Idaho elk draw system

Colby3

FNG
Has Idaho made any changes to their draw system to handle the amount of hunters applying this year? It's been such a mess since they went to the waiting room.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Why would they? The non residents keep coming back in droves. Idaho needs to get their head out of their ass and make the whole state draw for everyone including residents. 3000 people in the same unit hunting bull elk in a 2 week period is crazy. Then add predation on top of that.

87TT

WKR
No. And leave it the hell alone. If the whole state was a draw, then you might never get to hunt again. NR don't seem to be slowing down applying. I've been putting in for drawings and haven't drawn in eight years..

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Idaho needs to get their head out of their ass and make the whole state draw for everyone including residents.
no-please.gif

Sounds like you just need to find a new elk spot.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
Has Idaho made any changes to their draw system to handle the amount of hunters applying this year? It's been such a mess since they went to the waiting room.
Nope it will still be the same people hunting the same best units since 2020 just like the commission and Brandt licensing want it.

Beendare

WKR
Why would they? The non residents keep coming back in droves. Idaho needs to get their head out of their ass and make the whole state draw for everyone including residents. 3000 people in the same unit hunting bull elk in a 2 week period is crazy. Then add predation on top of that.
Oh cmon, thats an exaggeration....I was in 76 and only counted 2,876 archery hunters.....
grin

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know a lot about the southern Idaho units but the panhandle is a zoo. All the potential to have healthy herds and mature bulls but if you check Idfg and the statistics, almost every panhandle unit has between 1 and 3 thousand elk hunters in them. Why not change to a draw and give out 500 tags for each unit and to offset the monetary loss from reducing tags by making residents pay $100 dollars for elk tags.

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
To see a healthier more mature herd of elk? Yes. And I’m not complaining along the lines of “ there’s no elk here!” I’m just saying I would rather hunt every few years and see a better age class of bulls. I fully understand some people get it done on mature bulls almost every year. After hunting Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona and seeing better age classes I wonder why we could not do the same thing with way more elk.

gphil

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be interesting if idaho tried a 5pt or better bull only, let the younger bulls get a little smarter

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
C

Colby3

FNG
I should have been more specific on my question. I was wondering if they upgraded their system to handle the number of hunters so it doesn't crash like every year before.

ez_willie

Lil-Rokslider
I should have been more specific on my question. I was wondering if they upgraded their system to handle the number of hunters so it doesn't crash like every year before.
No. But I would call them just to make sure. It will be 60k people all on 10 plus devises wondering why the system can’t keep up.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the overcrowding issue in certain units is the nonresidents fault. By statute, Idaho authorizes 16k(ish) elk tags to non residents. If someone is seeing 3k hunters in the Diamond Creek zone, 2500 of them were residents.

That said, I think Idaho should go to a draw for all non-resident elk and deer tags.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the overcrowding issue in certain units is the nonresidents fault. By statute, Idaho authorizes 16k(ish) elk tags to non residents. If someone is seeing 3k hunters in the Diamond Creek zone, 2500 of them were residents.

That said, I think Idaho should go to a draw for all non-resident elk and deer tags.

You’re correct but It’s hunter days in the field in 2023 that’s an issue. NR are spending 10x the amount of days in the field nowadays because of vacation time/work from home/work life balance is better than it’s ever been. Just my .02

fatlander

WKR
You’re correct but It’s hunter days in the field in 2023 that’s an issue. NR are spending 10x the amount of days in the field nowadays because of vacation time/work from home/work life balance is better than it’s ever been. Just my .02

10x? Come on now. . . .

How many non residents were buying an out of state tag to not hunt at least a week?

And how many of those that were hunting a week are now hunting 10 weeks?

If anyone is getting 10 weeks to hunt with a W-2 job and managing to stay married, please reach out and tell me your secrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
10x? Come on now. . . .

How many non residents were buying an out of state tag to not hunt at least a week?

And how many of those that were hunting a week are now hunting 10 weeks?

If anyone is getting 10 weeks to hunt with a W-2 job and managing to stay married, please reach out and tell me your secrets.

7 straight weeks in the field

Just one example, I've read and seen many more. Including myself. There was a survey somewhere recently that reflected this topic but I cant find it now, sorry.

Do you think hunter days in the field is flat or decreasing in the last 20 years?

I'm not talking about your standard blue collar W-2 job buddy, we are in a new era. Lots of people have unlimited vaction (yes thats a real thing) and a lot of adult onset hunters fit this bill.

The10%

Lil-Rokslider
To see a healthier more mature herd of elk? Yes. And I’m not complaining along the lines of “ there’s no elk here!” I’m just saying I would rather hunt every few years and see a better age class of bulls. I fully understand some people get it done on mature bulls almost every year. After hunting Nevada, New Mexico, and Arizona and seeing better age classes I wonder why we could not do the same thing with way more elk.
Its ok for some states to be trophy and some to be opportunity... Most NR wont get to hunt premium elk tags in the 3 states you listed in their lifetime the way things are going

fatlander

WKR

7 straight weeks in the field

Just one example, I've read and seen many more. Including myself. There was a survey somewhere recently that reflected this topic but I cant find it now, sorry.

Do you think hunter days in the field is flat or decreasing in the last 20 years?

I'm not talking about your standard blue collar W-2 job buddy, we are in a new era. Lots of people have unlimited vaction (yes thats a real thing) and a lot of adult onset hunters fit this bill.

But only NR have 10x the time to use in your state? They’re not using it any other state, or their own state?

How many guys from Idaho are traveling to the east coast or Midwest to hunt whitetails for 10 weeks instead of hunting them at home?

I’m not saying you’re wrong that people are spending more time on average in the field. But everyone is spending more time on average in the field. You’ve got 20x, and steadily growing, the number of residents hunting than non residents, but non residents steadily get blamed for the issues. All the while paying the lions share of the bill to keep agencies in the west running.

I’m not saying residents don’t deserve more tags, more opportunity, and a lesser cost. But steadily crapping on the people that keeps the lights on isn’t sustainable.

Pacific_Fork

Well Known Rokslider
But only NR have 10x the time to use in your state? They’re not using it any other state, or their own state?

How many guys from Idaho are traveling to the east coast or Midwest to hunt whitetails for 10 weeks instead of hunting them at home?

I’m not saying you’re wrong that people are spending more time on average in the field. But everyone is spending more time on average in the field. You’ve got 20x, and steadily growing, the number of residents hunting than non residents, but non residents steadily get blamed for the issues. All the while paying the lions share of the bill to keep agencies in the west running.

I’m not saying residents don’t deserve more tags, more opportunity, and a lesser cost. But steadily crapping on the people that keeps the lights on isn’t sustainable.

I literally never said any of that, or anything against what you just said. We seem to be in agreement.

I said "NR are spending 10x the amount of days in the field nowadays" - this is not unique to Idaho, its every western state. Its an issue becuase of pressure. Colorado did some studies, elk calving rates are decling due to human pressure. This also reflection hunter satisfaction that is in decline. I'm not concered with the midwest pay to play model.

I hunt out of state every year and I got nothing against NR's.