I always settle low when aiming

bozeman

WKR
Ok- it seems when I come to full draw (straight back, no sky aim to draw bow) that my sight picture settles below the target and I have to raise UP to get on the target…..thoughts to help on this or is this something I have to deal with? Thanks!

JoshOR

Lil-Rokslider
For me it was a form of target panic. Couldn’t for the life of me move my pin up to the target. Started anticipating and all kinds of garbage. Got a tension release and working through it, learning to float on the target and surprise release.

Ajax2744

FNG
Lots of things. It could be target panic. As soon as your pin covers bullseye you drop to be able to see the bull and hold low or fight to raise bow up because your brain doesn’t want to block your view of target.
If it’s not a form of target panic then it could be bad form. A collapsed front shoulder will cause bones to come out of alignment and instead of holding bow up with your back muscles you use your arms and cause you to hold low.
Could be your draw length is too long
If form and draw length are 100% perfect as confirmed by someone who really knows what to look for then you could start messing with stab weights. Too much weight out front can cause dipping of sight. You can take weight off or add a back bar and add weight to the rear to balance bow and allow sight to raise.
My guess is most likely draw length, form, or target panic. Or a combination oaf the three

Fatcamp

WKR
Do you have a level in the bottom of your sight that you look at?

Your sight goes where you are looking. You look down from the target at your level and your pins will follow.

Hmmm..... I tend to check my level when I am on target.

I realized the level was a trigger for me. It would cause me to float low, then I'd get the version of target panic that I struggled to bring the pins back up.

I put tape over my level for several months, among other things.

I bought the Dry Fire Pro Trainer to get over target panic and settling on the target.

It allows for a sight to be attached to the “riser” and it helped so much that I don’t need to use it anymore. Have it in my office in case it comes back again, but getting some type of ”training aid” that’s not your bow can help immensely. Good luck!

Vandy321

WKR
I had this...I was told to settle that rear shoulder blade down/back into the pocket after you draw...if that back shoulder is still tensed from the draw, chances are it will be high with traps activated. Tuck that should down and back and hold the draw with the muscle between your spine ans scapula.

TravisIN

WKR
It’s target panic. Did the same exact thing forever and i think this one of the most common forms of it. People try all kinds of stuff, stabilizer combos, changing sights, making your bow as light as possible thinking it’s because it’s too heavy, etc. Beat advice I can give is get a hinge or a tension release like a silverback or Stan perfex. Learn to shoot it properly and it will change your life. I’m back to A thumb release but have no issues with TP. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had this...I was told to settle that rear shoulder blade down/back into the pocket after you draw...if that back shoulder is still tensed from the draw, chances are it will be high with traps activated. Tuck that should down and back and hold the draw with the muscle between your spine ans scapula.
Nailed it. But only if this is a dip bang issue and not sitting below the spot from the get go. If it’s the dips (meaning you draw back, get one the target, and then the pin starts to sink) then George Ryles did a good video on it you should watch. His form trick helped me quite a bit.

If it falls below it at your anchor and never gets in the dot, I’d suggest letting down until you can draw back and let the pin sit. If you don’t plan to shoot the shot, I’d imagine the pin will sit dead center.

If your shooting a trigger it could be TP. If it’s TP, get a hinge. It will save you a lot of heart ache. Just my experience.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
Thanks all! Wow, MANY hinge/tension releases.......any recommendations for a first time user of this type of release?

Here's Grivs video on shoulder placement. It's the second part of the video.

I'm not really a fan of going to a tension or hinge to fix target panic. I know I'm in a minority with that but the issue is mental, not with the release. You need to pretty well relearn your release if you truly have it, that's what the hinge will do, but it doesn't always fix the problem. It takes repetition, lots of it. People recommend blind baling, I'm not big on that either. I like a big target that you are close to. Need to have a big bullseye that is easy to keep the pin in. Do something like a 50cm field target at 8-10 yards. Makes it so your pin doesn't float out of the center. Shoot and shoot and shoot. That's the thing that helped me the most.

Lots of recommendations to pull your sight, that's just avoiding the problem. You need to shoot everything like you normally do, just get the reps in to retrain your mind. If you make the target really, really easy, you won't need to fight it. You can just shoot and retrain.

With my comment about the level I wasn't trying to say it was that simple, it's just something that I found to be a trigger to the TP. I think lots of little things can be a trigger. If you can identify things that cause it, you can help prevent it from coming back. It's like an addiction, it never goes away, always lurking. You need to stay on top of it.

Last edited:

Ajax2744

FNG
Here's Grivs video on shoulder placement. It's the second part of the video.

I'm not really a fan of going to a tension or hinge to fix target panic. I know I'm in a minority with that but the issue is mental, not with the release. You need to pretty well relearn your release if you truly have it, that's what the hinge will do, but it doesn't always fix the problem. It takes repetition, lots of it. People recommend blind baling, I'm not big on that either. I like a big target that you are close to. Need to have a big bullseye that is easy to keep the pin in. Do something like a 50cm field target at 8-10 yards. Makes it so your pin doesn't float out of the center. Shoot and shoot and shoot. That's the thing that helped me the most.

Lots of recommendations to pull your sight, that's just avoiding the problem. You need to shoot everything like you normally do, just get the reps in to retrain your mind. If you make the target really, really easy, you won't need to fight it. You can just shoot and retrain.

With my comment about the level I wasn't trying to say it was that simple, it's just something that I found to be a trigger to the TP. I think lots of little things can be a trigger. If you can identify things that cause it, you can help prevent it from coming back. It's like an addiction, it never goes away, always lurking. You need to stay on top of it.
I agree. Lots of money is wasted on equipment trying to fix form or target panic issues.

I had it for a couple years and the only thing to fix it was get rid of the trigger. I went with a hinge release from carter, but the pure tension ones look good also.

OP
bozeman

bozeman

WKR
watched the video, thank you.........gonna move my target in to 10 yards and practice this evening.......its the strangest thing.....