Idaho Spring Bear

Idahohikker(although you mentioned no areas north of Salmon) and others -

A couple years back I ended up hunting the spring hunt in 10a, and honestly came up empty handed. Great country but too thick for my liking or my style of hunting. I was fortunate enough to draw a spring bear tag in the Wenaha last year here in Washington, but with zero points doubt I'm going to have the same luck this year.

I'm toying with the idea of getting out for spring bear - I really enjoyed the hunt last year, and being out that time of year is pretty cool. Any chance on some PM advice regarding the best chance of access to success in Mid-May-later? More looking for general GMU information, I don't mind doing the legwork when it comes to maps/nailing down exact spots/etc... I also know ATV abuse is pretty rampant in the state, and I know it can happen anytime/anywhere, so having some sort of knowledge about places that I could avoid that would be nice too.

My hunt style is primarily spot and stalk, and I don't mind using my legs to get back/up into an area... I honestly don't mind packing in either. I don't have an ATV, and I don't want to spend money on a drop style hunt. I usually hunt the backcountry of the Cascades in WA... but I'm not opposed to front-country as well. I just wanna get out there!

Thanks(or not) in advance.

skierhs

WKR
Newbie here looking to either hunt Montona or Idaho. Im looking for the best oppertunity to harvest a bear. I will be going on the hunt with my dad we have no prior backcountry experience. My dad is up there in age and honestly dont think he has it in him to hike 2-3 in. Im looking for a good area and the best oppertunity to harvest a nice bear.
The reduced tags are nice but it only means that they want predators taken out of the area. If it’s your first time I’d go full price or maybe even Montana. A large portion of the discount is because the woods are very thick and super hard to hunt. There are some open areas but then access is harder to get into there. All spring bear hunts are fun though so if it’s all you can do just do it.

OP
I
Idahohikker(although you mentioned no areas north of Salmon) and others -

A couple years back I ended up hunting the spring hunt in 10a, and honestly came up empty handed. Great country but too thick for my liking or my style of hunting. I was fortunate enough to draw a spring bear tag in the Wenaha last year here in Washington, but with zero points doubt I'm going to have the same luck this year.

I'm toying with the idea of getting out for spring bear - I really enjoyed the hunt last year, and being out that time of year is pretty cool. Any chance on some PM advice regarding the best chance of access to success in Mid-May-later? More looking for general GMU information, I don't mind doing the legwork when it comes to maps/nailing down exact spots/etc... I also know ATV abuse is pretty rampant in the state, and I know it can happen anytime/anywhere, so having some sort of knowledge about places that I could avoid that would be nice too.

My hunt style is primarily spot and stalk, and I don't mind using my legs to get back/up into an area... I honestly don't mind packing in either. I don't have an ATV, and I don't want to spend money on a drop style hunt. I usually hunt the backcountry of the Cascades in WA... but I'm not opposed to front-country as well. I just wanna get out there!

Thanks(or not) in advance.
I haven’t hunted north of the Salmon Breaks so take this with a grain of salt.

If you look closely at the data, you’ll see that Northern Idaho has a lot of bears. I’d look through the units producing pretty good harvest numbers and pick one, focusing on places where there are some openings. The bonus is that wolf numbers are high up there so you could do a combo hunt if the seasons align.

I haven’t hunted north of the Salmon Breaks so take this with a grain of salt.

If you look closely at the data, you’ll see that Northern Idaho has a lot of bears. I’d look through the units producing pretty good harvest numbers and pick one, focusing on places where there are some openings. The bonus is that wolf numbers are high up there so you could do a combo hunt if the seasons align.
I do see that - and I’m open to other areas. Northern Idaho, I know, has a great bear population but most of it is thick. I probably wouldn’t go back to 10a - not for the style of hunting I do, which is why I’m kinda in the air about it. Half of me wants to get back out there no matter what, but the other half doesn’t wanna just blow $350 😂

FNG
Thanks for tips. Looking at a spring hunt in Id myself this year

DanTesta

FNG
Does anyone have any info they could share on spot and stalk in Unit 1? This will be my and my buddies first western trip and plan on going in a couple miles to camp and hunt from camp. We would both love to get a color phased bear but honestly will not be picky. The second thought was unit 4 but not sure if there is enough open areas to glass in either of the units.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I do see that - and I’m open to other areas. Northern Idaho, I know, has a great bear population but most of it is thick. I probably wouldn’t go back to 10a - not for the style of hunting I do, which is why I’m kinda in the air about it. Half of me wants to get back out there no matter what, but the other half doesn’t wanna just blow $350
Look at it this way, you can apply for controlled hunts since you'll already have the hunting license. Lots of units are conducive to spot and stalk hunting, might just have to hike further because of road access blocked by snow.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
I should say, units other than N Idaho lol. Most of that is thick unless you get on some clearcuts or burns

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nidaho

FNG
Unit one is thick. I do have a friend who has been pretty successful spot and stalk on bears. Unit one has no baiting and no hounds in the spring some hounds in the fall. Unit four I believe has bait and hounds both spring and fall. Unit four might have more opening for glassing. Look for company ground it is usually logged pretty hard and open enough for glassing. I don’t know about going in a couple miles and camping I would probably truck camp and hike into different clear cuts till I found the bears.

WT57

FNG
Unit one is thick. I do have a friend who has been pretty successful spot and stalk on bears. Unit one has no baiting and no hounds in the spring some hounds in the fall. Unit four I believe has bait and hounds both spring and fall. Unit four might have more opening for glassing. Look for company ground it is usually logged pretty hard and open enough for glassing. I don’t know about going in a couple miles and camping I would probably truck camp and hike into different clear cuts till I found the bears.
How do you find clearcuts on a map or company map?

Also, are any companies clearcutting in Unit 1?

Also, the reduced units appear to be almost inaccessible to a certain extent, which is why I'm guessing the price is lower. I called IDFG and spoke with someone and she said the prices were lower lower in those units because as was previously mentioned, they want the bear numbers down.

Are there clearcut maps for those units, for the entire state? How do you get your hands on clearcut maps?

Thanks.

How do you find clearcuts on a map or company map?

Also, are any companies clearcutting in Unit 1?

Also, the reduced units appear to be almost inaccessible to a certain extent, which is why I'm guessing the price is lower. I called IDFG and spoke with someone and she said the prices were lower lower in those units because as was previously mentioned, they want the bear numbers down.

Are there clearcut maps for those units, for the entire state? How do you get your hands on clearcut maps?

Thanks.
It should be pretty easy to tell clear cuts from google earth. You can hop on the IFG website and layer out the interactive map to get ownership data.

WT57

FNG
Get as much info as you can from the N Idaho guys about Grizz. My oldest daughter had a moose tag up there in 2018 and to say that it was an easy feeling up there is an understatement.
Grizzlies everywhere? That might make it kind of exciting if you bring a good camera and some bear spray.

How'd she do on the moose hunt?

We didn’t see any bears, but just knowing that they are there is enough. I believe there are special camping guidelines, north of the Clark Fork . Maybe the north guys can clarify that. The moose hunt was fun, but unsuccessful. The moose population up there is struggling and it is really showing.

We didn’t see any bears, but just knowing that they are there is enough. I believe there are special camping guidelines, north of the Clark Fork . Maybe the north guys can clarify that. The moose hunt was fun, but unsuccessful. The moose population up there is struggling and it is really showing.

While you’re camping, food has be in your vehicle, in a solid, air tight cooler or container, or strung up in a tree a ways away from camp (I can’t remember the distance).

I’ll add that Unit 1 is amazing and rugged and thick brush, but you’ll see tons of critters up there. I just never saw black bear, only grizz.

If you go, take a fly rod, because fishing those glacial lakes up there will make you feel like an expert with all the strikes you get!

WT57

FNG
I’ll add that Unit 1 is amazing and rugged and thick brush, but you’ll see tons of critters up there. I just never saw black bear, only grizz.

If you go, take a fly rod, because fishing those glacial lakes up there will make you feel like an expert with all the strikes you get!
That's interesting. I had the same experience fishing the glacial or runoff mountain lakes in The Wallowa Mountains in Oregon back in the early eighties. Drank the water untreated from the lakes and rivers, too. Almost 40 years ago, can't believe it. Incredible.

Is there a griz concern in all of idaho or just certain areas??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ericwh

WKR
Is there a griz concern in all of idaho or just certain areas??

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The bear section of the big game hunt guide from ID f&g mentions the possibiltiy of encountering grizzly bears for different areas.