Incidental predator call ins while elk hunting

Just curious how many people accidentally call in big predators (lions, bears etc.) Last week was working a bull maybe 70 yds below me in the thick stuff. Was lucky to hear a twig pop behind me (my hearing is garbage) and 11 yds behind me on the game trail was a lion, full stalk on me. I threw down my bow and tube and drew my pistol. Prior to shooting I yelled at it, but it continued to move toward me so I shot. The way it jumped I’m sure I hit it, but only found a chunk of fur. Where my bow is on the trail is where the cat was when I spotted it.

Who else has had a similar experience?

Attachments

• 8E765B23-8792-41F8-A7CF-6F075E12B0C9.jpeg
    8E765B23-8792-41F8-A7CF-6F075E12B0C9.jpeg
    726 KB · Views: 306
Have called in 2 bears in 3 years. One was small and curious, the other was large and coming in to eat.

A friend of a friend called in a small pack of wolves and actually killed one with his bow, I used to have a picture of it but lost it a few years ago.

I haven’t had them come in while hunting, but I have had lions around me when I was scouting. I had a lion charge me a couple of years ago on the way back to the truck during our first rifle season.

lak2004

WKR
I'm sure lions have come into more folks calls then they know. I've never seen one, but have had bobcats come into turkey setups. Had one within 10ft of me before I turned and saw him taking a step to me

I have called in a bear once. I met these guys a couple seasons ago, when i ran into them the next morning they looked pretty freaked out. Guess they were calling before first light and had a lion sneak up to just feet behind the caller in the bushes before it took off when they saw it

Called in a lion a few years back, while archery hunting elk with my wife.

We were in the elk, and a group of cows came racing by.
Didn’t know why at the time.

I’m focused on another group, wife whispers…”what is that, a coyote?”
I couldn’t see what she was talking about, so I stood up and the cat was maybe 5 yards away.
We surprised the shit out of each other!

Sawtoothsteve

Lil-Rokslider
Called in a black bear bluff charged and teeth popping, didn't have weapon other than bow. Brother called in a pack of wolves, circling but ultimately let him walk through. Had mountain lion stalking me.....never had to shoot any of them, but makes you pay attention for sure.

Now carry a S&W 360 as back up. Goes on the pack belt and stays there all season.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
Just got back from camping ten days on a mountain in Montana. Heard wolfs on several nights and was able to call a lone wolf in from a distant mountain howling with my mouth. Never heard a wolf that vocal and answered me back with excitement. I figured it was an older or injured wolf that was left by the pack. Also while cow calling a mountain lion came at my son with a fast sneak and when he pulled his pistol it stopped crutched staring at him. He got his phone out and took a picture, but the quality of the photo is very bad. If you look in the center of the picture you can make out a lion's face.

IMG_0226.jpg

Read1t48

WKR
2020 - pack of wolves

2021 - cat snuck into kill site in thick reprod. It was raining. Solo. Cat screamed at me from 30 yards out just as I finished 1 side of the elk. Had to muster up the courage to finish other side. That’s was fun. I then leap frogged meat out into the opening so I didn’t have to return to carcass.

2022 - black bear at almost full run coming in to a cold call cow and calf sequence in thick timber. Almost got a shot before the wind got me.

I carry a 10mm in Kenai Chest holster which rides under my bino harness. Always have. Always will. You can toss me around and throw me upside down. It will ride secure until I pull it. When the pack comes off, it’s still on me.

In almost all my experiences, I realized that the predator can be on you almost before you can draw, especially cats. They always have the element of surprise. My solace is knowing they are incredibly intelligent. They will come in close but they understand that a human doesn’t look like their prey and they pause. They are curious and almost too smart to eat you. Some of us live with a cougar, so we understand their behavior. You young guys can hone those skills at the local watering hole.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
We put a trail camera near our campsite to see what critters would come by. The first night a bear came by and ripped the camera off the tree. Knock on wood we have never had a bear wreck our camp even though they are lurking nearby at night.

Jkr61

FNG
Sow black bear w/2 cubs
Boar black bear that ended up weighing 475lbs hanging weight😳
Both last season trying to cow call. I think I might have sounded more like a calf. The sow left after telling a bunch and chucking a softball sized rock at it.
The boar I shot at about 15 yards broadsize with my bow. I had tags for elk and bear.

Attachments

• IMG_4792.jpeg
    IMG_4792.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_4791.jpeg
    IMG_4791.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_4784.jpeg
    IMG_4784.jpeg
    532.4 KB · Views: 114