Idaho Spring Bear

Would a hunt like this be advisable solo??? Been wanting to do this for awhile not sure I could convince someone to tag along... lol

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Would a hunt like this be advisable solo??? Been wanting to do this for awhile not sure I could convince someone to tag along... lol

Sure, there shouldn’t be any problems going solo. Just make sure you leave friends or family a dependable itinerary.

MHWASH

WKR

The nice thing about spring bear hunting, at least to me, is there is so much daylight, buy the time I get back to camp, I’m so tired. I don’t get lonely or bored.

RimRunner

FNG
The earliest I usually see bears is 830am or so, sleep in but expect to be out late watching them til right at dark at 8 pm or later

MHWASH

WKR
Our trip last year was unseasonable hot, several days in the 80's. We hunted from day light to dark every day. The earliest we saw a bear was 3:30 in the afternoon, after the temps were in the 80s.

Anybody have any insight on what the snow pack is going to end up like this year?
We were running about 65 percent of average up until this week. That number will surely raise after this latest round of storms. It's still pretty early for any kind of determination.

OP
I
We were running about 65 percent of average up until this week. That number will surely raise after this latest round of storms. It's still pretty early for any kind of determination.

Some other portions of the state where around 80-90% based on the snotel report recently.

bigokie

FNG
Thanks for all of the information guys. I am very interested in doing this hunt and had no idea where to start and this thread is great.

JSWI

FNG
Great info...I have always wanted to do a spring bear hunt, but really had no idea where to start. This info is encouraging enough that I think it might be a realistic thing to plan at some point.

WT57

FNG
Total newbie to ID here, but here in Wisconsin all our bears are pretty much coal black. I’d really like a color phase bear. Are they more common in some regions than others? Almost connected in CO this year on a gorgeous brown phase but doh! Thanks I’m advance
I'm from Wisconsin with the same idea. I'm new to this forum so I haven't figured out how to contact members, but if you want to carpool out there, let me know. Maybe we can work together.

I am wondering what specifically the "reduced" price tags listed here refer to, tags in addition to the regular priced tag or is it two tags at the reduced rate of $41.75 and you don't need to purchase the regularly priced tag?

Also, why are they reduced? Are there fewer bear in those areas, or too many?

specifically it mentions in this paragraph:

Resident Second Tags and Nonresident Discounted Tags Residents may purchase a second black bear tag, and Nonresidents may purchase two (2) reduced-price black bear tags for Units 4, 4A, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 16A, 17, 19, 20, 20A, 26, 27, that portion of Unit 16 north of the Selway River, and those portions of Units 21 and 28 within designated wilderness at the discounted price of $41.75; or a nonresident may purchase one (1) full priced bear tag ($186.00) to hunt black bear anywhere outside the areas listed above and one (1) reduced priced bear tag valid in areas listed above.

Last edited:

crossone

FNG
I believe the reduced price tags are for areas where they want fewer bears. Many of the reduced price units in the panhandle have large bear populations but deer and elk populations below desired numbers, thus reduced price tags. Probably the same in the Frank Church.

OP
I
The reduced price is only to try to draw people in those areas because the deer and elk numbers are down and access for spring bear hunting is limited.

Bear numbers are about average in the Frank overall. The river breaks areas have more but not the type of density that exists in the Panhandle and areas where more bears are consistently killed in Southern Idaho.

Newbie here looking to either hunt Montona or Idaho. Im looking for the best oppertunity to harvest a bear. I will be going on the hunt with my dad we have no prior backcountry experience. My dad is up there in age and honestly dont think he has it in him to hike 2-3 in. Im looking for a good area and the best oppertunity to harvest a nice bear.

Newbie here looking to either hunt Montona or Idaho. Im looking for the best oppertunity to harvest a bear. I will be going on the hunt with my dad we have no prior backcountry experience. My dad is up there in age and honestly dont think he has it in him to hike 2-3 in. Im looking for a good area and the best oppertunity to harvest a nice bear.

Same boat as you thinking a bear hunt would be a good way to get into it and see how pops handles it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk