Idaho Archery Elk: According to most threads, all Elk Zones are overrun with hunters

Hey all,
I live south of CDA, ID. My friend from Ohio just informed me that he will be taking a trip out to Idaho next year to chase OTC archery elk with me. He is interested in a backcountry hunt, like most people these days. I would really like to bring him on a great mountain adventure and hopefully get into some Elk.
It seems to me, most of the elk zones that have some good backcountry also come with the warning of "TOO MANY PEOPLE". How true is this? Is this something I should try to ignore? I consider myself a creative/resourceful hunter, can I adapt around these "ZOO's OF HUNTERS"?
It is frustrating trying to research and keep an open mind when almost every unit your read about has "gone to trash".
Anyways, I have some zones in mind but keep getting discouraged. Any ideas, advice or encouragement welcome!

def90

WKR
People say the same thing about Colorado. So far I have been out 4 days and run into 4 other hunters, 1 was on opening day and the other two were on a Friday evening and 1 on a Saturday afternoon, one other day I did not see anyone else. Based on my experience last year when I hunted mid week I rarely saw anyone else, when I hunted on the weekend the experience was quite a bit different with one Saturday being during Muzzleloader season (muzzleloader overlaps archery here in CO) being so busy I just went home at 10am.

Gerbdog

WKR
Hard to say... there are more hunters in the woods as elk hunting seems to have become ever more popular... but the statistics don't lie or change too much year to year, your looking at a pretty low % chance of success for archery. The elk are out there, some (10%) find and kill them, another large amount (90%) of hunters don't find and kill them.... In my experience, I grew up in NM and learned to hunt there.... was pretty easy to get away from people and not see another hunter in a week of hunting.... the elk were where the elk were, sometimes I could see a major highway from the mountainside i was hunting. Here in CO i see basically the same lessons: that 90% consists of folks who are likely leaving their truck to walk 100 yards up the hill and bugle, when they get nothing back they get back into their truck and repeat. Do some of them find success? You betcha. I know plenty of successful truck hunters with bulls ill only ever dream of having on a wall. Some folks are just lucky like that. When you hike back in for your backcountry hunt the hunters are gonna be quite a bit more dedicated to the task, but your still gonna have folks who decide to sleep in late and take a day off, that's 1 day out of their 5 day backpacking trip that isn't being used. I'm guilty of this too, elk hunting is hard. The people who find success in elk hunting are those that get out there, hunt hard day after day, year after year. The elk are out there, its up to you how hard you are willing to work to find and hunt them, even in pressured units. I wouldn't get discouraged, if you get a mile- 2 miles away from the beaten path your probably gonna have the woods to yourself. As you'll see on these forums ... that doesn't necessarily have to be 8 miles deep either.

You live in ID.... just go out hiking. Put on some Orange this year, go for a hike into the woods. Heck, bring a bugle and see what happens. You have a huge advantage living in the state you want to hunt, take advantage of it. Elk are there year round, the hunters leave after a few months, go find the elk and learn.

Last edited:

Rob5589

WKR
If you're in CDA, you'll have better intel than most, or at least should have. Get out there right now and see what it's like. Good luck!

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Always funny when I hear about overcrowding🥳 yes roads and certain accessible places can be crowded get off the beaten path and do some brush busting and no worries you can get isolated...I’ve been driving the river road noted for 40 years since 1980 and yes lots of tourists hunters but not much for hardcore guys rest assured the 80s when I was the young guy there were many many large hunting camps with a lot more hardcore seasoned and Wiley wood veterans with felt hats than there are now...work hard see camp at dark only and you can Get plenty of opportunity....circa 1980 photo opening day🥳 The same young guys now very old a couple years backF087BB5F-3AD6-43A1-9AC3-71B3B4E5F43C.jpeg4DA9B2E2-E86E-4E50-A335-DDAD8655E15D.jpeg

Last edited:

Gerbdog

WKR
Always funny when I hear about overcrowding🥳 yes roads and certain accessible places can be crowded get off the beaten path and do some brush busting and no worries you can get isolated...I’ve been driving the river road noted for 40 years since 1980 and yes lots of tourists hunters but not much for hardcore guys rest assured the 80s when I was the young guy there were many many large hunting camps with a lot more hardcore seasoned and Wiley wood veterans with felt hats than there are now...work hard see camp at dark only and you can Get plenty of opportunity....circa 1980 photo opening day🥳 The same young guys now very old a couple years backView attachment 215810View attachment 215811
When did the felt hats go away, I feel they're due for a comeback. Awesome photos and thanks for sharing!

pirogue

WKR
If you're in CDA, you'll have better intel than most, or at least should have. Get out there right now and see what it's like. Good luck!
My thoughts, exactly. You live there, yet you’re asking the whole country?

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Its pretty easy to find elk, especially during archery season. Even when your surrounded by people doing what they call "hunting". Find sign, find the elk. Figure out where the pressure from guys road hunting are going to push the elk to.

Its just an ever evolving struggle. If your smart about it, (not the "we hiked in 16 miles because we are badasses") you can find elk very close to spots you can drive to.

Huntnnw

WKR
You need to find areas that you wanna take him to this month. Pretty easy to go drive around and see pressure. I was in a unit not far from you on the opener and I saw 1 rig elk hunting in 22 miles of dirt road.

GPool1842

WKR
Don’t buy into that blanket statement, man. Do your research, pull a plan together, and you will be fine. Lots of great advice and comments in this thread.

I’ve hunted Colorado the past three years, which is commonly said to have the most elk hunters.

First year I drew an easy tag and didn’t see another hunter until I was hiking out, and I was hunting archery during muzzleloader season. Hell, I didn’t talk to another human for 9 days on that trip, was solo.

Second year, hunted a different unit which was OTC during the opening week and ran into a few trucks along a logging road. Camps were setup every so often up the road. Everyone we talked to was really cool, telling stories of elk killed in there years past, showing pictures, etc. Once we hiked away from the tent, we never saw another hunter in the woods the entire 8 days. I ran back out to another OTC unit the last weekend to try to make it happen and didn’t see another hunter for the 3 days I was there.

This third year, went back to the unit I ran to at the end of last season for this year‘s opener, but went to a different area and never saw another hunter until we got back to the trailhead after 8 days.

I had never been on a western hunt before that first one and never been to any of these units before I showed up to hunt. If you do your homework, you will have fun.

Get out and enjoy it!!

jjdub

FNG
Always funny when I hear about overcrowding🥳 yes roads and certain accessible places can be crowded get off the beaten path and do some brush busting and no worries you can get isolated...I’ve been driving the river road noted for 40 years since 1980 and yes lots of tourists hunters but not much for hardcore guys rest assured the 80s when I was the young guy there were many many large hunting camps with a lot more hardcore seasoned and Wiley wood veterans with felt hats than there are now...work hard see camp at dark only and you can Get plenty of opportunity....circa 1980 photo opening day🥳 The same young guys now very old a couple years backView attachment 215810View attachment 215811
sweet pics, that fist pump is epic

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Those browning BARS have seen many heated up days since they bought them in the 70s🤙 I was the outcast with a Remington and later tikka 🤩

Remember that Idaho’s non-resident tags have been capped at a certain number for years and years, and that cap is going down next year.

That being said, I’ve noticed a larger-than-normal hunter population at my usual spot here in the panhandle this year. Mostly residents lol! I try to remind myself that I have killed elk around throngs of other hunters before, and I can do it again.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
We’ve been hunting since the 8th. Took last weekend off. Been helping a buddy up there on his first ever elk hunt. Yes it’s crowded. 11 hunters spiked into the drainage we are in. It’s crazy. Still getting into them though. Been at full draw 3 or 4 times. Missed one cow. Last week was definitely better with fewer people. Man, some people camp in dumb spots....like elk destinations! Regardless he is getting the FULL experience from up close screaming to tough hot dead afternoons.

Definitely more of us non-residents up there than residents. Sure is nice to run into nice NR’s from your home state. Lined up some extra help if needed.

He is still at it. I had to come home and work unfortunately. Will break and head up to help pack one out if needed.

Tyler moore

FNG
Classified Approved
Hey all,
I live south of CDA, ID. My friend from Ohio just informed me that he will be taking a trip out to Idaho next year to chase OTC archery elk with me. He is interested in a backcountry hunt, like most people these days. I would really like to bring him on a great mountain adventure and hopefully get into some Elk.
It seems to me, most of the elk zones that have some good backcountry also come with the warning of "TOO MANY PEOPLE". How true is this? Is this something I should try to ignore? I consider myself a creative/resourceful hunter, can I adapt around these "ZOO's OF HUNTERS"?
It is frustrating trying to research and keep an open mind when almost every unit your read about has "gone to trash".
Anyways, I have some zones in mind but keep getting discouraged. Any ideas, advice or encouragement welcome!
I changed archery elk zones last season to get away from people. Last year was awesome in this new are where I had never hunted. I hunted about 8 days and only ran into one other hunter. I saw elk everyday and had a lot of really good opportunities. This year, same area, totally different experience. I saw people everyday. I had a hard time getting elk to vocalize. Between opener and the 29th of September I had 1/3 of the elk action and 10 times the people encounters. I don’t k ow why things changed so drastically. Covid? Or is hunting becoming more popular? Not trying to boo hoo on here. It’s public land and that’s the struggle. I don’t have any solid ideas on why this happened but EVERY hunter I know has had similar experiences this season. Good luck with your friend in the upcoming season.
We’ve been hunting since the 8th. Took last weekend off. Been helping a buddy up there on his first ever elk hunt. Yes it’s crowded. 11 hunters spiked into the drainage we are in. It’s crazy. Still getting into them though. Been at full draw 3 or 4 times. Missed one cow. Last week was definitely better with fewer people. Man, some people camp in dumb spots....like elk destinations! Regardless he is getting the FULL experience from up close screaming to tough hot dead afternoons.

Definitely more of us non-residents up there than residents. Sure is nice to run into nice NR’s from your home state. Lined up some extra help if needed.

He is still at it. I had to come home and work unfortunately. Will break and head up to help pack one out if needed.