Indisisive in picking new rifle.

OP
S
I dont think this forum helps with buying decisions. In my experience it usually makes it worse.

The Tikka or Browning would both be great. Pick the one that fits you best.
Defiantly has not made the choice easier but more information and opinions to draw on is always good.

sndmn11

WKR
Adding the vanguard to the list. How do you like the stock of the vanguard compared to the Tikka?
I have a Vanguard Wilderness and gave my Tikka to my step-dad. The Wilderness and Backcountry are the lighter weight veraions. Mine with detachable mag is 6.25lbs. The B&C stock gives at least a better perception of a more solid rifle, just like I think a lot say after putting one in their Tikka. The stocks on the cheapest Vanguard's I believe are just as adequate as what is standard on a Tikka,they just weigh more.

RS3579

WKR
I’m partial to Browning. I have 5 of them. I had 1 tikka and sold it. I just saw some decent deals at Bass Pro/Cabelas on Browning Xbolt. Take a look, sometimes the prices makes the decision for you.

OXN939

WKR
I dont think this forum helps with buying decisions. In my experience it usually makes it worse.

The Tikka or Browning would both be great. Pick the one that fits you best.

I actually picked up an X Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creed on Friday. The three round groups I've shot so far are strange- first round is about an inch towards 7 o'clock relative to POA, and the other two are touching each other about an inch high at 2 o'clock. I've repeated this grouping with, so far, three different kinds of factory ammo. The fourth I tried was about a 3" group. Could very well be the barrel breaking in, as I'm only about 20 rounds in... but a little disconcerting for a thousand dollar rifle. Will update as I get more reps in with it.

OP
S
I'm really liking the action on the Tikka and cant seem to find a bad review on them outside of recoil, Would likely add a B&C stock. Would reconsider caliber
I actually picked up an X Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in 6.5 Creed on Friday. The three round groups I've shot so far are strange- first round is about an inch towards 7 o'clock relative to POA, and the other two are touching each other about an inch high at 2 o'clock. I've repeated this grouping with, so far, three different kinds of factory ammo. The fourth I tried was about a 3" group. Could very well be the barrel breaking in, as I'm only about 20 rounds in... but a little disconcerting for a thousand dollar rifle. Will update as I get more reps in with it.
Man I almost picked that one up last week while it was on sale. Sure hope you find a round it likes

TwoTracks

FNG
I wouldn’t do a B&C stock if you have other options for the action. I still own one, but it’s on a heavy varmint gun. There are some great options out there for backpacking rifles these days.

You mentioned backpacking. How light are you wanting to get? That could greatly affect your choice too. It’s a balance between wanting to carry the rifle and wanting to practice a bunch with it. A 10lbs rifle would be fine in many areas in the Midwest. It would be horrible above 10k, especially traveling from the Midwest.

OXN939

WKR
I'm really liking the action on the Tikka and cant seem to find a bad review on them outside of recoil, Would likely add a B&C stock. Would reconsider caliber

Man I almost picked that one up last week while it was on sale. Sure hope you find a round it likes

Me too man. Bolt was kinda tough to close on a few rounds, as well... fingers really crossing that everything is hooked up right.

16Bore

WKR
It all depends on which philosophy you buy into. Seems you’re already on the Tikka stocks stuck bandwagon. There’s the Remington QC and triggers, the M70’s are too heavy.

Pick a team and play on it.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
I got a Remington Model Seven in .308. I really like it.
Before I bought it, I mentioned my concerns to a Remington rep at a Sniper Competition, he told me if there are any issues, they will make it right and he gave me his business card. I went ahead and got the rifle. It is honestly a 1 MOA gun. I shot several 1 1/3 inch three shot groups at 100 in prone unsupported with a Wilderness Rhodesian sling and Leupold 4x scope. That is with the factory stock too. I have a Bell and Carlson on the way now. I may not be much more accurate than that with any rifle from an unsupported position, but I would bet it is a sub moa gun from sandbags. And with some barrel cooling time. 5 shot groups open way up due to the thin barrel.

I know there are probably plenty of rifles that are a better bet for accuracy from the factory. But I just really like the feel of a Remington from having shot them in the USMC. I’d look at Bergara, Weatherby, Kimber, Savage, and several others if you don’t like Tikka. I looked at Tikka and just didn’t like the feel. Lots of guns have Sub MOA guarantees now. Pick one that fits and feels right. Then get some practice shooting from realistic positions.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Another small thing that pushed me a little further from a Tikka and closer to other actions; the Tikka .308 is the same action as the 30-06 length action. They just move the bolt stop closer to the front. The wasted space and weight was probably a bigger turn off than it needed to be for me, but I just couldn’t get past that for some reason. So if you do sell yourself on the Tikka, maybe go ahead and jump up to the 30-06. You will be carrying the longer action regardless.

rootacres

WKR
I am looking to make a new purchase that will be my all around hunting rifle for deer and elk. I'm partial to 308 and have been looking at the Tikka T3x lite SS, Remington SPS SS, and Browning X bolt. I really like the action of the tikka but hate the stock. Also I'm not sure how my accuracy would be with such a light gun. Any feed back or suggestions greatly appreciated.

My brother has a Christensen Arms Mesa in 308 and it’s been awesome.The tikka is a good option. I also think that the Bergara B14 hunters are very underrated. My 308 was sub MOA with factory ammo. And having the same footprint as the rem 700 lends itself to having a lot of aftermarket options.

Mosby

WKR
I would buy the Kimber Hunter on sale at Cabela's in a 308 and never look back.

Sled

WKR
if you do go with a kimber, consider higher rings and a comb pad to allow more room for bolt lift. mine is pretty tight with talley lows.

OP
S
Thanks for all the feed back guys! I ended up finding a good deal on a weatherby vanguard s2 ss, after shouldering the rifle it felt the best compared to the tikka which was hard to pass on,, and the lower price means more money on a scope!

OXN939

WKR
and the lower price means more money on a scope!

These are sage words. Lots of people out there who spend absurd amounts of money trying to improve their rifles without making the requisite investment in optics.

wyosam

WKR
Good news. It is almost impossible to buy a bad rifle these days. Even the $300 ones shoot well enough to be a reliable hunting rifle at reasonable range (and sometimes at not so reasonable ranges, too). Pick one you like the feel of. Some have more pets available than others, but they probably don’t actually NEED any of those parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks for all the feed back guys! I ended up finding a good deal on a weatherby vanguard s2 ss, after shouldering the rifle it felt the best compared to the tikka which was hard to pass on,, and the lower price means more money on a scope!
Fantastic choice!
I have some Talley lows that I could never sell. If you want them just pay shipping.

I am a Remington fan but if I was looking for a rifle I didn’t have to change a lot on I’d go with the Tikka

I took a long range shooting class titled “Long Range Hunter” at a well respected facility that trains a lot of tactical units and swat teams. The instructor told us that of all the different rifles he sees come through the class the Tikkas are the best performing guns he sees, and that’s what he recommended if we were in the market for a new gun. I asked him if there were a specific Tikka he liked and he said “No, they’re all pretty good”.