Incorporating step ups

Josh Gray

FNG
I do them during a muscular endurance phase that I slot in between seasons. The workout usually has step ups, step downs, squat jumps, and split jump squats. All four are on time rather than reps. I'll start with some active stretching and follow the ME with a really short, easy run. I cut back on hill/intensity running workouts during that phase so I can still recover and do my distance workouts. I use a Rogue box and a plate vest from Kensui. Makes it easy to add 10% each week throughout the phase. It's all Training for the Uphill Athlete type planning.
I’m in the middle of an ME phase doing this exact workout + hill sprints 1x each week as we speak 👍 love the UA/Evoke stuff

ItemB

Lil-Rokslider
Haven't followed this yet but strongfirst usually has good and legit stuff.

Lots of good intel in this thread. For what it’s worth, in the winter when it’s cold and dark and I don’t feel like getting out for a ruck or trail run, I’ll do 30-45 min of weighted step ups while watching an episode of something or listening to a podcast or audiobook.

Cheaper than buying a treadmill!

Beendare

WKR
I am with Will_M on this.…boooring….even though an ex NFL buddy swears by those body weight squats.

I see the most notable improvement running stairs. Even the football bleachers at the local HS can make for a good workout, and one of mine is only 26 steps.

1jeds

FNG
I'm currently doing the MTI backcountry hunt packet, which is 29 weeks in total. Right now is just the base phase, and I'm at 350x step ups with a 30# vest completed yesterday. Looking ahead to the final 8 weeks of the build, it works up to 1,000x step ups with 40#. This is in addition to rucks with a heavier pack and other workouts.

It is also on top of my normal running, but I think they complement each other. It is never too early to build strong legs for the mountain, in my opinion.

Ramem7mm

FNG
I incorporate them in my leg day routine with a weighted pack as well as holding dumbbells. I have some lower leg injury/ muscle degeneration maybe and I noticed walking downhill hurt my lower legs the worst so I do a step up and then step down turn around and do it over. It seems to have helped. Nothing can replace the real thing of walking in the mountains though but I don't have them in my backyard to get a work out in after work so I do what I can.

WKR
I’ve gone through periods of trying to incorporate step-ups. All things considered, I never considered the juice worth the squeeze, whether used for strength or conditioning.

For conditioning, if I can’t hike, I’d rather walk up and down steps or on the treadmill on an incline. A weight vest or pack makes either challenging.

For strength, I like single leg squats from a box (side) sometimes called single leg “VMO squats.” This can be quite challenging by doing it slowly and adjusting the height of the box. Then you could get into wearing a pack. I’ve done similar movements to single leg VMO squats in deadfall many times in a days hunt. A single leg VMO squat from the side of a box is a little like a step-up and a little like a “pistol” squat but not quite the same as either. Look it up.

Last edited: