Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

Article 4

WKR
I live in Idaho and agree with many comments here.

So I wonder. If a person is a non hunter and is just a visiting hiker and has no contact with or reason to research the issue prior to hiking, and they find a shed. Are they shed hunting or hiking?

IDVortex

WKR
I live in Idaho and agree with many comments here.

So I wonder. If a person is a non hunter and is just a visiting hiker and has no contact with or reason to research the issue prior to hiking, and they find a shed. Are they shed hunting or hiking?
They're be a criminal for shed hunting, disturbing the peace of mule deer. Sentenced to death and must repay a fine.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Fair.

But doesn't the State of Idaho have a HUGE surplus, seems like they'd have all the slush fund they need.

What if....and maybe it's a big IF....they just want to have a higher barrier to entry and they know that charging money will weed out a bunch of people?
Or make them criminals for nothing

Gobbler36

WKR
By the way I don’t think it should be just NR
our residents should have to pay this also.

on a side note I can’t remember where it was from now but I thought I remembered that the soil is also worse off because of the growing demand in Asia for antlers and that all those antlers redistribute minerals back into the earth.
not sure how true it was, I think it was on a podcast maybe? But anyways it could make sense to me

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
I actually like this bill - maybe I am wrong - but this creates teeth for shed hunting restrictions.

Think of the incident we had last year on Tex Creek WMA. The WMA was in emergency closure and several individuals violated the closure. We reported individuals to the FG, yet nothing was done. Perhaps this bill attempts to close a loophole, create a penalty affixed for not having a license and if you have a license, but violate a season they can get you that way.

The CO's do have too much crap to police shed hunting as well, but I would like to think this creates teeth to go after individuals in rare circumstances.

I actually like this bill - maybe I am wrong - but this creates teeth for shed hunting restrictions.

Think of the incident we had last year on Tex Creek WMA. The WMA was in emergency closure and several individuals violated the closure. We reported individuals to the FG, yet nothing was done. Perhaps this bill attempts to close a loophole, create a penalty affixed for not having a license and if you have a license, but violate a season they can get you that way.

The CO's do have too much crap to police shed hunting as well, but I would like to think this creates teeth to go after individuals in rare circumstances.
If they did nothing about that, what makes you think they would enforce this?

eye_zick

Lil-Rokslider
Good question, in essence: Idaho would need an antler regulation to enforce state wildlife rules on federal ground.

Tex Creek WMA is combination of various federal and state grounds. Federal laws allow the fish and game to enforce state wildlife rules, but they themselves do not restrict antler gathering.

Lastly, I am not a proponent of more government, but how could we obtain a similar outcome without laws and consequences?

Good question, in essence: Idaho would need an antler regulation to enforce state wildlife rules on federal ground.

Tex Creek WMA is combination of various federal and state grounds. Federal laws allow the fish and game to enforce state wildlife rules, but they themselves do not restrict antler gathering.

Lastly, I am not a proponent of more government, but how could we obtain a similar outcome without laws and consequences?
I'm sure F&G could of charged them with something if they wanted to.
Cops are good at grasping at straws to get something on ya.

At minimum they could of contacted the feds.

I can tell you one thing.
If I have to buy a hunting license I'm sure a heck gonna be on there in December raising havoc with the hords and then also applying for the limited quota draws.

The last 3 years I haven't participated at all.

So careful what you with for folks.

Instead of my bitching, here's a solution of sorts. Make shed hunting off-limits until well after the calves and fawns drop. Have at it in the summertime without any permit or fee when the animals being pushed has much less effect on their health. But of course sheds may have been chewed on by rodents and that would just be terrible... if folks are doing it for the exercise, this shouldn't be upsetting. My contention is they are not doing it for the exercise. Plenty of opportunity to hike the highways and byways, trails and mountains in other ways. Shallow argument. They do it because they want to have an artifact that means something to them personally more than it does the health of the animals.

Again, because it has come to the forefront thanks to folks saying "look at me" on social media, they've created their own issue. All, unfortunately, must lie in the bed that's been made.

Last edited:

Archer86

WKR
I can tell you one thing.
If I have to buy a hunting license I'm sure a heck gonna be on there in December raising havoc with the hords and then also applying for the limited quota draws.

The last 3 years I haven't participated at all.

So careful what you with for folks.
You won't have to the general tags are going to a draw. So no more December havoc we can hope

TVW

Lil-Rokslider
What pray tell would be the practical purpose of imposing a barrier to entry in shed hunting?

So they are pressured less? Isn't that the goal? Isn't that why they set a season for it to begin with?

Maybe I'm a knucklehead but my thoughts were that if NR had to pay, less of them would come to shed hunt = less pressure on the animals.

Also, I cannot believe their are folks on here who think Shed Hunting isn't hard on the animals....there is a staggering amount of evidence out there that it's pretty much horrible for them.

Nothing will get better until they ban the sale of antlers.
Too many dang people that love to pressure game if it means they can make an extra buck and get some clout on social media.

Reactions: TVW
I live in Idaho and used to horn hunt every spring but due to all the people out there looking for them I don’t any more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
People must really get fired up for sheds. I pick them up look at them and fire em back on the ground unless they could get in a tractor tire.
Same here. A dead tree would do me far more good (for heat) than an antler.

When I was a kid, the first tumbleweed I ever saw got taken home and put in my bedroom because it was really "Western". I outgrew that too.

OP
Travis Hobbs
For anyone interested, it passed committee in about 3 seconds today.

Click on the link, scroll to the bottom, it’s today’s video (Feb 27th) at the 20:30 mark.

And to sum it up, basically he said nonresidents should contribute to the resource.