Idaho draw

Fullfan

WKR
Cost is no issue, three of us flew from Pa to Idaho. Waited in for 46 hours. Result was the elk tags we were after.

Fullfan

WKR
There were two outfitters in line also. One got 25 tags, the other 11. One of the outfitters has 2 of his guys at other locations to get tags also

IdahoBeav

WKR
Cost is no issue, three of us flew from Pa to Idaho. Waited in for 46 hours. Result was the elk tags we were after.
46 hours seems crazy. I was at the store for 1.5 hours total, and I bought for multiple people.

bigbuckdj

WKR
I have no issue with what people do within this stupid system. Rubbing is racing.

It’s on Idaho to make the process more straight forward and they never will as long as a check is cleared for every tag they offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived in Idaho as a kid in the 80s, then did another 8 years there through the mid to late 2000s. One of the IDFG commissioners at that time was a longtime family friend. At that time, IDFG was in the red big time. Revenue was over 2/3s from fishing licenses and less than 1/3 from hunting. Tag sales had plummeted. His biggest concern was trying to fund aerial wolf control for a few of the hardest hit zones. In my opinion and experience, very little has changed as far as elk numbers since then. Then something happened during The Corona where people went absolutely f-cking insane, but at the same time, money evidently began growing on trees. I haven’t found one of those trees yet, but it definitely happened. Point is, Idaho needed to sell X number of licenses to make Y dollars to get into the black. They weren’t then, they sure are now. Idaho wants/needs to sell all their licenses. They don’t care to who, if it’s fair, a pain in the ass, etc. Someone else said it earlier, a non res fee increase is almost certain. Why the hell wouldn’t they? If there are 40K + people trying to get a decent general tag, but they will settle for the worst tag… demand and the willingness to spend is high. I doubt Idaho will change anything based on non res consumer feedback.

Now over the next couple weeks, Rockslide will be riddled with FNGs posting their first post… “Hi, I’m a fish outta water from some random f-cking state and I’m going out west on my first hunt. I waited in line for potentially one of the worst success rate units in the country. What layering system should I buy and where can I find a 300+ inch bull…”

I am glad that my wife, both boys and I are lifetime license holders. And seriously, for the non residents that got through the BS process… good luck in 24.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Hi, I’m a fish outta water from one of the fifty states and I’m heading east to Idaho on my first hunt. I waited in line for THE worst success rate unit in the country. What rifle should I take my 6.5 PRC or 6.5 Creedmoor, oh and I’m not looking for a honey hole but where are the 330” bulls? Is there an area that holds more of them in the Unit? Oh by the way it’s Unit Lemhi

Trencher

FNG
It gets rough quick around here, starting with the disrespectful fng title not really necessary. It’s very hard these days to ever go back to a spot you know just can’t get that tag you use to be guaranteed, then you knew the area life was good. Enter the modern day, heck nobody knows where they will draw and that leads up to this “chat” show. I don’t have the answers but hunting new ground every year is challenging to say the least. I’ve been doing this since the 80’s and it just keeps getting harder. Does anyone else remember Idaho elk hunting from about 86 thru late 90’s go anywhere otc tag, I was always chasing giant bulls calling worked great. I remember people asking what is that tube around your neck for lol, the good times. How the hell did it all come to this I ask myself, I have twin 18 year olds that have elk hunted with me since they were 8 we go to New places in different states each year tag dependent, they think that’s normal. Were all a product of this new game of cat and mouse let’s just try to make the best of it I guess.

Wrench

WKR
If FNG is offensive, and it's known that will be your title before you join.....you're probably not salty enough for the crowd here and will want to change this to where you came from.

One can always ask Ryan if he can change your FNG to something less offensive.

I can't wait to see what that would be.

#1,013. By the time my number was up, 5 of the 6 on my list were gone. Smoky-Bennett A, here I come. I have to get my rucking legs ready!

#1,013. By the time my number was up, 5 of the 6 on my list were gone. Smoky-Bennett A, here I come. I have to get my rucking legs ready!
Great name by the way…

You could have done a lot worse on the tag. Beautiful area. I know the adjacent unit very well, but have only sniffed around the edges of the units you’ll be working in.
IMG_2324.jpegIMG_2276.jpeg

It gets rough quick around here, starting with the disrespectful fng title not really necessary. It’s very hard these days to ever go back to a spot you know just can’t get that tag you use to be guaranteed, then you knew the area life was good. Enter the modern day, heck nobody knows where they will draw and that leads up to this “chat” show. I don’t have the answers but hunting new ground every year is challenging to say the least. I’ve been doing this since the 80’s and it just keeps getting harder. Does anyone else remember Idaho elk hunting from about 86 thru late 90’s go anywhere otc tag, I was always chasing giant bulls calling worked great. I remember people asking what is that tube around your neck for lol, the good times. How the hell did it all come to this I ask myself, I have twin 18 year olds that have elk hunted with me since they were 8 we go to New places in different states each year tag dependent, they think that’s normal. We’re all a product of this new game of cat and mouse let’s just try to make the best of it I guess.
Man, those were the days! Panhandle, regular and mountain tags. The vendor had to check one of the three on your physical tag. Many times that box didn’t get checked.

Trencher

FNG
Wrench in guessing your the know it all at the trailhead with the flat brim hat talking about all 300 inch bulls you let walk in 3 different states last fall. I do hope they make adjustments to the system in the future each customer logs in under there account and there ya go.

elkocd

Lil-Rokslider
you are absolutely correct - the first hour or so it wasn't even close to correlated

You had no chance at getting a good tag online unless you had a number under the first group they let in. Probably less than 100. Without mentioning zone names, the one I got for my son and I was sold out in less than 15 mins and there are a lot of tags. As of this year it is pointless to try and buy a tag online unless they make changes.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
I am an Idaho resident. My three non-rez hunting partners got kicked out of the IDFG website system when their numbers came up. Our Elk zone has since sold out. Their numbers were as low as 8,000 up to 21,000.
They called IDFG and were 1700 in line to talk to an agent. Now IDFG is telling them to leave a number and IDFG will call them back. The IDFG system is having serious issues like last year or there are so many non-rez travelling to Idaho to buy tags over the counter.
Yup. I got kicked out when my number came up. I was 8842. Buddy got in a half hour later and got the tag we planned was still there. I had relogged in immediately after getting the boot and was 74k+ Bad part is they are just going to say “sorry, that sucks”

Flyjunky

WKR
I lived in Idaho as a kid in the 80s, then did another 8 years there through the mid to late 2000s. One of the IDFG commissioners at that time was a longtime family friend. At that time, IDFG was in the red big time. Revenue was over 2/3s from fishing licenses and less than 1/3 from hunting. Tag sales had plummeted. His biggest concern was trying to fund aerial wolf control for a few of the hardest hit zones. In my opinion and experience, very little has changed as far as elk numbers since then. Then something happened during The Corona where people went absolutely f-cking insane, but at the same time, money evidently began growing on trees. I haven’t found one of those trees yet, but it definitely happened. Point is, Idaho needed to sell X number of licenses to make Y dollars to get into the black. They weren’t then, they sure are now. Idaho wants/needs to sell all their licenses. They don’t care to who, if it’s fair, a pain in the ass, etc. Someone else said it earlier, a non res fee increase is almost certain. Why the hell wouldn’t they? If there are 40K + people trying to get a decent general tag, but they will settle for the worst tag… demand and the willingness to spend is high. I doubt Idaho will change anything based on non res consumer feedback.

Now over the next couple weeks, Rockslide will be riddled with FNGs posting their first post… “Hi, I’m a fish outta water from some random f-cking state and I’m going out west on my first hunt. I waited in line for potentially one of the worst success rate units in the country. What layering system should I buy and where can I find a 300+ inch bull…”

I am glad that my wife, both boys and I are lifetime license holders. And seriously, for the non residents that got through the BS process… good luck in 24.
If Idaho really wanted to make money they would do a straight random draw. More people would apply than they do now because some people can't take off work to sit on a computer or travel to Idaho to sit in line for a day or two. Once the system is in place it would be a lot less of a headache of IDFG as well instead of dealing with the sh*tshow it is now. I'm sure all the vendors would appreciate that as well.

That last pic you posted just looks elky! Beautiful shot.

Last edited: