In the market for a new compact spotter

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
For the last quite a few years I have run a Nikon ED 50 with a MCII eye piece for my spotting scope and loved it. It started fogging up internally so I sent it in to get repaired/replaced in July. Historically I have had good luck with Nikon customer service, but not this time. They refused to repair or replace my set up, and offered me a meager credit to their website. All I wanted was for them to honor their warrantee and send me back a new spotter, but they wouldn’t. Arguing for months over IM and the phone I got them to eventually just send me the money back that I paid for the scope and eye piece. Very odd, since it would have been cheaper for them to just send me a new spotter.

Anyway, if it wasn’t for this fiasco I would just buy a new ED50, I really loved that spotter, but I figured since I am full of piss and vinegar I should see what else is on the market. When I bought my ED50 there were not that many good compact spotters out there, but it seems that has changed.

So what’s out there, that’s around a pound (I am very weight conscious), great optics, good warrantee, and has 40ish x zoom?

SirChooCH

Lil-Rokslider
Cronus 12-36x50 on sal at camera land for 399
It is hard for me to find reviews on this, is it good glass? It is in the same price range as the Kowa 501/502 and Leupold 50mm so weighing options.

brsnow

WKR
It is hard for me to find reviews on this, is it good glass? It is in the same price range as the Kowa 501/502 and Leupold 50mm so weighing options.
I have only used it briefly, just got it. I use slc binos and haven’t noticed a big difference when using both .

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Cronus 12-36x50 on sal at camera land for 399
  • Aprochromatic Lens System: Apochromatic lense system gives you the result of images which have greater contrast, sharpness and color definition
  • ED Glass: ED glass gives you an image with little or no chromatic fringe so the final result brings a clearer and sharper image to your eyes
  • ESP Dielectric Coating: ESP Dielectric Coating is a multi layer prism coating that reflects over 99% of the light to your eyes bringing you a clear, bright image that displays accurate color reproduction.
  • Magnesium Chassis: Magnesium chassis give you the strength of a metal chassis while reducing the weight as much as 30%
  • XPL Coating: XPL Coating gives you an extra protection on the exterior lenses from dirt, oil and scratches
  • Bak4 Prism: Bak-4 glass prisms reflect more light to your eyes which will give you brighter and sharper image.
  • Advanced Fully Multi-Coated: Advanced Fully Multi-Coated lenses gives you better light transmission to bring optimum brightness and true color across the entire light spectrum.
  • Argon Purged: Argon Purging uses the inertia gas with bigger size molecules to purge any moisture out of the tube giving you better waterproofing and thermal stability .
  • Waterproof: Waterproof to protects the binocular in the harshest weather conditions or if accidently submerged underwater
  • Dual Focus: Dual focus has dual speed focus knobs that offer both faster and finer focus adjustment
  • Rotating Ring: Rotating Ring allows you to rotate the scope around tripod supporting ring into the most comfortable and convenient angle for observation

Moosehunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have a kowa 553 I'd sell. Super sweet little scope but ended up deciding I use the bigger scope more. Shoot me a pm if interested

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you guys.

So it sounds like the three recommendations right now is the Kowa 553, Kowa 554, and the Athlon Cronus 12-36x50.

$399 sounds like a great deal, but I have to be honest, I don't know anything about Athlon products, and so I am skeptical. I want high quality, durable glass, that when a seal finally goes in 15 years I can get it replaced/repaired under warrantee with no fuss. Is this something I can expect from Athlon?

I don't have much experience with Kowa, but have heard some good things. Am I correct that the only difference between the 553 and the 554 is the angle or straight body?

How is Kowas customer service/warrantee?

accurat

FNG
Optics are one piece of gear that I'll gladly except the weight penalty for better optical performance and a better viewing experience. I'm not sure what your expectations are for a 1lb spotting scope, but you might really be rolling the dice. My guess is that you'll not be pleased with the quality vs weight compromise. I have the Leupold GR HD 12-40x60 at 3lbs and, while it's no Swarovski, it's compact, relatively light and checks the most boxes for my current needs.

brsnow

WKR
Thank you guys.

So it sounds like the three recommendations right now is the Kowa 553, Kowa 554, and the Athlon Cronus 12-36x50.

$399 sounds like a great deal, but I have to be honest, I don't know anything about Athlon products, and so I am skeptical. I want high quality, durable glass, that when a seal finally goes in 15 years I can get it replaced/repaired under warrantee with no fuss. Is this something I can expect from Athlon?

I don't have much experience with Kowa, but have heard some good things. Am I correct that the only difference between the 553 and the 554 is the angle or straight body?

How is Kowas customer service/warrantee?
The athlon is better than the two you listed in your post, but the Kowa is in a different class for the 55series , also why it is 4x the price.

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
Optics are one piece of gear that I'll gladly except the weight penalty for better optical performance and a better viewing experience. I'm not sure what your expectations are for a 1lb spotting scope, but you might really be rolling the dice. My guess is that you'll not be pleased with the quality vs weight compromise. I have the Leupold GR HD 12-40x60 at 3lbs and, while it's no Swarovski, it's compact, relatively light and checks the most boxes for my current needs.

People that say that "weight doesn't matter for xyz" don't hunt like I do, and that's fine. I loved everything about my ED50 (including the fact it wasn't much over a pound) and was plenty of optic for what I do. If it wasn't for the bad customer service I would just get another. But I figured I should be a good consumer and look at what else is out there, especially since there are a ton more compact spotters out now from when I bought my Nikon.

The athlon is better than the two you listed in your post, but the Kowa is in a different class for the 55series , also why it is 4x the price.

Wait, are you saying Athlon optics and quality are better than a Nikon ED50? Maybe I am showing my age here, but the ED50 was always the benchmark for compact spotters. I was never an optics snob, but all these companies I have never heard of these days, I must really be out of the loop.

brsnow

WKR
People that say that "weight doesn't matter for xyz" don't hunt like I do, and that's fine. I loved everything about my ED50 (including the fact it wasn't much over a pound) and was plenty of optic for what I do. If it wasn't for the bad customer service I would just get another. But I figured I should be a good consumer and look at what else is out there, especially since there are a ton more compact spotters out now from when I bought my Nikon.

Wait, are you saying Athlon optics and quality are better than a Nikon ED50? Maybe I am showing my age here, but the ED50 was always the benchmark for compact spotters. I was never an optics snob, but all these companies I have never heard of these days, I must really be out of the loop.
I think it is, the ED50 never impressed me. If $ isn’t an issue go Kowa 553 or 554, that is the pinnacle of glass in smaller spotting scopes.

Rob5589

WKR
I like my Ares 15-45. Very nice until about 42x then it tunnels a bit and eye relief gets tight. It ain't anywhere near a pound though, not sure what spotter weighs around a pound. Hell, scopes weigh more. Or was that a typo on your part?

OP
S

Sundodger

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Ares 15-45. Very nice until about 42x then it tunnels a bit and eye relief gets tight. It ain't anywhere near a pound though, not sure what spotter weighs around a pound. Hell, scopes weigh more. Or was that a typo on your part?

My ED50 was a bit over a pound with eyepiece and tripod mount.