Family trip to the Oregon coast, Suggestions?

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
a few folks may need to look at a map... he is coming to Tillamook and they are suggesting something a 3 hour drive away! Knowing what the coast highway is like, i would not go south of Lincoln City or at most Depoe Bay. Razor Clamming closes at random times for toxin levels so you would need to call and ask. and yes, there are Razor Clamming opportunities around Tillamook or at least not very far away

OP
Gobbler36

Gobbler36

WKR
a few folks may need to look at a map... he is coming to Tillamook and they are suggesting something a 3 hour drive away! Knowing what the coast highway is like, i would not go south of Lincoln City or at most Depoe Bay. Razor Clamming closes at random times for toxin levels so you would need to call and ask. and yes, there are Razor Clamming opportunities around Tillamook or at least not very far away
Sweet thanks, so why not south ?
I guess technically my Vrbo is on Netarts bay. Saw a couple of boat rental places but I was thinking I’d love to get my kids bottom fishing and they would love digging clams and crabbing .

And with my limited experience in these endeavors guided or semi guided trip would probably yield more smiles

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the responses, keep ‘em coming there are several on here we hadn’t read about.
Are razor clams goid this time of year?

pm sent
Razor's are really dependent on minus tides, otherwise it's tough. There is reputed to be a beach out of Tillamook with razor's but not as prolific further north towards Clatsop. I think Nehalem, Tillamook, and Neatarts have other clams to dig. They may be less dependent on the large minus tides, but you should check.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
I guess technically my Vrbo is on Netarts bay. Saw a couple of boat rental places but I was thinking I’d love to get my kids bottom fishing and they would love digging clams and crabbing .

And with my limited experience in these endeavors guided or semi guided trip would probably yield more smiles
You can cast for crab in netarts towards the bar. Kids love that. Chicken works well as bait.

Why not south? There are many great options up and down the coast, but you can spend a lot of time in your car getting to them. I think you just need to maximize your fun in the area you are in unless you prefer driving. You can always go back and check out other parts of the coast. Most people do.

The bottom fishing is a lot of action/fun

Seemed like a bargain when I went out of depot bay last may.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member

He’s got a point unless you have a real specific destination going much further south. When we did it a couple years ago, we drove from Washington south as far as Newport. We really regret spending two days in Newport, nothing there that we couldn’t have found in Lincoln city and north. The town was kind of a dump and the one aquarium there was pretty lackluster.

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
You can cast for crab in netarts towards the bar. Kids love that. Chicken works well as bait.

Why not south? There are many great options up and down the coast, but you can spend a lot of time in your car getting to them. I think you just need to maximize your fun in the area you are in unless you prefer driving. You can always go back and check out other parts of the coast. Most people do.
Nothing against South but if you are based in Tillamook, some of the suggestions have you making a 3 hour one way trip to see something. Not sure what dates you are coming but google the Tide Charts. as mentioned, a minus Tide is needed for clamming. There are a lot of other species of Clams that are fun to go for whether Razor's are open or not. With young boys, digging Clams is a Definite in my book. Even if you only get a few, having a young kid poke its fingers in a Gaper show is priceless. You can have fun at a zero or small minus, you just might not get a full limit. Google Clamming Tillamook ODFW and you should pick up some maps for the common areas. *** Watch the TIDES. Don't get stuck out on a sandbar with Tide rolling in

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
PS you most definitely dont need a guide to go Clamming. How soon are you coming? If i get a free minute, I'll shoot you a PM with some tips

Another hike I like to do is Cascade Head. It’s a pretty steep trail, and I believe 2.5-3 miles to top. The views to the south and the west at different parts of the hike are pretty incredible.

It is probably around 45 minutes south of where you plan to stay.

IMG_6262.jpegIMG_6263.jpeg

ManBun

FNG
if want to go fishing, hit up a guide out of Pacific City and do a dory trip for some bottom fish. You never had a ride like launching out through the surf!
While your fishing have the family run/climb the sand dune, then meet up at the Pelican for lunch/dinner when you get back from fishing.

Dirtscoots

Lil-Rokslider
Unless you’re stuck on razor clams there are bay clams in Tillamook and netarts that don’t dig away from you. Steamers in netarts are excellent and extremely easy to get. Pm me if you want any details lived here my whole life be happy to help.

Extrapale

WKR
I'd check out Astoria. See the Column, maritime museum. Great beer in Astoria if you are into that. Drive the bridge. You can drive to the shipwreck on Sunset Beach. Tour Fort Steven's.

Good crabbing in Netarts. Butter clams
in Tillamook Bay. Charters out of Garibaldi. Book a trip with a Dory Fleet guide out of Pacific City.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Legend

WKR
Hey all
I am taking my family over to Netarts Bay/ Tillamook area, i have 3 boys ages 10,8,7. We are hoping to do some crabbing and clamming, maybe some fishing, and taking in some cool sights and activities. Do any of you have any suggestions on different things to do or places to see. We have a few things picked out but wondering if anyone form around that area has the inside scoop on the place?
Florence sand dunes are awesome for the family. Get a tour with one of the big dune buggies.

repins05

WKR
If you head to Astoria then you have plenty of options for razor clams. Have some really good tides coming up (early though). You can drive the beach as well from sunset to Peter. Check out fort stevens, Peter Iredale, seaside turnaround and do the tourist thing (kids love it). High life adventure park in seaside is fun and zip line in Astoria. Helicopter ride seaside as well.

travispe

FNG
If you head to Astoria stop by Jewell meadows and see the elk. Might still be able to find them in Gearhart chilling in the neighborhood too.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk