In-Reach/Spot-X vs PLB

Vandy321

WKR
I'm on the fence and looking for some input. I currently have a super packable, waterproof PLB that I carry in the woods. It's on the Cospas SARSAT network, one button push and directly to rescue assets. There is no subscription, no fees, nothing.

For those of you that have an In-Reach or the like, do you find the text function handy/worthwhile? Is there a concern that if you were badly injured or maybe suffering from severe altitude sickness, you may not be able to type/text to communicate efficiently?

I'm just looking for some real world inputs from folks,maybe who've gone from beacon to In-Reach or spot X. I'm just not sure the subscription is worth it, but I'm considering putting the beacon up in favor of trying the garmin.

I already have a garmin GPS for backup, use OnX on the phone for primary, so the only reason for the I-reach would be for the text function vs just the beacon signal.

LaHunter

WKR
With the InReach, there is a SOS button that sends a distress message to Search and Rescue when activated. The texting function allows you to provide details of your condition to them. If you were unable to text, the distress signal still goes through when you activate the SOS. For non emergency, the texting function is great for communicating with loved ones.

One is a communication device with emergency signalling capabilities. The other is strictly an emergency activation device. The inreach allows two way communication in an emergency if your still able to send messages, and as a responder to back country emergencies, this makes a huge difference to what resources I would send, as well as letting medical response to be prepared for what they have to do. May not always be yourself alone that needs help, but anyone in your party or someone you come across. For me that makes the garmin/delorme more than worth carrying

WTFJohn

WKR
vCqtvZu.jpg

The inReach is all I grab anymore, the full size unit is only slightly larger than my PLB and offers way more capability (texting, weather, navigation, plus SOS). I will save important way points like the truck, camp, kill site, etc... in the Garmin via the paired phone app, but other than that it doesn't get used for navigation (OnX for that, but it's good having a backup). Messaging is easy on the app, not too much of a pain on the full size unit if using it standalone.

I carry a USB battery pack for my phone and camera if I'm out for more than a few days, so battery life hasn't been an issue for me (especially with my use patterns). I'll probably pick up the inReach mini with my REI rebate this year to cut some weight/size and keep the fullsize as a loaner.

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Well, hell...may be time to put the beacon up and give In-Reach a try. Not excited about the service plan, but agree, the wife would like the text option for checking in.

Thanks for the input fellas.

Jrussell

FNG
I picked up a inreach last fall for a Alaska trip. My wife enjoyed getting a couple texts each day from me. Good peace of mind for both of us.

WTFJohn

WKR
The mini is impressively tiny; I'm looking forward to getting out with it for some BC skiing, coyote hunts, and turkeys this spring to see what kind of battery life it has.

ai8qiXg.jpg

aqn0DRS.jpg

Last edited:

Yates

FNG
Great thing about the Garmin plans for the mini is you can inactivate it when not in use and thus not be required to continue pay for a plan when not in use.

Tod osier

WKR
I'm on the fence and looking for some input. I currently have a super packable, waterproof PLB that I carry in the woods. It's on the Cospas SARSAT network, one button push and directly to rescue assets. There is no subscription, no fees, nothing.

For those of you that have an In-Reach or the like, do you find the text function handy/worthwhile? Is there a concern that if you were badly injured or maybe suffering from severe altitude sickness, you may not be able to type/text to communicate efficiently?

I'm just looking for some real world inputs from folks,maybe who've gone from beacon to In-Reach or spot X. I'm just not sure the subscription is worth it, but I'm considering putting the beacon up in favor of trying the garmin.

I already have a garmin GPS for backup, use OnX on the phone for primary, so the only reason for the I-reach would be for the text function vs just the beacon signal.

On all these threads you will find that people love the in-reach (and trust them as a beacon). I’ve also read a whole lot of stories of people that have had trouble getting the in-reach to send receive messages (several this fall). If they are at times unreliable, I want something more for a beacon. When I’m truely remote I’ll always want a true plb and a sat phone within the party.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
On all these threads you will find that people love the in-reach (and trust them as a beacon). I’ve also read a whole lot of stories of people that have had trouble getting the in-reach to send receive messages (several this fall). If they are at times unreliable, I want something more for a beacon. When I’m truely remote I’ll always want a true plb and a sat phone within the party.

Valid...at just a few extra ounces, it really cant hurt to carry both, if you can afford it, as life may just depend on it.

I don't need or want the subscription device. I don't want to manage another battery out on a hunt. I have a mapping GPS which I never use. My most dependable rescue unit is my PLB which is a FastFind Ranger. It's small, rugged and goes everywhere. I'll pass on the texting thing.....but that's just me. Nothing negative toward the InReach.

Cliffy12

WKR
I got the inreach a few years ago and stopped using just a GPS. Due to having onx on my phone. I didn't know that inreach has had problems with distress signals. That's the whole reason I got it. Where they only while sending texts out or actual sos signals not going through?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
I have a PLB and a mini. I won't leave my PLB at home. If I'm truly in need of help I will use the PLB.

Three of us used the minis this year and had a lot of issues with signal. It was very dependant on where you were. If the SOS goes out over the same channels as the texts no way I'd trust my life with it.

We were not in a remote area. The mini needs a clear view to the sky. There were areas in camp where it wouldn't get a signal, move it ten yards and would immediately get a signal. I had a lot of messages come in over the 10 day hunt out of order, also had a lot to my wife that she received out of order. Some took a couple days to go through.

Operation of the mini is not intuitive. It is hard to text on. If you don't pair it with your phone you would be hard pressed to text anything cognitive in an emergency.

I use the mini to communicate with my wife as it gives her peace of mind when I'm out for long periods. It worked well for that purpose. Not something I'd use to replace my PLB.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

TheRambler

Lil-Rokslider
Re: inreach being unreliable.

So, all of these devices send their sos function in a nearly identical way, and they all rely on satellites.

That being said, the earth moves and so do the satellites. Sometimes a message will go through in 1 min, other times it may take 20-30 mins. It all depends on where the satellites are as you have to wait for one to get within los.

One good thing about the inreach is it shows you if its still trying to send, when the satellite acknowledges receipt, and when it was actually delivered to the recipient.

The longest i have ever had to wait was 22mins. I would say the average time is 2-4 mins.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
From a freq standpoint, after some research, 406mhz to the SARSAT network (PLB) is a much much lower frequency than In-Reach transmits to its Iridium in (606 to 1610 or so) , so the PLB (406mhz) is generally going to be MUCH better at transmitting through cover and foliage that the In-Reach. The higher frequency waves will reflect off trees/branches etc much easier than lower freq waves...

Also, the COSPAS SARSAT network of satellites seems to be a little more robust and reliable than Iridium as a whole. Mil uses SARSAT network for it's new beacons as well.

I've decided to keep my PLB because of that. When life could depend on it, zero reason not to carry the most reliable beacon you can find.

My wife will have to live without the text messages. May just find a used Iridium Sat phone somewhere for calling home once in a while.

Last edited:

Cliffy12

WKR
From a freq standpoint, after some research, 406mhz to the SARSAT network (PLB) is a much much lower frequency than In-Reach transmits to its Iridium in (606 to 1610 or so) , so the PLB (406mhz) is generally going to be MUCH better at transmitting through cover and foliage that the In-Reach. The higher frequency waves will reflect off trees/branches etc much easier than lower freq waves...

Also, the COSPAS SARSAT network of satellites seems to be a little more robust and reliable than Iridium as a whole. Mil uses SARSAT network for it's new beacons as well.

I've decided to keep my PLB because of that. When life could depend on it, zero reason not to carry the most reliable beacon you can find.

My wife will have to live without the text messages. May just find a used Iridium Sat phone somewhere for calling home once in a while.
Thanks for the input on the different frequencies. Maybe I should look into a plb. Do any of them text?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I got the inreach a few years ago and stopped using just a GPS. Due to having onx on my phone. I didn't know that inreach has had problems with distress signals. That's the whole reason I got it. Where they only while sending texts out or actual sos signals not going through?

If you read most of the complaints they are expecting instantaneous responses from texts just like your cell phone. That's not how they work. I haven't heard of any cases yet where the SOS service didn't work as designed. I've even read guys posting reviews where they sent a text, didn't get an instant response and turned the unit off, only to get the reply the next time they turned it on. I've had no issues with my InReach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk