on experience: limit light exposure--good sunglass or clip-ons for glasses, hydration, decent sleep if you can get it, clean eating--no crap food. PACE yourself, small steps...take your time out there.

OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
That's good advice Broomd, and you're right - the aura is wicked and nearly the worst part. That and the hungover feeling that sticks around for a few days. My eyes are also really light sensitive and i'll see spots from light even with dark sunglasses on so it definitely doesn't help matters. I don't drink or smoke, and I eat pretty clean, but pacing myself is something that I still can't seem to master....

Broomd

WKR
Yep, totally agree brother, and with that wicked aura often comes that nausea.
I jog daily and I especially experience them in the Summer. I can't look at a computer for an hour, the dark spots overwhelm the screen.

Couple of other things, and you probably already know this but others may not....but quick elevation change-climbing, thin oxygen/smokey air and extreme heat are also dependable triggers.
Wrap around DARK sunglasses are really important, they will help. Don't keep too much heat on your head, fleece is amazing stuff, but it can keep the head too warm prompting A.M.s.

It's tough situation, but you aren't alone and have support in other guys that deal.

OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, totally agree brother, and with that wicked aura often comes that nausea.
I jog daily and I especially experience them in the Summer. I can't look at a computer for an hour, the dark spots overwhelm the screen.

Couple of other things, and you probably already know this but others may not....but quick elevation change-climbing, thin oxygen/smokey air and extreme heat are also dependable triggers.
Wrap around DARK sunglasses are really important, they will help. Don't keep too much heat on your head, fleece is amazing stuff, but it can keep the head too warm prompting A.M.s.

It's tough situation, but you aren't alone and have support in other guys that deal.
Good advice again, and it is somewhat cathartic to hear other people deal with the same thing, even though you don't hope it on anyone!

For me I think I sometimes get started to quickly, and at the beginning of a hunt it's easy to be over anxious to begin with which doesn't help. Slowing down is something I need to focus on, and controlling my breathing. The heat on the head is a good tip...never really thought about that one.

Broomd

WKR
Mine are so random that I can not figure out the triggers. Usually they come in spurts, I'll get 3-4 episodes over a 2 week period then none again for up to years.
Yep, they can be very random or downright insidious.

But crazy how we can all relate!

Thankful for this thread, thought about posting on this a thousand times but thought guys would never figure out wth I was referring to.

OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Mine are so random that I can not figure out the triggers. Usually they come in spurts, I'll get 3-4 episodes over a 2 week period then none again for up to years.
That is random! Mine are random too, but I get them at a higher frequency. I use to say I'd get one every 3-4 months. I've gone as long as 8 months without one, and as little as two weeks. But generally they space themselves a few months apart.

I've tried to pinpoint foods that may be the culprit, but I've got them when I'm eating "dirty" and when I'm eating really clean. I've got them when I've been drinking, and when I've been completely dry.

Although I'm not diabetic to my knowledge, I do get hangry and bouts of low blood sugar when exercising sometimes, which can cause a similar spotty vision. I've wondered if they are tied to blood sugar in anyway.

The only thing that seems constant is they happen around some type of stressor or when I've been too worked up for too long.

kloppy

FNG
@co_archer I have noticed the blood sugar thing too.

I have had them since I was 11. My trigger seems to be summer and, more particularly, changes in barometric pressure around those summer storms. Still, I sometimes get the random one that comes up for no good reason at all. With that being said, I recently had a 3.5 year stretch without one followed by 5 or so last year. Tried every medicine/treatment available with no luck. From my research, doctors are pretty clueless when it comes to migraines.

92xj

WKR
I have been dealing with these for the past 22 years. The only otc meds that help me are 2 doses of goodies/bc powder the second I start to see the aura.

I have experienced them in the backcountry and they have seemed to be less intense. Find a tree, shade and take a nap.

Last edited:
OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
@co_archer I have noticed the blood sugar thing too.

I have had them since I was 11. My trigger seems to be summer and, more particularly, changes in barometric pressure around those summer storms. Still, I sometimes get the random one that comes up for no good reason at all. With that being said, I recently had a 3.5 year stretch without one followed by 5 or so last year. Tried every medicine/treatment available with no luck. From my research, doctors are pretty clueless when it comes to migraines.
100%. Isn't that what is so frustrating? Different triggers for everyone, with no obvious rhyme or reason, and yes, doctors seem to just prescribe whatever drug they feel may help.

I can't remember the first time I got one, but it was sometime in my early teens.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
Oooohhh...migraines while Hunting. Or biking. Or gardening. Or anything. Had them since I was 3, so over 45 years? Used to take Tylenol by the handful. Triggered by heat, lack of sleep, wine, upper body weight training, altitude, cold fro ts, etc. etc. Finally got a handle on them using topomax, but that caused me to drop 30 pounds & suffer significant cognitive decline. Have my PhD in hard science, and couldn't divide 4000 by 50. Was not good. So now we make sure I stay hydrated, eat right, get enough sleep, & don't screw up my back. Always have rizatriptan benzoate & aleve on hand. Always. Just something you deal with. We got a portable air conditioner for our tent, & I just pay VERY close attention to my body when out hunting. If I act prophylactically, I can get through many trips without going down with a migraine. When I ignore the signs, I lose a day and a half to two days. Which is a lot if you only have 4 days to hunt. They're horrible things, I feel for folks who haven't figured out how to manage them.

OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Yep, they can be very random or downright insidious.

But crazy how we can all relate!

Thankful for this thread, thought about posting on this a thousand times but thought guys would never figure out wth I was referring to.
I'm glad I posted!!

GLB

WKR
I get migraines about once every couple months or so.I am lucky that if I take ibuprofen as soon as it starts I’ll just have a dull headache the rest of the day. If i don’t take the Ibuprofen right away, it will be a bad day for me. I also loose sight in one eye regardless for about 30-40 minutes.

BBob

WKR
I used to regularly suffer from them but my (new at the time) doc figured out my cause. Mine were surprisingly caused by stress and tension. My doc figured out my sternocleidomastoid muscle on one side was extremely tense and tight. A large nerve bundle runs through this muscle and when it's constantly pinched it causes pain and headache behind the eye and temple area that developed into migraines. Focusing on reducing stress and massaging the muscle regularly over time got it to relax and the migraines stopped. I have to be aware of the muscle tension and massage it out fairly regular but I haven't suffered a migraine in 15 years give or take.

ZDR

WKR
Great question! I have had migraines since I was ~6 and they have steadily become more frequent, now at 2x per month or so. Same symptoms as others described here but Sumatriptan works for me. In particular the nose spray version. I do notice that I get best effectiveness from the Sumatriptan if I mix it up between the pill version and the nose spray. After 3-5 months of using one type, they seem to lose their effectiveness so alternating between the two is best for me. My Dr has offered me an injection kit, but I just dont see doing that myself.

One thing you may look into is Botox injections. A friend tried it and he has not had a migraine since. Plus he looks younger:) Im a bit leery of it myself.

I have tried to Id triggers for my migraines for years, and finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. Turns out I have a bad neck (old fracture, bone spurs, DJD, and pinched nerves) that causes my neck to tighten up so much that a tension headache develops into a full blown migraine with with nausea and vomiting. Since my Dr. has started treating my neck (first with muscle relaxers, then steroid injections, and now radiofrequency nerve ablation), my migraine frequency has significantly reduced. I know each persons situation is unique, but for years I thought my headaches cause my neck discomfort, not the other way around. Best of luck to you all. Migraines suck.

OP
co_archer

co_archer

Lil-Rokslider
Oooohhh...migraines while Hunting. Or biking. Or gardening. Or anything. Had them since I was 3, so over 45 years? Used to take Tylenol by the handful. Triggered by heat, lack of sleep, wine, upper body weight training, altitude, cold fro ts, etc. etc. Finally got a handle on them using topomax, but that caused me to drop 30 pounds & suffer significant cognitive decline. Have my PhD in hard science, and couldn't divide 4000 by 50. Was not good. So now we make sure I stay hydrated, eat right, get enough sleep, & don't screw up my back. Always have rizatriptan benzoate & aleve on hand. Always. Just something you deal with. We got a portable air conditioner for our tent, & I just pay VERY close attention to my body when out hunting. If I act prophylactically, I can get through many trips without going down with a migraine. When I ignore the signs, I lose a day and a half to two days. Which is a lot if you only have 4 days to hunt. They're horrible things, I feel for folks who haven't figured out how to manage them.
Yeah, you said it. They can hit when you're doing anything, and they are NEVER at an opportune time.

I do a pretty good job of taking care of my diet and staying hydrated, but I have some neck (C7 area) and lower back pain from playing football and powerlifting without belt support that I KNOW I need to see a chiropractor about.

What do you do prophylactically to get ahead? Take the same meds you would take if one hit, or just pay close attention to the pre signs?