Idaho Shed Hunting- Permit Required Bill

shedhead

FNG
I’m an Idaho resident and shed hunt in 2-3 different states every year. I personally never see that many non resident shed hunters locally. It must be worse in other areas.
I do not think Idaho sees the big influx of non residents like I see in the surrounding states.
I’m curious the reasoning behind only charging non residents???? Not residents??
If a non resident is shed hunting Idaho I would almost bet the majority of those people are also applying and hunting in the state as well. So will Idaho really make that much more money than they do currently..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is ridiculous, people need to pay the government for permission to pick stuff up off the ground? What next pay a fee every time you take a dump at your house. I'm amazed everyone isn't outraged about this!

ODB

WKR
This is a good example of the tragedy of the commons. Shed hunting has become a “thing” and the influx of people to exploit the limited resource has caused issues of one kind or another, including the perception of scarcity of resource, which then drives more people to the field to get “their” piece of the resource.

As far as paying the government for picking up stuff off the ground…yes, trees, coal, oil, fish, gold, etc are all natural resources governed by fees.

This is a good example of the tragedy of the commons. Shed hunting has become a “thing” and the influx of people to exploit the limited resource has caused issues of one kind or another, including the perception of scarcity of resource, which then drives more people to the field to get “their” piece of the resource.

As far as paying the government for picking up stuff off the ground…yes, trees, coal, oil, fish, gold, etc are all natural resources governed by fees.
Firewood is like 6 cords for $10 tho rite?
And residents have to pay too.

CorbLand

WKR

It amazes me on a hunting forum of all places how many times it has to be explained why you have to pay for things.

You don’t pay the government to cut a tree down, for a deer tag, etc. these things are held in trust by the state for the people of that state. You are paying the people of the state to take a resource that is owned by them and use it for yourself.

If the tree is on federal ground, your permit is to pay every citizen of the US.

Last edited:

squid-freshprints

Lil-Rokslider
Only thing worse than a shed hunter is a rock hound, or firewood cutter, or quad guy, or snow machine guy, sheep herds, recreational shooters, hippies, dog walkers, cattle, helicopter counts, another hunter, and people that do stuff I don't. ( they just cleared the way for a 100 plus acre gravel pit close to my house that will forever destroy a highly critical wintering elk ground, but those guys aren't on youtube so whatever.)

Only thing worse than a shed hunter is a rock hound, or firewood cutter, or quad guy, or snow machine guy, sheep herds, recreational shooters, hippies, dog walkers, cattle, helicopter counts, another hunter, and people that do stuff I don't. ( they just cleared the way for a 100 plus acre gravel pit close to my house that will forever destroy a highly critical wintering elk ground, but those guys aren't on youtube so whatever.)
Ohh man what about the hot springs weirdos.

Broomd

WKR
Once they heard everyone crying about the season they realized how many people were wanting to participate and saw an opportunity to cash in.
One could argue that Idaho has a duty to maximize the value of our state's resources, not seeing how this is a terrible thing.

Charge everyone, including us residents.

Reactions: TVW

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think y'all are missing part of the point. If someone violates a shed closure, they get what, a ticket? Make them buy a license and now they've violated a game law and can lose hunting privileges in 49 states all at once. It at least adds teeth to enforcement actions... unless you're an idiot ginger from Utah who cries in front of judges.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk