Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

A quick google search will show that there are plenty of scientific articles, from universities and state agencies that show the effects of shed hunting and ungulates. None of them state that there is anything positive that comes from more disturbance on the landscape, especially on wintering herds.
Are we talkin shed seasons here
Or paying to be allowed to disturb them?

Cause is is pay to play.
It has nothing to do with reducing disturbance.

A quick google search will show that there are plenty of scientific articles, from universities and state agencies that show the effects of shed hunting and ungulates. None of them state that there is anything positive that comes from more disturbance on the landscape, especially on wintering herds.
More .gov, have they improved anything, ever?

CorbLand

WKR
More .gov, have they improved anything, ever?
Umm, considering that unregulated hunting nearly wiped the very things we are talking about off the face of the earth…and then the people asked the government to step in and regulate it…and now we can all bitch and moan about R vs NR, what weapons we hunt them with, what technology we can use and what is needed to pick up their antlers. Yea, I would say that sometimes government intervention has improved things.

CorbLand

WKR
Are we talkin shed seasons here
Or paying to be allowed to disturb them?

Cause is is pay to play.
It has nothing to do with reducing disturbance.
You said you wanted information saying that shed hunting was killing animals.

You said you wanted information saying that shed hunting was killing animals.
I just don't think they are, have more then a couple of the worst shed hunters been charged with game harassment?

Fish and game chases them with helicopters.
If that doesn't kill them I'm not sure how walking thru the woods will.

CorbLand

WKR
I just don't think they are, have more then a couple of the worst shed hunters been charged with game harassment?

Haven’t paid close enough attention to know if anyone has ever been charged.

Getting chased one day a winter with a helicopter is far different than getting pushed daily because of people looking for sheds.

I have read enough articles and papers written about the subject to know that nothing good is coming from people going onto winter grounds and looking for sheds. You said you wanted them, I told you where you can find them. Nothing more.

Reactions: TVW

KurtR

WKR
People must really get fired up for sheds. I pick them up look at them and fire em back on the ground unless they could get in a tractor tire.

MattB

WKR
Fair.

My next question would be, what is in it for them to create revenue? Do Legislators get a bonus at the end of the year based on revenue the state has?
Politicians love to create fiefdoms to stroke their egos. If you haven’t noticed the general trend of government growing over your lifetime, you haven’t been paying attention.

And politician’s pay comes from tax revenue.

I asked this earlier, do you shed hunt? Your arguments seem to lead that way like there is a dog in the hunt. It is not overall in the best interest of the animals, period.

Do you disagree? Yes or no.

Show one study that indicates definitively no impact or that it is a benefit to animals.

I don't shed hunt. There is no logic to search for discarded bone from atop animals heads unless it's for profit or bragging rights.

Bragging rights and profit are poor excuses and are no good for the animals in the time of year this takes place. Hunting is is to manage a population of animals. Plenty of evidence shed hunting does nothing positive for animal populations as a whole.

Last edited:
This whole thing is just another option for social media influencers to shed "hunt" without the proper license. It should play out well.

MattB

WKR
Fair.

But doesn't the State of Idaho have a HUGE surplus, seems like they'd have all the slush fund they need.

What if....and maybe it's a big IF....they just want to have a higher barrier to entry and they know that charging money will weed out a bunch of people?
What pray tell would be the practical purpose of imposing a barrier to entry in shed hunting?

I asked this earlier, do you shed hunt? Your arguments seem to lead that way like there is a dog in the hunt. It is not overall in the best interest of the animals, period.

Do you disagree? Yes or no.

Show one study that indicates definitively no impact or that it is a benefit to animals.

I don't shed hunt. There is no logic to search for discarded bone from atop animals heads unless it's for profit or bragging rights.

Bragging rights and profit are poor excuses and are no good for the animals in the time of year this takes place. Hunting is is to manage a population of animals. Plenty of evidence shed hunting does nothing positive for animal populations as a whole.
Yes I do shed hunt.

What about the logic that some of us have ptsd and like to be out in the woods with our dogs.

We don't have friends and we don't like people.

If I'm not shed hunting that time of year I just sit on the couch getting fatter and thinking maybe the world would be better off without me .

Has nothing to do with bragging or profits.

Ii has to do with something I enjoy greatly that gives me a goal with enough purpose I can put off un aliving myself for a day or 2 more.
So put that in your anti shed hunting pipe and smoke it.

And I highly doubt you can show me a single place the mule deer population needs controlled.

I would definitely vote to stop mule deer hunting before shed hunting.

So when they set a season for shed hunting that didn't produce any revenue, they only cared about revenue?

The Fish and Game commission set the shed hunting season. This is the legislature continuing to wade deeper and deeper into the fish and game commission’s pool and they need to quit it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunthigh1

WKR
I am opposed to this bill. I am sick of the legislature trying to force the hand of IDFG. I don’t want politicians making decisions about wildlife. It goes against the model that has worked well for us and IDFG is doing a fine job. Additionally, how many laws and permits do we need?? If IDFG wants more money, charge me more for my existing liscence. I’ll gladly pay it, but I don’t need another permit, access pass, tag, to forget about. More laws are not always the answer

Gobbler36

WKR
x2

If folks want to shed hunt for fun, by all means. But the commercialization of the wildlife is the source of the problem. Ban the sale, ban the export.
Couldnt agree more I’ve picked up a few bear hunting and it is cool but I truly don’t understand the craze. But not Important
this would solve a lot of issues, agreed if you can’t sell the meat why can you sell antlers ?