Indisisive in picking new rifle.

I am looking to make a new purchase that will be my all around hunting rifle for deer and elk. I'm partial to 308 and have been looking at the Tikka T3x lite SS, Remington SPS SS, and Browning X bolt. I really like the action of the tikka but hate the stock. Also I'm not sure how my accuracy would be with such a light gun. Any feed back or suggestions greatly appreciated.

OP
S
For some background I typically hunt whitetails in the Midwest but have started going on a elk or mule deer back packing hunt every year as well.

TwoTracks

FNG
Sounds like you’d be fine with any of those rifles in 308. Buy what you want and order a new stock as your funds allow. Kind of like picking between Ford, Dodge, Chevy. Replace the ugly wheels and tires after you’ve worn the stock rubber down. After market triggers, stocks, etc are easier to find for the Remington but you’ll find what you need for the other rifles too. Buy what appeals the most to you and buy/load a bunch of ammo.

Anello

Lil-Rokslider
Tough call. If you can deal with the Rem 700 action, parts and pieces are far easier to find down the road. I got lucky and bought one that shoots straight and has no apparent issues, although I did replace the trigger. Model 7's are great as well. But. lots of Tikka fans on this site, and, having just bought one myself, I understand their loyalty. Finally, don't sleep on Weatherby. I own a Vanguard Backcountry that is as accurate a factory rifle as I have ever handled. Best of luck with the purchase.

OP
S
I would avoid the lottery that is a Remington (i.e money pit) and look either at the Tikka or Browning. But that's me...
I have been a Remington fan in the past but these were all rifles that are at least 15 years old. If it wasn't for the QC concerns it would be a easy choice.

I have the Tikka T3 SL and the Browning HCS. I like both rifles and they are both accurate. I find myself grabbing the Tikka more often and it is less expensive. As to the Model 7 mentioned above, it gets a lot of use here in Mississippi during Whitetail season. I would feel comfortable with any you have mentioned in the .308.

OP
S
Tough call. If you can deal with the Rem 700 action, parts and pieces are far easier to find down the road. I got lucky and bought one that shoots straight and has no apparent issues, although I did replace the trigger. Model 7's are great as well. But. lots of Tikka fans on this site, and, having just bought one myself, I understand their loyalty. Finally, don't sleep on Weatherby. I own a Vanguard Backcountry that is as accurate a factory rifle as I have ever handled. Best of luck with the purchase.
Adding the vanguard to the list. How do you like the stock of the vanguard compared to the Tikka?

Desert Dan

Lil-Rokslider
I went through something similar not that long ago and decided to spend a little extra on a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC. Figured the rifle will last me my lifetime (maybe a new barrel along the way) so what's a couple hundred dollars more. Overall I'm very happy with it and know if can easily drop a mulie out to 500 yards. Got it for longer shots out west but wouldn't hesitate taking it along for whitetails in Wisconsin.

I wouldn't turn your nose up at Savage, either....great price point, endlessly customizable, and they can shoot...

Tikka- the action is med-long so get a Long action caliber- 270win or 30-06. If you go 308 change the bolt stop to long and get a long mag so you can seat bullets out to 3” and get ‘06 performance. Or step up to the WSM line and seat them out long for great performance on elk! They offer wood and laminate stocks. A few aftermarket options.

This was a tikka lite. Still in 308 long action!
3BE99ABD-69A1-4B35-A294-DE999D161E53.jpeg

N2TRKYS

WKR
I have been a Remington fan in the past but these were all rifles that are at least 15 years old. If it wasn't for the QC concerns it would be a easy choice.

I've got older and new Remington M700s and Model Sevens. I've yet to buy one that wasn't accurate.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I bought a model 7 hs ss, and I love it. Mines in 7-08, but it's available in .308 if that's what your stuck on. 7-08 does a fine job on coastal Roosevelt here in Washington, fwiw

I bought a new Model Seven SS 7-08 three years ago. I bought a Model Seven SS in 308 last year. Both have proven to be very accurate little rifles.

Sled

WKR
tikka or browning or vanguard will be fine. the tikka and browning have better factory triggers. browing has the better stock. you could always buy a used tikka or find a deal on the web. then all you need to do is sell the factory stock and buy what you want. B&C is a budget friendly stock but may also have some QC issues. the factory tikka stock is functional and you'll likely get used to it.

Bfish22

Lil-Rokslider
Tikka- the action is med-long so get a Long action caliber- 270win or 30-06. If you go 308 change the bolt stop to long and get a long mag so you can seat bullets out to 3” and get ‘06 performance. Or step up to the WSM line and seat them out long for great performance on elk! They offer wood and laminate stocks. A few aftermarket options.

This was a tikka lite. Still in 308 long action!
View attachment 173339

what stock is this?