Hypothetical - You can only bring one firearm….

You can only bring one firearm on a DIY alaskan moose hunt - what are you bringing and why? Bolt action, lever action, semi auto, handgun? This firearm would have to be used to kill a moose and for bear defense etc.

Overwire

FNG
Whatever makes you comfortable so you enjoy the experience. I’d just take my Tikka 6.5cm. Super comfortable and confident in that rifle to do whatever I need. I wouldn’t loose any sleep if I had to take my Tikka in .223 or 7mm Rm though. They just work. I’m just not quite there yet on using the .223 for moose/bear, need more first hand experience, and the 7rm is a little much for follow ups, spotting shots, etc… for me. If I was really bear paranoid then I would probably pick up an AR platform 6.5cm or .308.

SonnyDay

WKR
All the moose I have ever encountered in the wild would have easily been taken with a handgun. Some of them with a sledgehammer. These encounters include: Alaska, Minnesota, Oregon, Colorado, and the western provinces of Canada.

Longbarrel .44 Magnum?

In fairness, not sure I'd have the balls to go on that hypothetical hunt with only a handgun. Would probably bring my 7mm Rem Mag rifle.

But it's hard to nail a grizzly that's tearing into your tent in the middle of the night with a (modern day) long rifle.

kkp005

WKR
I’d probably go tikka 308, trijicon credo , and some 168gr TMKs or 165 gr federal fusion.

If I was very bear paranoid prob just take an Ar15, 1-6 or 1-8 triji or NF, mag full of 77gr TMKs