I went to a 500 yard range yesterday ....

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider
Reading this makes me really wish we had a long range here. I hear talk of one maybe going in, so I am crossing my fingers, but it will take awhile. Sounds like a blast!

TaperPin

WKR
Reading this makes me really wish we had a long range here. I hear talk of one maybe going in, so I am crossing my fingers, but it will take awhile. Sounds like a blast!
What part of the country are you in?

GreyBeck

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve gotten hooked on long range. I never really considered 200+yards mainly due to where I hunt. But hunting in SA with PH who was a marksman changed me. 492 yards on a black wildebeest with a 308 right on the shoulder - with instruction on how to dial. Then a weekend long range class and pinging steel at 1000 yards - I’m still not 100% confident that I’m reading the mirage correctly. Sadly the longest ranges around me are 600yards but each over an hour away. I wish I could get out more in different wind conditions for practice

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
I’ve gotten hooked on long range. I never really considered 200+yards mainly due to where I hunt. But hunting in SA with PH who was a marksman changed me. 492 yards on a black wildebeest with a 308 right on the shoulder - with instruction on how to dial. Then a weekend long range class and pinging steel at 1000 yards - I’m still not 100% confident that I’m reading the mirage correctly. Sadly the longest ranges around me are 600yards but each over an hour away. I wish I could get out more in different wind conditions for practice
The nearest one to me is 500 yards and only opens once a month , always on a Tuesday . It's a hour drive for me .
The next opening is August 29th and I'm going to try and make it .
At $100 it's a deal , or worth it in my opinion .

TaperPin

WKR
Western MN
I was really curious how it could be that no long ranges exist, but now it makes sense. I see much of the state is divided into fairly small squares surrounded by roads. Are those 1/4 mile squares, or 1/8?

Just to see how evenly the state is divided is amazing.

I was really curious how it could be that no long ranges exist, but now it makes sense. I see much of the state is divided into fairly small squares surrounded by roads. Are those 1/4 mile squares, or 1/8?

Western MN is mostly half or quarter sections, half a mile on one side and either a mile or a half mile on the other. There are bigger pieces but not a ton.

The nearest one to me is 500 yards and only opens once a month , always on a Tuesday . It's a hour drive for me .
The next opening is August 29th and I'm going to try and make it .
At $100 it's a deal , or worth it in my opinion .
Geez. You might check out the Manatee Gun Club just outside of Sarasota. $27 per visit for a non-member. 600 yard range. It's open Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun of every week. You have to qualify at the 300 (ring the small gong 5x in a row) first with each rifle/scope combo you want to take to the 600, but once you qualify it's good for a couple of years for that rifle/scope.

OP
CRJR45

CRJR45

WKR
Geez. You might check out the Manatee Gun Club just outside of Sarasota. $27 per visit for a non-member. 600 yard range. It's open Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun of every week. You have to qualify at the 300 (ring the small gong 5x in a row) first with each rifle/scope combo you want to take to the 600, but once you qualify it's good for a couple of years for that rifle/scope.

Yeah but thats a three hour drive and my truck gets 10 MPG so it would just about be a wash for me . I wish it was closer , I'm on the east coast , Jensen Beach Area .

Winnie

Lil-Rokslider

Roads are typically every mile, maybe every 2 miles. We have plenty of room for a long range, we just don't have any close to me. The further north you go there are bigger chunks of roadless area.