Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

IDVortex

WKR
No comments besides Speaker Moyle that presented it. Sent it to the house floor with unanimous support.
My no comment was in regards of me not speaking my mind. 😂

So it was already discussed behind closed doors and not even up for debate or talk so folks would understand their reasoning.

I wonder what one of his buddies either has some NR take horns that they were after, or got out hunted by a NR.

Takes about 2 seconds to understand how it affects the animals, 3 seconds is a long time.

IDVortex

WKR
The argument of saying shed hunting is worse pressure on animals vs hunters I think is flawed. Maybe some areas yes, but in general no.

"

Harvest highs & lows​

For the ninth consecutive year, Idaho elk harvests came in over 20,000. Elk hunters took home 20,952 total elk in 2022, roughly a 3% boost in animals harvested compared to 2021. Roughly 88,551 elk hunters — just 1% fewer than 2021 — took to the mountains in 2022 in search of elk, with 23% of those individuals successfully harvesting an elk, which is consistent with the last four years.

A total of 79,516 mule deer hunters headed out in 2022, with 23,588 of those successfully packing out a mule deer, accounting for a 29% success rate. Last year’s near 9.5% decrease in total mule deer harvest is the sixth consecutive year below the 10-year average, and perhaps the biggest takeaway of 2022 was 2,498 fewer mule deer harvested by roughly the same number of hunters.

As for white-tailed deer, an estimated 47,286 white-tailed deer hunters harvested 19,182 whitetails in 2022 — still on par with a 38% percent success rate. The success of white-tail hunters has been largely on track for the 10-year average, and Fish and Game wildlife managers believe that the white-tailed deer populations are beginning to rebound after an Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) outbreak that rocked the Clearwater Region in 2020." Source is IDFG.

The amount of stress and movement deer recieve come hunting season (which starts in September and varies ends) is more stressful than in the spring. Think of how better off the herds would be if we banned hunting all together, so they're not stressed when trying to gain weight and move around for winter grounds?

I do believe we should have shed seasons, but not a outright ban, and to solve the issues that everyone has about it, we need to ban antler sales. If there is no market, no money. Fewer folks will do it.

Oh yeah, I don't shed hunt.

MattB

WKR
So they are pressured less? Isn't that the goal? Isn't that why they set a season for it to begin with?

Maybe I'm a knucklehead but my thoughts were that if NR had to pay, less of them would come to shed hunt = less pressure on the animals.

Also, I cannot believe there are folks on here who think Shed Hunting isn't hard on the animals....there is a staggering amount of evidence out there that it's pretty much horrible for them.
Do you think that non-resident shed hunters somehow pressure animals less than resident shed hunters?

Setting a season date was to protect the animals. If their concern was for the animals, ban the activity. Charging a fee for non-residents but not for residents is just ID politicians taking the opportunity to monetize the resource in a manner that does ruffle constituent’s feathers.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
What a joke this is🤣 as noted above the only legit argument against shed hunting is pressure on animals so lets charge only non res to do it 🤣 ok. I know 30 plus Idaho shed hunters all ages 99% live in Idaho. A few don’t hunt basically at all. Haters will hate and my collection is 40 plus years old. Shed hunting unlike hunting, antlers don’t walk to you🤣 They make great decor, and can help you tremendously on animal activity and knowledge. A few collections I’m privy to you would have Zero idea of the High Caliber animals without seeing the sheds. Does not impact my retirement activity, as I have a license every year anyway. Off to roam four states the next few months🤙 Perfect example I arrowed my 2013 Idaho bull 400 yds from his shed😍

Attachments

• IMG_0453.jpeg
    IMG_0453.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 55
Get money out of the equation. Ban it in the springtime, period. Show up in the summer and have at it.

My point is folks can't seem to agree on a way to do it, so put a ban on it till mid summer after the animals have had their young and are in good shape. People can have all the time in the woods looking for sheds they want at that point, resident and non resident alike.

I see the different arguments for and against because folks have convictions and passions, whether they be about money, government, health of animals. When the shed season opens, it is not unlike the start of the Indy 500 in the woods, in even more concentrated areas because of how the animals congregate in the winter.

My point is folks can't seem to agree on a way to do it, so put a ban on it till mid summer after the animals have had their young and are in good shape. People can have all the time in the woods looking for sheds they want at that point, resident and non resident alike.

I see the different arguments for and against because folks have convictions and passions, whether they be about money, government, health of animals. When the shed season opens, it is not unlike the start of the Indy 500 in the woods, in even more concentrated areas because of how the animals congregate in the winter.
Should spring bear hunters be allowed in the woods when the Elk are calving?

That would be in the same time and area. Bears love calving.

And that would be during the time you want to keep shed hunters out.

I appreciate debating back-and-forth. There is no all or none solution. However, residents should not "suffer" in a sense due to non-residents pouring into the state. I'm assuming that's the issue unless Idahoans caused the issue because they brought attention to their numbers.

My statement is not a practical one, however, it will curb out of staters from overrunning Idaho, it will put less pressure on the animals when there are hunters pursuing legitimate game in the spring. With that, bear hunters are not congregating and entering more specific areas in inordinate numbers that shed hunters do. And nobody is put out because they have to pay to do it.

I appreciate debating back-and-forth. There is no all or none solution. However, residents should not "suffer" in a sense due to non-residents pouring into the state. I'm assuming that's the issue unless Idahoans caused the issue because they brought attention to their numbers.

My statement is not a practical one, however, it will curb out of staters from overrunning Idaho, it will put less pressure on the animals when there are hunters pursuing legitimate game in the spring. With that, bear hunters are not congregating and entering more specific areas in inordinate numbers that shed hunters do. Am I wrong in that? And nobody is put out because they have to pay to do it.

If I was to spring bear hunt in certain areas the elk calving grounds would definitely be a target.

Generally all shed seasons do is keep out the honest and poachers wreck havoc and the honest hardly get anyone once they are allowed in.

I have personally shed hunted my tail off since 2018 I have never seen someone pushing animals.
I never even walk towards animals on the hoof.

And I have never seen an animal that I thought died from disturbance.

I'm not saying emergency closures in certain areas may not have some benefit on certain years.
I think there is alot a hoopla about a few dudes with you tube channels.

But thats not the norm.

In actual real life I just don't think there would be a measurable difference in animal survival from keeping shed hunters out.

I bet less the .001 percent of deer die a year from shed hunting disturbance.
And I'd bet no elk ever has.

MattB

WKR
The argument of saying shed hunting is worse pressure on animals vs hunters I think is flawed. Maybe some areas yes, but in general no.

"

Harvest highs & lows​

For the ninth consecutive year, Idaho elk harvests came in over 20,000. Elk hunters took home 20,952 total elk in 2022, roughly a 3% boost in animals harvested compared to 2021. Roughly 88,551 elk hunters — just 1% fewer than 2021 — took to the mountains in 2022 in search of elk, with 23% of those individuals successfully harvesting an elk, which is consistent with the last four years.

A total of 79,516 mule deer hunters headed out in 2022, with 23,588 of those successfully packing out a mule deer, accounting for a 29% success rate. Last year’s near 9.5% decrease in total mule deer harvest is the sixth consecutive year below the 10-year average, and perhaps the biggest takeaway of 2022 was 2,498 fewer mule deer harvested by roughly the same number of hunters.

As for white-tailed deer, an estimated 47,286 white-tailed deer hunters harvested 19,182 whitetails in 2022 — still on par with a 38% percent success rate. The success of white-tail hunters has been largely on track for the 10-year average, and Fish and Game wildlife managers believe that the white-tailed deer populations are beginning to rebound after an Epizootic hemorrhagic disease (EHD) outbreak that rocked the Clearwater Region in 2020." Source is IDFG.

The amount of stress and movement deer recieve come hunting season (which starts in September and varies ends) is more stressful than in the spring. Think of how better off the herds would be if we banned hunting all together, so they're not stressed when trying to gain weight and move around for winter grounds?

I do believe we should have shed seasons, but not a outright ban, and to solve the issues that everyone has about it, we need to ban antler sales. If there is no market, no money. Fewer folks will do it.

Oh yeah, I don't shed hunt.
Animals are generally in much better physical condition just before winter than just after it.

Grundy53

WKR
Fair.

But doesn't the State of Idaho have a HUGE surplus, seems like they'd have all the slush fund they need.

What if....and maybe it's a big IF....they just want to have a higher barrier to entry and they know that charging money will weed out a bunch of people?
Is there ever "enough" money for crooked politicians?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk