I think I’m finally done with Salomon

199p

FNG
I generally get about a year out of my crispy Colorado's before they turn into racing slicks but well worth the extra grip and how comfortable they are.

edit to I'm about 4 sets in and still running them. great boot for what i need.

Last edited:

IDVortex

WKR
Man. Reading this makes it even harder to settle on boots. Looked at Crispi Colorados, they felt amazing on my feet. But guys have issues with Crispi, I swear any company has issues. Or are we as consumers so picky now that shoe manufacturers can't truly build a long lasting pair? Anyway, guess I'll keep a eye for a sale on Colorados.

Had mixed experience with Salomon and Merrell these last few years. My Crispi collection keeps growing. I opted for a set of Salewa when my Solomon hiking shoes died. So far so good but not a lot of miles yet.

Soft boots don't last long. Light materials and abundant stitching present failure points.

If you want boots to last, buy stiff soled with minimal seams and treat the leather to prevent it from rotting.

If you want out of the box comfort that feels like a running shoe, you have to be ok with buying a new pair every year.

sndmn11

WKR
@Ucsdryder I have some 12 Hoffman's you can try that I never wear. I bet you'd get a lot of traction on a light/athletic boot shootout.

https://schnees.com/bitterroot-mens/ kestrel/mission/timberline

This is what I wear when I want a "boot"

https://www.inov-8.com/us/walking/footwear/boots/mens either roclite

I am told Meindl is coming out with some lighter than normal and between a barefoot and wide fit full grain leather boot in a few months.

I stopped looking for boots after finding Vivo, Inov8 and the above Hanwags.

I’d give a look at the La sportiva raptors. The leather gtx ones. But go with the wides as the toe box is pretty narrow on the regulars. And maybe half size up if wearing thicker socks. I too went away from Salomon’s after going through two pairs a year for work.

KHNC

WKR
Lowa Caminos are badass.They last and are waterproof. Solomon doesnt even know what water resistant means. lol. Got a sweet pair of Salewas last fall too. They are nice, but not as nice as the Caminos.

I used to use the Salomon 4d 3 gtx for work, but after they changed the style several years ago, I migrated away from them. I bought a pair of Kenetrek Corrie boots and found them equal or better than the Salomons in every way, comfort, fit, durability, and water proofness. I bought a second pair just to have an extra in case Kenetrek decided to discontinue them. They are nothing like the Kenetrek Bridgers, which I tried but hated. They were uncomfortable, provided no support, and weren't waterproof.

OrangeMan73

Lil-Rokslider
Lowa Caminos are badass.They last and are waterproof. Solomon doesnt even know what water resistant means. lol. Got a sweet pair of Salewas last fall too. They are nice, but not as nice as the Caminos.
Just bought a pair myself and digging em so far. If they last I'm a local convert.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Soft boots don't last long. Light materials and abundant stitching present failure points.

If you want boots to last, buy stiff soled with minimal seams and treat the leather to prevent it from rotting.

If you want out of the box comfort that feels like a running shoe, you have to be ok with buying a new pair every year.
This is probably the hard truth, I want light and a softer sole but for it to last for 3 years

Maki35

WKR
Thanks for the info/ heads-up. I've had my share of boots that have failed on me at the most inconvenient time. I make it a point to avoid some brands because of this.

I too swore off Salomon boots but came crawling back…haven’t found anything to replace that soft sole goodness. I’ve accepted just buying a new pair every year, usually find some good deals on eBay.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Believe it or not treated every 3 months with Lowas special boot conditioner per their recommendation.
I swear all these boot manufacturers just make em and sell em, or if they test it is on a paved road or trail, you take anything off road and it’s done-Zoe in 180 or so miles of off trail use

CorbLand

WKR
Not soft soled but I have had a few boots.

Zamberlan Guide 980s. Treated them like shit and got 5 years out of them. I still have them and replaced them because I wore the toe out and there is a hole. The boot liner also came loose so your foot moves. I sent pictures to a couple boot people and they think they can fix them but I just bought a new pair.

Crispi Guides. Had them two years and they look really good. Probably my favorite boot so far.

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I wear these the least but like them.

Call me in about 15-20 years and I will be through all three of these and can give you an update.

Soft sole, light boots are not designed to last if you use them. Plan to buy often.

If anyone wants my first pair of Zamberlans, PM me. They are 9.5s.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Not soft soled but I have had a few boots.

Zamberlan Guide 980s. Treated them like shit and got 5 years out of them. I still have them and replaced them because I wore the toe out and there is a hole. The boot liner also came loose so your foot moves. I sent pictures to a couple boot people and they think they can fix them but I just bought a new pair.

Crispi Guides. Had them two years and they look really good. Probably my favorite boot so far.

Kenetrek Mountain Extremes. I wear these the least but like them.

Call me in about 15-20 years and I will be through all three of these and can give you an update.

Soft sole, light boots are not designed to last if you use them. Plan to buy often.

If anyone wants my first pair of Zamberlans, PM me. They are 9.5s.
You could probably send those zamberlans to @svivian. Sounds like he could get a good couple of years out of them!