Idaho with no particular plan

Dented

WKR
I'm headed to Idaho for a couple of weeks for some R&R. I'll be wandering in from Freedom, WY, headed vaguely north over the course of a couple of weeks. No plans, no fixed schedule, just hike, shoot a couple birds, camp, explore. I never stay in hotels, and I'm rarely in the same place 2 nights in a row.

That being said, can anybody make some suggestions on things to see, places to eat, whatever?

I'm open to any and all ideas.

Thanks!

Pick your way up north through to Grangeville. There are lots of backroads if a guy wants to stay off the beaten path. Once you get to Grangeville, head into Elk City and take the Magruder Corridor over to Montana and head back south to Wyoming.

OP
D

Dented

WKR
Thanks guys!

Off the beaten path is my favored travel plan. I wandered most of northwest Montana last year on forest service roads.

sneaky

"DADDY"
If off the beaten path is your plan, stay the hell away from Stanley

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I highly recommend taking the highway between twin falls and Ketchum and stopping by mammoth cave. I think it's somewhere near Shoshone. There is a large cave, a weird host, and a super weird homebrewed museum of taxidermy and other historical artifacts.

Mtnboy

WKR
If you end up near the Silver Valley check out the Snake Pit Restaurant in Enaville.

OP
D

Dented

WKR
Thank you! The fires/ smoke are a concern. The link is a great resource!

OP
D

Dented

WKR
Im actually starting at Freedom, WY specifically to check out the revolvers. Im thinking there's a model 97 in my future.

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Drive from Howe to Ellis. Then down to Challis and down highway 75 then near Clayton take the east fork of the salmon river road all the way to the guard station. It’s just a scenic drive. Then from there People have shat on Stanley but I recommend seeing it one cool thing right now is there are about 40 chinook salmon spawning near the sawtooth fish hatchery where the highway crosses the river at the bridge - I saw them last week and it’s o
Pretty cool. From there go down to Ketchum and then take the pass road over to Mackey Idaho then had back to Arco and over to Craters of the Moon. Then down to Hagerman to soak in Miracle Hot Springs. On this route you will be on dirt roads for a lot of it and avoid all major cities but still scenic with places to gas up and see great mountain ranges

IDLassie

Lil-Rokslider
Boundary Fire has taken off big time. they just closed down a larger area into the Boise National forest and the Salmon/Challis Forest. The smoke came in so thick last night you could cut a piece out and eat it it's nasty.
As for Stanley it's Sun Valley north now. Too many people and too many wrecks on the weekends. Won't see much for scenery in central Idaho this weekend with all the smoke. Stanley has become a suck hole.

mwebs

WKR
If your talking straight north then I would make sure you head over to Teton Valley from Swan Valley and skip the potato nothingness of the Idaho Falls area. Then head up to Ashton and Island Park. Good fall fishing and tons of roads to get off the beating path. You could go up the Lemhi valley to Salmon and over to Stanley and hit a bunch of hot springs. People shit on Stanley but that area is great and there are some dirt roads you can get totally lost on and away from all civilization around there. Also the pizza place in Stanley is awesome, K Club for cocktails.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You won't see anything in Stanley area right now except for smoke and hippies. Don't say you weren't warned. Smoke is ridiculous right now and if Boundary fire doesn't get some serious moisture on it it's going to suck for a while.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk