Ice axe vs whippet vs trekking poles?

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Hello everyone,

I am interested in your thoughts on what is best for assisting on a goat hunt: ice axe, whippet, or just my plain trekking poles, specifically looking at Kodiak in the springtime if you have advice I would appreciate it.

Stubai telescoping Ice Axe is my favorite and I also have the Whippet. Problem with the Whippet is that it doesn't compress very small, making it hard to fit into luggage for travel.

as.ks.ak

WKR
Here’s my answer: Yes.

For a few years I used both a trekking pole and an ice axe. That was mostly because I would bring the trekking pole around to use as a pole for my Tarp, if I wanted to leave it up for the day and go hunt without it. Since then I quit bringing the trekking pole and solely use the ice axe everywhere. It’s uses are many and it’s rigidity is why I continue to select it over the trekking pole or my pair of whippets.

There’s 100 diff ways to skin this cat. At the end of the day it’s all preference. I like having one hand free, and have gotten extremely use to that kind of hiking. I like to be able to have my dslr in one hand and axe in the other sometimes. Or have a hand free for digging in when you’re in the pucker factor terrain. There’s a good thread on here about the ice axe and it’s many uses I’ll see if I can find it and post it here.

18c5d262cef9b252e41ddd5b3522ed78.jpg
0e712b8921b8017ad0c2ce34d60e486b.cr2
5efc4b232408d6a3376ca97aa03705ef.jpg
eae46c0bb4944d90507cabb67e8ef08b.jpg
f72402e7190b053d2cb41f08cdf3dfbd.png
f58bbf1e72c07ae0239e457408170fd2.jpg
65de35fdac36a02426e52e8dec2e9ad6.cr2
d66021a2df8702dbca1733391e033e35.jpeg
dc109919d1962f96d830fc66136a3f7f.jpg

Here, this should work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

as.ks.ak

WKR
Stubai telescoping Ice Axe is my favorite and I also have the Whippet. Problem with the Whippet is that it doesn't compress very small, making it hard to fit into luggage for travel.

The only thing that’d make those telescoping ones better is if they were snap locks instead of that twist BS. Have you had any issues with it slipping if you were to slip and need to put all your weight on the pole?

I haven't ever had an issue with it slipping, that Stubai is a beast of an axe. I've had and used the same one since 2014 and will continue to. Much like you, I kind of gravitated to just using one ice axe in lieu of two trekking poles. Seems to work really well for my use. Packout.jpg

I've always carried trekking poles for the obvious reasons along with using them for my shelter setup, then a couple years ago I started carrying a ice axe (same one that aa-smith uses in the photos above), and have found it to be a very useful tool as well. I was kind of hoping to ditch the trekking poles altogether but at the end of the day, I just can't seem to break the habit.
208922d06fddc283bbc3c113390c7623.jpg

b41a1dc4c1f94beef1169192fd1bbc4d.jpg

816610a35b51c8362f5ebaed489b8165.jpg

Last edited:
I've used all three options for goat hunts. Plus a combination at times. Like some of the others, I usually prefer to have one hand free, although most people do better with two.

This trip a few years ago I started off with two BD poles. Lost one in fall, but was luckily able to find the other or I would have been in tough shape.

IMG_3253.JPG

When I got back to base camp, I grabbed a Petzl telescoping axe and used the combination for the rest of the trip. The Petzl was ok, but would slip if you leaned on it hard enough. It also wasn't as comfortable in the hand as a real axe.

IMG_3280.JPG

I used the Petzl alone in the Chugach on another trip.

IMG_1418.JPG

The last hunt I used a Whippet. I think I like it the best so far. Sturdy and the hook is handy in the steep brush. The fact the it's only two sections is drawback for flying, and so I revert back to the lighter trekking pole for anything less than goat.

IMG_2379.JPG

I'm not any kind of an expert on goat hunting, so YMMV. I'd like try a true long ice axe at some point.

ozyclint

WKR
i have been using the carbon whippet. it has 3 sections and packs down to 25" which is plenty small enough for air travel. you guys have the 2 section model??

my only wish is that it had a full axe head with adze like a stubai or snowscopic.
however its far greater range of length adjustment more than accounts for this. for steep descents in uneven terrain and creek crossings where you need a long reach to get a 3rd point of contact the extra length is vital. the stubai and snowscopic would be too short for what i need from this type of tool.

yet on the tops on a steep slope it adjusts down to 25" and is a perfect length there too.IMG_7071.JPG

Same as YK, 2 piece, I haven't seen a 3 piece here in town where I bought mine several years ago.

The Black Diamond 3 Piece Whippet has been re designed. It is no longer carbon, but full aluminum. It is more durable due to this change. Also, the ice axe head is now removable!
Super easy to keep the head in your pack if it’s not needed and then thread it on when you get in steep, technical terrain. I highly recommend the new model whippet along with a regular trekking pole.

GotDraw?

WKR
Cool to learn the Whippet head is now removable!!
Thank you for the update!
JL

The Black Diamond 3 Piece Whippet has been re designed. It is no longer carbon, but full aluminum. It is more durable due to this change. Also, the ice axe head is now removable!
Super easy to keep the head in your pack if it’s not needed and then thread it on when you get in steep, technical terrain. I highly recommend the new model whippet along with a regular trekking pole.

Jimss

WKR
I would definitely use something on steep, slippery slopes with a load! I've sheep and mtn goat hunted here in Colo many times where trekking poles used alone were a life-saver. If you are using trekking poles correctly you can strap yourself in and really torque on them...especially with hefty loads. They probably are lighter and easier on your shoulders than trekking along with heftier impliments for several days? I've also used trekking poles on Alaska sheep and goat hunts in country where ice, snow, and glaciers aren't an issue...not sure I would want the additional bulk and weight of the others mentioned with that scenario.

I can see the obvious advantage of others listed on ice, snow, and glaciers. The only disadvantage is you have to carry the additional weight/bulk. A lot likely depends on the country and how much snow and ice you'll be on?

Another scenario I don't think anyone mentioned is clamp-on type deals that fit on the bottom of your boots? The combo of clamp-ons plus trekking poles may be enough? They may be less bulky, lighter weight, and you could take them off when you really don't need them.

Low_Sky

Lil-Rokslider
Another scenario I don't think anyone mentioned is clamp-on type deals that fit on the bottom of your boots? The combo of clamp-ons plus trekking poles may be enough? They may be less bulky, lighter weight, and you could take them off when you really don't need them.
Crampons?

Jimss

WKR
The ones I bought have rubber around the outside with wound up wire on the tread. They are likely a bit lighter weight than crampons.

WTFJohn

WKR
The ones I bought have rubber around the outside with wound up wire on the tread. They are likely a bit lighter weight than crampons.

The wound cable traction aids are called yaktrax (or similar). They are fantastic for walking the dog on icy sidewalks, not for loading up weight and packing with as they are easy & prone to breaking. You'd want to step up to a set of microspikes for that (pictured below). Next step up is the type of crampons pictured, followed by step-in crampons.

@AK Troutbum what ice axe is that? I haven't been able to find one longer than the 90cm BD that I have currently, but would be very interested in a 100-110 cm as it looks like you've got?

epxQbR97TMeHYqqwYWTHWg.jpg

The wound cable traction aids are called yaktrax (or similar). They are fantastic for walking the dog on icy sidewalks, not for loading up weight and packing with as they are easy & prone to breaking. You'd want to step up to a set of microspikes for that (pictured below). Next step up is the type of crampons pictured, followed by step-in crampons.

@AK Troutbum what ice axe is that? I haven't been able to find one longer than the 90cm BD that I have currently, but would be very interested in a 100-110 cm as it looks like you've got?

View attachment 158094
Mine is a SMC Capra at 100cm. SMC doesn't make the Capra anymore but now make a redesigned one that is still 100cm long. I don't think anyone makes a 110cm axe, but I'm not sure.

OP
Mtncowboy

Mtncowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a brand or recommendation on micro spikes?