Idaho NR prices go up

Azone

WKR
*new resident from California pays +150% surcharge

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I was gonna try to avoid the CA bashing theme, but I deleted a few lines having to do with the whole Commiefornia thing from that post having to do with a surcharge being from here. LMAO😂. Just trying to save a dollar I guess.

Edit: Housing ain’t cheap!!!!

amassi

WKR
I was gonna try to avoid the CA bashing theme, but I deleted a few lines having to do with the whole Commiefornia thing from that post having to do with a surcharge being from here. LMAO. Just trying to save a dollar I guess.
As a californian planning on moving to Idaho in the next 5 years it was tongue in cheek. The bashing on here is real, every live idahoan I've met and interacted with has been awesome though.

Azone

WKR
As a californian planning on moving to Idaho in the next 5 years it was tongue in cheek. The bashing on here is real, every live idahoan I've met and interacted with has been awesome though.

I’ve met some great people in that state. Yes, the CA threat is real, but sadly do to business obligations I’m tied to this cesspool for more than 5 years. In my experience, those jokers from Wisconsin can be a hell of a time, whether that’s a good or bad time depends on the situation though.

I Kidd you not; I was in the local sporting goods store yesterday. I was in the checkout line, and the couple behind me was talking about how ridiculous it was that they sold handguns in the same store they sold hiking gear in.... WTF.

Wait until they run into the wolf hiking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

87TT

WKR
You dont have clue what your talking about. We live less than an hour from where we have hunted at for 4 generations but it just happens to be that we now live 6 miles into another state so yes I would say we are hunting close to home with the kids but now wont be able too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
So you don’t have hunting in your state?

If a kid wants to hunt, he or she will find a way. Out of state big game hunts are not the only option. You don't do your kids any favors by bargaining with them to "recruit them". I remember vividly the first time I was allowed to accompany the grown men hunting. Right down to the snacks we ate up on the mountain. I was 12. That was 55 years ago. I didn't actually get a license and hunt for two more years. I still chased rabbits with an old recurve in the fields on the edge of town until then. I didn't get to hunt out of state and for elk until I was in my 30's. My son killed his first deer at 13. A couple years later, he told me he just didn't want to any more so I went alone or with friends. Now he wants to hunt with me and we have the last few years. Way back when he was 12, I bought him a UT deer tag and license. Full price. He ate tag soup. I also paid for his ID tags and licenses (NR). He wanted to but I paid it because I wanted to. He is 43 and has a family to provide for.
I hope your son keeps hunting but if it is just for the out of state elk hunts, then maybe he's really not into it yet.
So your son doesn't have hunting in his own state?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Normally this forum is really great but I feel like opinions and some grumpy dudes are taking this over.

I get the resident NR debate. I’m a resident of a prime state so my hunting is never a question. I’ve been a resident of CA were they purposefully manage so hunter harvest is super low. I’ve lived in GA where if you don’t have land hunting is almost impossible. I’ve lived in AZ where hunting is great but opportunity is lower. I get it.

I don’t have a good answer. But it’s sucks for NR who feel punished just for living in the wrong place. It sucks for residents who moved here on purpose to hunt and are being overrun by out of staters. I don’t know what the solution is. Maybe introduce more elk to more places so we can hunt them at home :)

Z Barebow

WKR
In the big picture, we are residents in one state and NR's in 49 states. When I was young and stupid, it pissed me off when them "out of staters" shot "my" birds. Now that I am old and dumb, I have found that most NR's are just like me. Pursuing opportunities and enjoying the ride we call life.

I have hunted ID and in the past and hope to do so in the future. Love the state. But I say that about every state I hunt! ID was on my radar to retire to, but the winds of change in Boise have me looking elsewhere.

Yes the increase will hurt. But it an extra month of plasma donation for me. Hook me up!

TheTone

WKR
It’s funny that people assume those moving to Idaho are ultra liberal. Many of the folks relocating to the northern half of the state are IMO radically conservative, often more so than the people that have been here for generations

Z Barebow

WKR
It’s funny that people assume those moving to Idaho are ultra liberal. Many of the folks relocating to the northern half of the state are IMO radically conservative, often more so than the people that have been here for generations
I understand where you are coming from. But it is a numbers game in my experience. I used to live in MN for 20 years. Outside of the Twin Cities, a majority of the people are common sense down to earth folks. But the 7 county metro has the numbers of sheeple. (Again not everyone, but enough where the likes of Ilhan Omar will never get voted out, even if she were caught on video killing puppies and babies) As a block, the philosophy of this constituency drives the political winds throughout the state. (And not in a good way)

I understand where you are coming from. But it is a numbers game in my experience. I used to live in MN for 20 years. Outside of the Twin Cities, a majority of the people are common sense down to earth folks. But the 7 county metro has the numbers of sheeple. (Again not everyone, but enough where the likes of Ilhan Omar will never get voted out, even if she were caught on video killing puppies and babies) As a block, the philosophy of this constituency drives the political winds throughout the state. (And not in a good way)

Not to get political, but CA was a swing state 25 years ago. Not much we can do to change things in most political arenas. Roll with the punches and enjoy life to the fullest. Hunting regs in many states will follow political whims. But for now, we have it pretty good and let’s fight to keep it that way.

Support conservation groups who support hunting. Become aware of your state’s proposed changes. Contact state congress persons. Promote hunting to friends who can help become activists. Be aware and active is all I can think of.

Not disappoint that they raised the fee. A couple $100 does suck at least there is still the ability to hunt. I am disappointed with the youth fee increase. Yes my kids can hunt in my home state. Yes the hunting is very hard here and low success rate but we will get it done. But it sucks that I cant afford to do a family out of state trip with tags in their pockets. I remember being 12 and doing my 1st out of state trip with the men. It was a great trip and I work all summer cutting and stacking wood to help pay my way but there is no way I could have afforded these prices and my parents could not either. It's not they they wont go but it wont be with a tag in their pockets like the good old days. Yes Idaho has the right to do as they want and I have the right to move to any state that I want but anyone who says this doesn't suck for kids crazy.

nsparks

FNG
Not disappoint that they raised the fee. A couple $100 does suck at least there is still the ability to hunt. I am disappointed with the youth fee increase. Yes my kids can hunt in my home state. Yes the hunting is very hard here and low success rate but we will get it done. But it sucks that I cant afford to do a family out of state trip with tags in their pockets. I remember being 12 and doing my 1st out of state trip with the men. It was a great trip and I work all summer cutting and stacking wood to help pay my way but there is no way I could have afforded these prices and my parents could not either. It's not they they wont go but it wont be with a tag in their pockets like the good old days. Yes Idaho has the right to do as they want and I have the right to move to any state that I want but anyone who says this doesn't suck for kids crazy.
Can't afford to hunt Idaho but you just started a thread on hunting Africa??? Doesn't compute...

Outside of the major population centers, Idahoans are making MUCH less than folks from other areas. It's Idaho's "2nd paycheck" or the ideal of "my life is better than your vacation" that makes this doable. Many can't afford an out of state hunt, especially for the whole family. The lifestyle trade off is worth it for most but I wouldn't expect sympathy.

The other part of the sentiment seen here and elsewhere towards out of staters is due in part to the effects on resources, rec facilities and overall lifestyle in the last 6 months... it has been mind blowing. We've had growing pains the last few years + but it seems to have hit a breaking point for many this summer.

I understand that Idaho is busting at the seems with people moving in. It was a state that 20 years ago I wish I would have just moved to but the pay was just to low. Looking back I should have made it work. I regret that.
The Africa thing is a once in a lifetime hunt more than likely and it’s something I have worked and saved for in order to pull it off. But yes taking three kids and spending money on raised fees is probably something I can’t afford right now. I think spending over a $1000 for 3 youth tags next year is a little much plus whatever the cost of my tags. Not something I can do year in and year out. Have no problem with them raising the adult fee just wish they would have left the youth alone

87TT

WKR
" I thought I would revisit this thread. I stated that Idaho would be cutting nonresident tags and was called out for false information and not knowing what I was talking about. Here is a link to the November quarterly meeting. Notice what is on the agenda for 8:40AM on the morning of November 20th. https://idfg.idaho.gov/about/commission/november-quarterly-meeting-commission-0"

Once again, you are wrong. They only plan to cap NR tags PER Zone. Not the overall amount of tags.
Repeat, TOTAL NR tags will be the same.

Last edited:
Does anyway care to guess what the new NR limits might be? When will they be published?