Ice Shelters for Solo Truck Camping

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
I’m not much for ice fishing; some of these look like they’d make a good mobile truck camp. Easy to set up, insulated, tall enough to stand up... Any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Look on YouTube. Lots of people remove the vent covers, put in stove jacks, and use them as shelters. No reason they won't work.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Decker9

WKR
We used ours as a base camp for goat hunting last winter. It was certainly nicer then a small tent, adding a wood stove would be a great setup. We use a big buddy heater, off and on as we got chilled at night, but the condensation was quite bad. This year was pretty, off. But we will be using the ice tent for future hunts as well.

I would question the water proofness of the one I have, a good tarp over top would be a must I would think if a good rain storm ever passed.

Superdoo

WKR
I have been think of doing this too. Seems like a great way to go for cold weather. When you compare the prices to tents they are actually really affordable too!

Funny you should bring this up. I was going to post this up. I bought the new model where the insulation isn't stitched through so waterproofness should be good. Maybe will seam seal now that I used it and determined this is the ticket. I don't see using my Kodiak in cold weather anymore. I made a vented propane stove and ran out existing vent. Just trimmed out the screen. Got down to about 20 on this hunt. Worked very well. IMG_4072.jpgIMG_4073.jpg

X2 for the insulated ice hubs with a wood stove. Spent some time watching winter camping vids on the Youtube, always wanted to try it. Waiting to get the opportunity before I start cutting holes in my ice shack though.

OP
C

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Funny you should bring this up. I was going to post this up. I bought the new model where the insulation isn't stitched through so waterproofness should be good. Maybe will seam seal now that I used it and determined this is the ticket. I don't see using my Kodiak in cold weather anymore. I made a vented propane stove and ran out existing vent. Just trimmed out the screen. Got down to about 20 on this hunt. Worked very well. View attachment 242279View attachment 242280
What model Otter is that?

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I like the vented heater go4. Infinity better than a Buddy heater and the condensation that comes with it.

I like the vented heater go4. Infinity better than a Buddy heater and the condensation that comes with it.
Yes and if you look closely the green line is a fresh air intake so minimal loss inside shelter. Also did this on my wood stove. Have wondered why not the norm. Saves a lot of fuel not exchanging all that air just like in your home.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yes and if you look closely the green line is a fresh air intake so minimal loss inside shelter. Also did this on my wood stove. Have wondered why not the norm. Saves a lot of fuel not exchanging all that air just like in your home.
What do you have around your pipe where it exits through where the vent was?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
Go4- You’re onto something, especially if that little bottle of gas lasts all night. What make and model is that propane heater?

Go4- You’re onto something, especially if that little bottle of gas lasts all night. What make and model is that propane heater?
McGuyver Inc......I had a stainless open top box my nephew gave me from the deli. Drilled a hole and trimmed an old sunflower heater and slipped inside. Added a top and riveted on some legs. The heat sink was an ebay item added later for more thermal mass. The silicone inlet is a turbo elbow from ebay $8. The green 1 lb was an experiment for this trip to see how long it lasts. usually use a 10 or 20 lb outside and run hose under shelter. Lots of ways to skin this cat but very happen with how it turned out using mostly items I had already.
There goes my $1M patent right out the window!!
IMG_1598.jpgIMG_1599.jpg

Was planning on getting one of these and setting up with a Nu-Way vented stove before finding a 10x10 cabelas tent with stove jack in CL for the same price ~$300.

As mentioned a handful of YouTube videos of others doing it. Believe the insulated models should help absorb condensation, but no experience.

The makers of Eskimo market an uninsulated version with a rain fly as a 3 season tent to address the concerns of rain.

ToolMann

WKR
Very cool. I had to chuckle that the insulated tent is only $300 but a super thin Dyneema for tipi style tents is so expensive. I really like this ice house idea though. That heater would be good for ice fishing too.

Very cool. I had to chuckle that the insulated tent is only $300 but a super thin Dyneema for tipi style tents is so expensive. I really like this ice house idea though. That heater would be good for ice fishing too.
Yes, and look at the other winter tents like the Arctic Oven which can be $2K+. These are a steal.

We use a large Cabelas hub style ice fishing shelter for our base camp and can comfortably sleep 3-4.

We set it on a tarp and then roll the sides of the tarp in the snow flap to keep moisture, bugs and dirt out. Make sure to roll it under, not over or moisture running down the side will run into the tent. Then we lay another tarp over the top and secure it with bungee cords. The material of an insulated tent is nearly waterproof, but the seams are not. We have slept comfortably through some nasty weather using 2 tarps as described.

As long as you get an insulated version, you will not have any condensation. If you are supposed to get a foot of heavy snow, cut a few poles for the center of the hubs to keep the roof up.

We heat ours with a 20lb propane tank and sunflower heater. Shut it off to sleep.

The provided cords will keep the tent secure in any storm. Just tie to brush, rocks, trees, coolers, etc.