Incidental predator call ins while elk hunting

Traindriver

Lil-Rokslider
Just curious how many people accidentally call in big predators (lions, bears etc.) Last week was working a bull maybe 70 yds below me in the thick stuff. Was lucky to hear a twig pop behind me (my hearing is garbage) and 11 yds behind me on the game trail was a lion, full stalk on me. I threw down my bow and tube and drew my pistol. Prior to shooting I yelled at it, but it continued to move toward me so I shot. The way it jumped I’m sure I hit it, but only found a chunk of fur. Where my bow is on the trail is where the cat was when I spotted it.

Who else has had a similar experience?
Wowser

TripleJ

WKR
I’ve called in 5 or 6 black bears over the years with cow calls. Killed 1 and missed another with my bow. The bear I killed was at 6 yards. Called in my 1st cougar (that I know of) this year and unfortunately missed it at 30 yards with my pistol, should have used my bow.IMG_0028.jpeg

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
Have not called in any that I know .
But this year I saw a cat twice , once in the headlights on the mountain driving back to camp, 2 days later laying in the trail as we were working in to our hunting spot.
a week later one ran thru our camp
There are a lot of cats this year.

TheCreeds

FNG
I have gotten to the point I carry a pistol whenever I go on the mountain. Have ran into bears and a lion were I like to fish so the pistol comes along. Some of these encounters are crazy.

Drew@selway

Lil-Rokslider
Called in a wolf this year in the fog, wild experience. I saw just a flash of him, and wasn't able to jerk out the pistol in time. The pack serenaded us as we walked out.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

We had a big griz come in to 40 yards while working a bull in thick cover a couple weeks ago in WY. Thank goodness he behaved and we vacated that ridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have had the odd grizzly come in, only once hot, we stood up to check behind us and had one running in direct to cow calls, after yelling at him he stopped at 40 yards and diverted into the bush, big bear thankfully he didn't keep coming.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sow black bear w/2 cubs
Boar black bear that ended up weighing 475lbs hanging weight😳
Both last season trying to cow call. I think I might have sounded more like a calf. The sow left after telling a bunch and chucking a softball sized rock at it.
The boar I shot at about 15 yards broadsize with my bow. I had tags for elk and bear.
Nice chocolate color phase!

Archery season - Called in a solo wolf with bugles. He came to 50 yards, and I was full draw behind a tree in a burned area. I peeked my head out, and he caught my movement and left.

Same week, I was messing around with calls while at my pickup, and I heard a dried bear grass stem crack. Turned to look, and two wolves were creeping in.

Called in plenty of black bears. Friend I was hunting with called in a sow griz and 2 cubs.

Rifle season - Using cow calls during opening day while I was hunting, I ran into a pack of four wolves. They were about 15 yards away when we saw each other. There was about a foot of snow, and one wolf broke from the pack, stopped broadside at 17 yards, and I shot him. They were stalking into me as I was cow calling. It was a male black wolf. Crazy thing is that I recovered the bullet from the taxidermist. He was shot with a 300wsm 180 gr. Accubond.

I was hunting solo and thankfully had put one in the chamber because when I was hiking into this area in the dark, I heard a mountain lion scream. Therefore, I was able to quickly deshoulder my weapon and execute a shot.
d230a09ef829b5526a490b64b6cfecb0.jpg
837544066efebf58d6ec0ec014fcfb04.jpg

OP
nidahobrushswimmer
Archery season - Called in a solo wolf with bugles. He came to 50 yards, and I was full draw behind a tree in a burned area. I peeked my head out, and he caught my movement and left.

Same week, I was messing around with calls while at my pickup, and I heard a dried bear grass stem crack. Turned to look, and two wolves were creeping in.

Called in plenty of black bears. Friend I was hunting with called in a sow griz and 2 cubs.

Rifle season - Using cow calls during opening day while I was hunting, I ran into a pack of four wolves. They were about 15 yards away when we saw each other. There was about a foot of snow, and one wolf broke from the pack, stopped broadside at 17 yards, and I shot him. They were stalking into me as I was cow calling. It was a male black wolf. Crazy thing is that I recovered the bullet from the taxidermist. He was shot with a 300wsm 180 gr. Accubond.

I was hunting solo and thankfully had put one in the chamber because when I was hiking into this area in the dark, I heard a mountain lion scream. Therefore, I was able to quickly deshoulder my weapon and execute a shot.
d230a09ef829b5526a490b64b6cfecb0.jpg
837544066efebf58d6ec0ec014fcfb04.jpg

Geez, assuming you aren’t far from me across the border judging by the amount of wolves you run into

lang

Lil-Rokslider
Took this cat 20 yards during elk season. Hadn't called for a while, but it came in and wasn't leaving. It was locked on my brother and I swung around him and shot. He didn't have a clue I had a tag or that the season was open, just thought I was saving his life!
Screenshot_20230804-104809~2.png